Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best 22?

What is the best 22?

I am thinking of getting a 22 lever gun, what do you all think would be the best bang for your buck under 500? Is it realistic to hope for something around or under 300?

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    Bought a used Browning BL22 standard grade jap made for 235.00 some years back. It has been the most accurate caliber .22 repeater rifle I have owned. You can get one for about the same price .. just shop about. Mine does NOT like cheap ammo. Has a tight chamber but sure does shoot the better ammo nicely.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    I'd look for a used Marlin - Should fit your under 5 estimate.
    Like 450ish - if you do better it was a deal.
    Broker is a nice place to search for going rates.

I have seen the Henry on line but I have yet to fondle one. I really do want a full size one.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    MARLIN 39 in any of it's many variations. I've never seen an inaccurate one, all steel and wood, (at least all I've ever seen) USA made, and sturdy as can be. Not terribly impressed with the Henrys. The Jap stuff from WIN and Browning I can pretty much take or leave, mostly leave.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

I don't think you will ever regret going with the Marlin 39 in any of its variations. I recently picked up an Original 39 rifle. I actually prefer the straight grip carbine version, but couldn't find one at the right price. As has been stated anything under $400-$425 would be in buying territory if it were me. I know I know, that is a terrible lot of money for a 22. I should know because I paid $69 for my first one way back when. I foolishly let it get away and regretted it so much I paid the high price of $425 just to fix the problem.

Banned

Plus 1 on the Marlin. I had lusted for one since I was 14 or so (I'm 45 now) and the money, opportunity and dribe never came together all at once. For the past couple of years, the bug bit hard again and every one I came across was either junk or priced at the ridiculous level, or was one of the new ones with that cross bolt safety that I refuse to own.

One finally showed up, very nice, for $400 at a local shop, about $200 less than ones in that condition seem to be running on Gunbroker and such. I slept on it, decided I'd kick myself forever if I didn't, and went back and bought it. Unfortunately, I had to go to Korea shortly after for two weeks and just got to shoot it yesterday. Everything I hoped for and more, I swear, I couldn't shoot a bad group with it. Did nothing but offhand shooting, between me and my youngest, we probably put 300 rounds through it.

I am real glad I waited for that deal. I've handled 9422s before and never thought that much of them. I bought my oldest a Henry Eagle Scout Commemorative rifle when he made eagle, haven't shot it, but I know it isn't the equal of this Marlin internally.

My advice? Hold out for a 39A, you'll be very glad you did. Did I mention that I really like mine?

The Marlin 39a is the only "full-sized" .22 levergun, AND easily the most accurate, with it's usual 24" bbl - as long as you be sure to buy an older, pre-safety version, one with a letter-prefixed SN being the best of all.

The Henry H001 Standard is the least expensive,has no lawyer safeties, and is likeliest the smoothest-operating - the hands-down best plinker & small game hunter.

The Browning BL-22 is small but very finely-finished, and a little more expensive.

The discontinued Winchester 9422 is very good, but sometimes pricey due to the demand.

The Mossberg 464 is basically a cheapened Henry clone (but w/sheet metal rear sight, tang safety) that costs more than the Henry.

The discontinued, clip-fed, rotary magazine (ala 10/22) Ruger 96/22 had a one-piece stock, was accurate, is reminiscent of the Savage 99, but is heavier than the leverguns with two-piece stocks.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I have a Henry H001 and it shoots any ammo I feed it, I even mixed shorts,longs,LR in the tube and id didn't even hiccup. Slick action too.
    I put a large loop lever and metal front sight on mine. Feel free to email Henry and you will get an answer back from the president of the company, great customer service. I don't know about accuracy I plink with mine. I have shot a couple of bricks of Aguila Super Colbri in my cellar range, no problems.

+1 on the Marlin model 39.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

Best birthday present dad ever got me - a Golden 39a for my 13th birthday in 1974...

Use it twice a month to shoot smallbore levergun silhouette matches, and it's very accurate with a Williams foolproof rear sight and 17a front globe.

Boolit Master
    I have a Henry and can usually keep every shot on a golfball out to 80yds, but it gets spotty after that. A friend has a Marlin 39 and it is at least as accurate as my henry, and feels more solid. I dont think you can go wrong with either of these two, but I dont have much time with other designs so i'm a bit prejudiced.

The Marlin 39A. I've owned six... and I wish I had the three I sold back. They went to good friends that begged. I'm too soft hearted...
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

I have the Henry and just love the gun. I have scoped mine as eyes are going. Shoots anything I put in it. Accuracy: quarter size, 50yds all day long.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

When the Law no longer protects me from the Government
    The Law no longer protect the government from Me.

Banned

I was amazed at the short lever throw on the Browning, the first and only time I handled one. The Henrys are awesome on total appearance, function, and accuracy.

The Gelnfield/Marlin model 60's are the best value I think, with the Ruger 10-22 a more popular but second, in my book.

Boolit Man
    Had an original Marlin 39A (was stolen)...great balance...good shooter. Have a Henry (for kids)...nice for $$$...not best out there. Have used Browning BL-22 for $325...my favorite...I LOVE the short throw.... I LOVE the short throw....nice size. Will hold value really well if don't like. Scott ps...you can tape two McDonalds straws together & plug one end...speed loaders...make a dozen or so & put them in a larger tube....pull your feed tube out of your .22 and dump one in....You can warm a barrel in a hurry this way!!!

Find a Winchester 9422 - always shot well for me, and at least says "Winchester" on the barrel.

Boolit Master

I'm another Henry owner love it, figure I'll get another one some day.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master
    henry 22magnum for me .
    love the smooth as butter action and feel of it, accurate to boot also.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Vendor Sponsor

+1 on Marlin 39A. I got mine last year for $350! and I looked at it and it took me exactly 15 seconds to yell 'I'll Take it!" It is in nearly new condition and after doing an action job on the gun it functions very smoothly just as the larger guns do when paid attention to.

It is a 1991 39AS with the rebounding hammer and safety which I don't like. Am looking for a pre-safety hammer and trigger to retro fit mine back to the good old days.

I will be redoing the stocks soon, probably Xmas time, and it will be a good looking rifle.

Also I just got a Lyman 66LA sight for this gun which will make it a real fun gun to shoot.

These guns are $679 new and are as expensive as the larger caliber Marlin leverguns, simply because they are made the same way as the big bore guns.

Me jumping on one that was priced at $350 was just luck of the draw, and I was smart enough to realize it at the time. The reason why I knew it was a good deal is because I passed up a pre-safety gun that was in the same nearly new condition for $360, and kicked myself regularly afterwards. That gun sat on the rack for several months before someone finally bought it and I regretted it as soon as it was gone. I knew I had screwed up.

Be patient, they are out there, and you don't have to pay $500 for one, and you shouldn't even consider one that is not in new or nearly new condition unless it is less than $300. they made plenty of these guns, You'll find one.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com