Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: converting a carcano to 7.62X39

Boolit Master
    About the gas port of the sks barrels. Install one shortened setcrew 1st then do another firts a liberal coatinh of some good threadlocker. Frank

Boolit Master
    see photos of the work in progress.

original barrel stub was cut off and drilled 18mm with a 24mm X 4mm counter bore as earlier stated. barrel was contoured to match. head spaced, cross-pinned, and plumber soldered.

i added an FN/FAL combo device after shortening the barrel to 14.5". combo is silver soldered and makes 16.25" so is legal. this mod covered the gas vent so no worries.

the stock had 16"pull, so i cut it back to 14.25, but have not yet reshaped the recoil pad or added sling swivels. added a side mount for scope made from 1/8 X 3" flat bar that holds line of sight offset 1" left of bore and 2" above center line. this gives perfect left eye alignment with existing stock. working on thumb screws. the little red c clamp is not a permanent feature.

i used a single stack AK mag,which required relief of the lower area of the action and widening of the mag well, the addition of a front lug point, and build-up of the stock bloc-clip release to act as a mag release. controlled feed design makes the 7.62X39 feed slick. no worries. 36" OAL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC0025200X.jpg   DSC0025300Z.jpg   DSC0025400Z.jpg  

Justashooter, that is a really nice looking setup!

Could you please give details of the work done to relieve the magwell for the AK magazine and the modifications to the lug point and stock bloc-clip release? Some pics of the action without the mag installed would be great.

That's an awesome little brush gun.

Boolit Master

Nice.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I'm glad you didn't let any one stifle your dreams. I hate it when that happens.

That's a nice looking finished project. How does it shoot?

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    I'm glad you didn't let any one stifle your dreams. I hate it when that happens.

That's a nice looking finished project. How does it shoot?

HollowPoint
    test fired yesterday with a friend. scope mounting screws did not hold tight, so i am upgrading to 1/4 X 28 and locktite. suffice to say from the shooters position it handles like a dream. low recoil and noise. those standing on the side get a chance to enjoy the effect of the brake. no visual signature at sunset. total loaded weight of nearly 8 pounds, with balance in the middle of magazine well. a bit heavier than i wanted, but the carcano action is built like a tank, and the wood is a good dense grain black walnut.

the best part? less than a hundred bux en totem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	semi_suomi.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	175659
    Last edited by justashooter; 09-02-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Any worries about the soft soldered and pinned barrel working loose after a few hundred rounds?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Any worries about the soft soldered and pinned barrel working loose after a few hundred rounds?
    like i said, it has a positive stop in the breach end, with a counterbore of the original barrel stub and a complementary turning of the new barrel breach. can't go anywhere.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not too worried about it going anywhere, but you basicly installed a barrel liner that is only supported at the breech end, a slip fit(not pressed or you wouldn't be able to get solder to flow into the joint) so I was wondering if it might loosen(solder is soft) after repeated firing and the barrel vibrating. Noone ever seen a pinned barrel SKS that never put two bullets anywhere close to each other after it had sent a few hundred rounds down range? I have. Keep us posted on accuracy results after you've given it a good work out, just curious.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    test fired yesterday with a friend. scope mounting screws did not hold tight, so i am upgrading to 1/4 X 28 and locktite. suffice to say from the shooters position it handles like a dream. low recoil and noise. those standing on the side get a chance to enjoy the effect of the brake. no visual signature at sunset. total loaded weight of nearly 8 pounds, with balance in the middle of magazine well. a bit heavier than i wanted, but the carcano action is built like a tank, and the wood is a good dense grain black walnut.

the best part? less than a hundred bux en totem.
    I know I initially questioned the feasibility of this, but I am truly glad to see this worked out for you. Dare I say I may infringe an your patents! It looks way better than I imagined with a low cost and readily available ammo to boot!

GOOD WORK!

Boolit Master
    I seem to remember there being some UK conversions of the Carcano to 7.62X51 that were accomplised by threading a .308 bore barrel into the cutoff shank of the original barrel. These were products of a commercial gunmaking firm, though I forget which company.
    The converted Carcano was mainly for high power match shooting.

I once saw a thread on these where an ower of a similar conversion told how an overload had caused the barrel to jump two threads. The owner found no cracks so he just screwed the barrel back into the shank with no further problems. I guess the original barrel steel is very elastic. Probably the "Poldi" steel I've read about.

The British tried a pressed fit and pinned composite barrel for the No.4 rifle at one time. The barrel and shank with chamber were made separately.
    These did not hold up well and soon worked loose, though I don't think any blew out.

PS
    High Force 44 is the strongest silver solder I've ever run across. It gives the holding power of brazing but at a much lower heat so heat treatments aren't compromised.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Actually, Hornady is supplying boxer primed ammo with correct diameter bullets that are
    reported to massively improve the accuracy. It should be pretty easy to get the gun
    shooting.

Bill
    UNless you just want a shop project, this would be the way to go. Privi Partisan brass is available as well. SMLEs convert to 7.62x39 with the original barrel!

Practicality aside, look like an interesting project.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Braze a little exhaust pipe on it? Pointing out to the side of course. lol.

Either that or cut it off, re-jig the stock and end up with a single shot or mag fed bolt pistol.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workplace violence.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	72848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kit 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	72846

per an inquiry, the update is that the upgrade in scope mounting screws to 1/4 28 is holding solid, and we are on paper at 25 yards with a 1" group offhand, so i should expect half that or better from a rest. the barrel is 14" now, so velocity is prolly around 2200 for the 125 grain spitzer. with a scope 2" over bore and crossing line of sight at 25 yards we are back on line of sight at 150, no more than 2" above between, and about 4 down at 200 yards.

next project is hogging out a 357 maximum barrel blank to 35 remington and mating to same action type $50 donor gun and whatever box magazine fits and feeds single stack. looking for magazine and die set. have tons of factory ammo, but sold the dies and empties to some nice fellow on this board some months ago.
    Last edited by justashooter; 06-06-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Actually a SMLE or No4 used barrel might do it. I have a new No4 Bbl in the safe, but I'm a long way away and don't want to part with it anyway, lol.

Why not a 358 Gremlin? http://www.bfgcartridges.com/358Gremlin.html
    You might even be able to get a threaded, chambered barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
    Why not a 358 Gremlin? http://www.bfgcartridges.com/358Gremlin.html
    You might even be able to get a threaded, chambered barrel.
    a neat alternative, but i happen to have 10 boxes of factory 35 remington on hand, and the donor barrel. also thinking that i can load spitzers to 52 KSI in this action, as opposed toflat points at 38-40 KSI loads designed for lever guns. should approach 358 win ballistics.

anywho, the range report from "Frozen Nutz 10" is that i am on a 6" plate at 100 yards reliably. function is 100% after a total of about 60 rounds downrange.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tuvwx2.jpg   klt.jpg   kit 2.jpg  
    Last edited by justashooter; 01-09-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Boolit Mold

Bolt Face

Did you have to make any adjustments to the Bolt or extractor?

Boolit Master
    no adjustments to bolt or extractor. 30AK is same base as both 6.5 and 7.35 italian. controlled feed requires a single stack magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    picked up a nicely sporterized 1891 carcano in 6.5 ...

...these rifles languish out there for under 50 bux,
    I haven't seen one of those offered for $50 in quite a while. If I did stumble upon one in good condition at a price like that, it would probably follow me home.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus