Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best progressive for cast boolits?

Boolit Master

best progressive for cast boolits?

whats the best progressive press for loading cast boolits?

im planning on loading .30-06, .223, .44mag, .10mm on it.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Dillon 550 for pistol stuff, works great. Never tried rifle ammo on a progressive.

DILLON 550B, not just because I use one... I have RCBS, Herters', Holidays, and couple of lee o's ...
    Have a single stage for specialty and trial loads ( I have couple a rock crusher's for that...)
    The Dillon will pay for itself in short order if you shoot much. It's versatile, strong, doesn't have much automatic cr*p to go wrong or fiddle with like the 650 or other progressives, and anyone can still load 300+ rounds an hour with one...MUCH more in pistol calibers.
    And the Dillon "no BS gaurantee", customer bill of rights, customer service is second to none... you simply have to try it to believe it.

I failed to mention what I load in my Dillon...
    .223, .270, 7mm TCU, 30/30 (many, many hundreds), .308, 30-06, .416 Rem, 45/70 Gov't, and thousands of pistol rounds for myself by other family members in .38, .357 mag, .44 Spl., .45ACP, and .45 Colt.
    And no problems other than a primer feed base hiccup... And Dillon sent me a whole new assembly as well as pickup tube set!! WOW!!

Boolit Master

Dillon RL-550B. Perhaps not as fast as some of the other progressives but, initially, less expensive and less prone to malfunction than the more complex units. Also, the interchangeable toolheads make switching of calibers quick and simple. I bought my RL-550 shortly after the model was introduced in the mid-1980s and later upgraded it for automatic powder and primer feed. At a guess, I'd say I've probably loaded close to a quarter-million rounds of assorted handgun ammo on that press without a single major failure. An even today...after over 25 years of use...if something does break, under Dillon's warranty all it takes is a phone call to Customer Service to get repair/replacement parts headed my way.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I'm using a Loadmaster for those calibers.

I use the RCBS Pro2000 for all of my pistol stuff. Pull 2 pins to change die plates and one bolt to change the shell plate. I can change calibers in just a minute or two. I've only loaded .223 Rem as far as rifle rounds go. It is very durable. I've only had 1 part break and it was my fault. I called RCBS to order a replacement and they told me not to worry about it they would send me a replacement for free. This was even after I told them it was my fault. Now THAT is customer service!
    Last edited by Gunsmoke4570; 03-26-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Correction
    Gunsmoke4570

Boolit Master

Talking

I have two Dillon 550B's one set up for small primers and one set up for large primers. I also use a Rock Chucker for load development.

Boolit Master

If the bullet is cast or jacketed, it makes no difference at all to the press. Sounds like the question is more "Which is the best progressive press."
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I prefer the Dillon Powder Funnel for loading cast. Lyman expander is nice. But I prefer the Dillon steup from a powder measure combined with expander perspective.

In my opinion I like the Dillon 550B. I have 2 of them and 2 single stage Lee classic for prep work when I do 223 rounds.

In Remembrance

If you process your brass as full length sizeing it will be a slow process as you must lube either on a block or lube pad before loading in the shellholder. If you size off the progressive then run them thru the remaining stages it will work fairly well. I have a Hornady Pro-Jector that I load bottle necked cases on, so I do speak from experience. Carbide sizer depriming dies are common for straight walled pistol cases. Bottle necked rifle cases have a body taper that makes a carbide sizer senseless. If neck sizeing only then a progressive will work acceptably.Robert

I've loaded a few thousand of each cartridge (.30 Mauser & 25-20WCF) perfectly on my AP, when these two rounds met destruction on the 550B. The Dillon was a good press for the other mass reloading needs.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Master
    IME Dillon presses, I really like the 650.

IME Dillon pistol dies also. They are easy to clean without losing your settings! Not sure about their rifle dies as I have not used them though.

dillon xl650

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    dillon xl650
    Derek, You tryin to tell us something here? Can't quite figure out what yer gettin at.
    Jon

Boolit Master

I've got a Super 1050 that loads my 9mm lead RN bullets just fine, but the 1050 is overkill...although I like overkill.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Roundnoser View Post
    Derek, You tryin to tell us something here? Can't quite figure out what yer gettin at.

Me likes the Blue Kool aide

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Grand Master

Another vote for the Dillon 550B. The 650 and other presses that auto index are fine for the handgun cartridges but they are to "busy" for the rifle cartridges if you do any experimenting with loads or change loads.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Another vote for the Dillon 550B. The 650 and other presses that auto index are fine for the handgun cartridges but they are to "busy" for the rifle cartridges if you do any experimenting with loads or change loads.

Larry Gibson
    I work 'em up on the 550B

when I find my "pet load", I crank 'em out on the 650

The 650 with the 1200B trimmer is an AMAZING machine for prepping rifle brass

I Love them both

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC