RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun show reloads potential disaster

Boolit Buddy

Gun show reloads potential disaster

A while back I was out shooting with a friend who brought out his SA Omega in 10MM, a high performance pistol for a high performance cartridge. In a moment of weakness he had bought a ziploc bag of reloads at a gunshow marked 10MM 155 gr. RNFP, copper plated. First four shots didn't feel quite right so he stopped firing and went hunting for the 4 cases. Every one was a hair away from rupturing through a large bulge in the side of the web of the case. We pulled several bullets later and discovered that the loads were obviously hot from the experience at the range but the bullets were 180 grain, not 155. So a hot load for the lightest bullets found in 10 MM cases was actually throwing the heaviest bullets for the 10MM case. Pressures through the roof in an already high pressure cartridge. To make matters worse we measured several cases we pulled bullets from and they measured from .008" under trim to length to .007" over max. case length. I am sure he will never buy gun show reloads again and I would exhort everyone reading this it is not worth the risk no matter how lucky the past has been to you.

Moderator Emeritus

I don't buy anyones reloads, I don't really like anyone else shooting my reloads, but I have relented a few times. There is only one person whose reloads I will shoot other than my own, and that's only because i have shot with this person long enough to know they know what they're doing.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    I don't buy anyones reloads, I don't really like anyone else shooting my reloads, but I have relented a few times. There is only one person whose reloads I will shoot other than my own, and that's only because i have shot with this person long enough to know they know what they're doing.
    Exactly! The closest I've come to using someone else's reloads is buying reloads from the range I used to shoot at.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

If they are not a licensed ammunition manufacturer I do not buy their stuff. It is either factory ammunition or my own reloads. Nothing else.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    What Trey and Doby said.

Boolit Master

I don't even trust my own reloads( for other people). I used to load cowboy loads for a friend but decided I just didn't need the liability. So now I run his cases through my Dillon, size, deprime, flare the case. Then he comes over and on his Rockchucker I mounted in my shop he charges and seats/crimps the bullet. His components, he does the dangerous part. Helps him out and now if he blows up his gun it's on him. I do supervise as much as possible as he really isn't a reloader, but I think I have reduced the danger as much as possible.

Boolit Master
    A cowboy shooter I know in our SASS club was ordering reloads from a catalog (38 Specials) some of them would reach the targets (21' away) some of them would plop out on the ground 4 or 5 feet from the target, and some would almost tear his hand off with recoil. He was not a reloader but those reloads made a believer out of him so he invested in reloading equipment. I won't reload for anyone except my family.

Boolit Grand Master
    I can't even fathom the idea of buying gunshow reloads.

Like has been said, factory or mine. I have shot loads from my FIL but he taught me to reload and 25 plus years has told me I can trust his loads.

Can't remember last time I shot factory though.

Vendor Sponsor

This gets talked about over and over and is one of the set in stone mantras of shooting.

That said shooting someone elses .45 ACP's is a far cry from shooting 10MM's

Buying ammo from an unknown source for a hotrod like the 100MM is just asking for trouble.

I don't know what more can be said.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I agree to all. only loads i will shoot are mine or my dad's since that where I learned to reload anyways and has proven good for 25 years now. Only person I let shoot my loads are me and my son. Ya its a family love affair with shooting and reloading.

I run across folks shooting "Baggie Brand" ammo at the range quite often. I try and stay as far away from them as I can, so I won't get hit by the debris.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Back when 9mm was dirt cheap I bought reloads from a outfit that mfg them never had a problem they came in a nice white box with there name stamped on it at the time it was about a buck more then I could reload for.

NO ZIP LOCK BAGS HERE.

I won't shoot any friends reloads.

Boolit Master
    I made that mistake once, 23 years ago. I blew up a minty Colt Police Positive .32 using "Baggie brand" reloads from a show. It was pretty exciting. The top strap bent up in a "U", and the top three chambers in the cylinder disappeared. Felt and sounded like a .357 going off. Learned that lesson the hard way.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    I run across folks shooting "Baggie Brand" ammo at the range quite often. I try and stay as far away from them as I can, so I won't get hit by the debris.
    Nice!

Boolit Master
    Yeah...Even reloads among friends are questionable. One thing to get my hands all bloody because of my mistake, another to have them that way because of someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by philthephlier View Post
    So a hot load for the lightest bullets found in 10 MM cases was actually throwing the heaviest bullets for the 10MM case.
    Actually, 135 gr is the lightest 10mm bullet, and 230 is the heaviest, at least commercially. See Double Tap Ammo.

Gun Show Reloads

Actually there isn't anything wrong with buying reloads as long as you get them cheap enough that you can break them down, throw the powder away and use the primed brass and/or bullets. The problem lies in putting them in your gun when you don't know what is in each and every one of them.

I NEVER shoot any reloads but my own or factory manuf (BlackHills, GA,etc). Shooting strange reloads is like sex w/ a prostitute; you never know how it's going to go or what you'll walk aways with.

Boolit Buddy
    I pass along some rounds to friends but never exceed manual limits. Friends get Christmas presents of ammo--never had any returned--lol.

Boolit Master

A guy at work gave me some .223 that his dad had loaded up, prior to passing away. Never could bring myself to shoot them. I have plenty of brass and loaded .223 of my own,, so one of these days I'll have to pull em down and get it over with... Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    i have come across the baggie rounds. no thanks i roll my own i tell them.

the only thing that comes in a baggie i would be tempted to buy, is odd ball looking lead projectiles to load up.

the fun is when they say i custom make these rounds hotter then factory and highly accurate.