RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Sight adjustment

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory

Sight adjustment

I put a Lyman receiver sight on a Win 94. To get the POI and the POA adjusted, I had to raise the receiver sight .200" above the lowest position.

My first question is: Will reducing the height of the front sight enable me to move the zero of the rear sight lower, so as to not have it extended as much as it is now?

Second question: Will the amout of reduction be equal - front sight and rear sight?
    A 1 - 1 ratio?
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Grand Master
    1. No.

2. Not the way you are thinking. The difference will be inverse.

To explain my short answers above, remeber the acronym FORS-- Front Opposite, Rear Same. Lowering the front sight will raise the point of impact, lowering the rear sight will lower the point of impact.

The solution you are looking for is to put a taller front sight on the rifle. From your dimensions, I would get a front sight about .200" taller than the one you have now.

Here is a write up that I found and saved about three computers ago:
    How can I determine the amount of sight correction needed to sight in my pistol or rifle?

A: You multiply the sight radius (in inches) by the amount of error (also in inches). You then divide this number by the range in inches. The result is the amount of correction in thousandths to adjust the sight to correct point of aim.

Example 1: Handgun shooting 4” low at 50 feet with a sight radius of 8 inches. 8x4=32 32 divided by 600 (50 feet times 12 inches per foot) =.0533. The front sight needs to be lowered by approximately .053” or rear sight raised approximately .053”.

Example 2: Rifleshooting 11" high at 100 yards with the rear sight all the way down. The rifle has a sight radius of 17 inches. 11x17=187 187 divided by 3600 (100 yards times 36 inches per yard) =.0519. The front sight needs to be raised by approximately .052" or the rear sight lowered by approximately .052".
    Hope this helps,

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by oneokie View Post
    I put a Lyman receiver sight on a Win 94. To get the POI and the POA adjusted, I had to raise the receiver sight .200" above the lowest position.

My first question is: Will reducing the height of the front sight enable me to move the zero of the rear sight lower, so as to not have it extended as much as it is now?

Second question: Will the amout of reduction be equal - front sight and rear sight?
    A 1 - 1 ratio?
    1. Yes. 2. Yes. Lower front sight = higher POI for a given rear sight setting. Lower your rear sight to your desired point then file the front sight until desired POI is achieved. I would do it this way rather than simply chop the .20 off the front as metal is hard to put back once it is gone and as the front sight is cut away, its shape may fool your eyes a little..

Front Sight Height

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneokie
    "I put a Lyman receiver sight on a Win 94. To get the POI and the POA adjusted, I had to raise the receiver sight .200" above the lowest position.

A 1 - 1 ratio?"

Lowering the front sight will allow you to lower the rear sight to maintain your present zero. Assuming this is a Model 94 with a dovetail front sight, rather than filing the sight down, I would suggest buying and installing a lower front sight. Brownells offers an extensive selection of front sights of different heights and also has a sight height calculator to enable you to calculate the height of the front sight that you need. Following their fromula, a reduction of the front sight height of .1" would call for the same reduction in the rear sight height to maintain the same point of impact, although experience indicates that this doesn't always quite work out, for various reasons.

Good Luck.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by hhranch View Post
    Quote:although experience indicates that this doesn't always quite work out, for various reasons.

Good Luck.
    I believe that. According to the formula in post #2, there is a .040" difference in what should be the height of the rear sight and what I had to actually raise it.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud