Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do...

What Would You Do...

If you were down to your last 10 pounds of ww's and you lived in a area where they just weren't available or not in any great quantities, what would your alloy consist of to simulate ww's? I'm running into that situation and thought of mixing pure lead with a little LT or some 50/50 lead-LT.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Mold
    I currently don't use WW as I've not found a source locally that's not already taken, or being sold for scrap value (the idea of saving money with lead is ruined when having to compete with scrap dealers IMHO).

Personally I mine backstops for lead whenever I'm at the range. I maintain roughly the same hardness by keeping the depth an automatic center punch marks on my .38/357 SWC close to the same.

Also not sure about LT as I've never had any to work with

Boolit Master
    I would attatch a piece of spider wire fishing line to the base of each bullet (with super glue) before loading it so I could be assured of retrieving every bullet so it could be cast into new bullets. Your linotype and soft lead are no good for bullet casting. Just send it all to me and I will dispose of it for you. Heck .... I'll even send you a new spool of spider wire.

Nighthunter

Boolit Master
    Can just pay $1 a pound in the Swapping and Selling section and get more.

I'd mix linotype and lead in the biggest batch possible, doing that ingot by ingot got me in trouble once. And ask the guys about what percentage to use. It doesn't take much lino to lead. You can pour pure lino for rifle, but I'd think that's too hard and possibly disentigrate.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    Check out the swap/sell forum and the vendors forum. They have WW and range scrap and soft lead and isotope lead for sale. I figure that if I don't have to drive to for and pay too much for WWs that it is OK but recently I get most of my lead at the scrap yard. I be retired so time don't count. If the time counted then buying on the forums would be cheapest by far. 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    what would your alloy consist of to simulate ww's?
    Something I've given some consideration to myself. I'm not down to 10 pounds but it is steadily going away so I did some experiments with the 800 pounds of stick-on weights I have in 5 pound ingots by blending Roto Metals Super Hard to 3% antimony by weight and added 2% Sn by weight. For the limited amount of this alloy I made up it worked very well in everything I use COWW for which is almost everything. It is a tad harder than air cooled WW but the 3% Sb could be cut back a bit if needed.

Yep, Super Hard costs money but facing reality the days of free or even really cheap lead is about over I think.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    RotoMetals has a sale on now. I got 50 lbs of SuperHard at their LaborDay sale this year and I have stopped scrounging for WW. Mixed SuperHard with scrap lead to get 3% antimony then added 2% tin....gave me same weight and diameter I was getting with WW + 2% tin. And, stopped worring about zinc in the melt.

It seems like once before I used 5 lbs of lead to about 3 lbs of 50/50 mix and got a comparable hardness in the range of BHN11.5 or 12 but can't recall, unfortunately
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I am currently shooting lots of range scrap. I use it as is for handgun ammo, seems to be working quite well.
    I haven't melted down a WW in many, many years.

If we live long enough, we'll all likely get to the point where we buy a good portion of the alloy we need. Scrounging sources are drying up and from what I've seen over the last 40+ years it's only going to get worse.

Boolit Grand Master

Go to the LASC site at the bottom of this page for alloying info.

Boolit Master
    If you were down to your last 10 pounds of ww's and you lived in a area where they just weren't available or not in any great quantities, what would your alloy consist of to simulate ww's? I'm running into that situation and thought of mixing pure lead with a little LT or some 50/50 lead-LT.
    If WW lead is 0.5% tin and 3% antimony, then here are some options:
    1 lb lino + 9 lbs pure = alloy with 0.4% tin, 1.2% antimony
    2 lb lino + 8 lbs pure = alloy with 0.8% tin, 2.4% antimony
    3 lb lino + 7 lbs pure = alloy with 1.2% tin, 3.6% antimony
    4 lb lino + 6 lbs pure = alloy with 1.6% tin, 4.8% antimony
    5 lb lino + 5 lbs pure = alloy with 2.0% tin, 6.0% antimony (aka Hardball)

It looks like the 2/8 mix is the best one for a WW replacement.

EDIT:
    Looking at it again, maybe you'll like this one better:
    2.5 lb lino + 7.5 lbs pure = alloy with 1.0% tin, 3.0% antimony
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by An_Orphanage View Post
    I currently don't use WW as I've not found a source locally that's not already taken, or being sold for scrap value (the idea of saving money with lead is ruined when having to compete with scrap dealers IMHO).

Personally I mine backstops for lead whenever I'm at the range. I maintain roughly the same hardness by keeping the depth an automatic center punch marks on my .38/357 SWC close to the same.

Also not sure about LT as I've never had any to work with
    I'd rethink the savings aspect (even if you have to compete with scrappers) seeing as a boolet cast from lead that cost you $1/lb is still only 2.8 cents...... Bottom line is that scrap yards only offer about .20/lb, so it really isn't hard to beat their offer and save money at the same time, if that runs you into .75/lb for raw, you're better off to spend $1/lb here for ingotted.

Dan

Boolit Master
    my alloys are about 90% of the time composed of range scrap plus whatever I feel the need to add for more hardness. I have had a lot of difficulty getting WW, the scores are few and far between but plenty of range scrap. Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master
    This is the reason many of us work hard at the get all you can mentality.

Bumpo has given you good formulas for stretching your linotype with pure lead. But, you might stretch it even further trading here for WW.

Boolit Master

I do cast my own and I really like using WW alloy but I also swage my own and I have found that a lot of times softer lead is even better. So not to worry you may have to adjust your load and use Pure PB or alloy your own Antimony and Tin aren't that scarce go to your local scrap yard and buy scrap lead Antimony and tin ... My favorite ratio is 92% lead 6% antimony and 2% tin.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used 50-50 Pb-Lino for pistol and rifle and it is a really excellent alloy.
    You will find it casts well and is hardenable if you want, and adequate hardness
    to work extremely well for all the uses I tried it for with just air cooling.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Thanks-I've read quite a lot on Gene's website and he's a wealth of information.

bumpo-Gracious thanks for those formulas. I'm looking for about BHN12 and it seems the 2/8 mix may produce that and perhaps a bit softer. Some experimentation may be in order.

Bill-I used 50/50 for years but didn't know at the time what the hardness value was then. Usually it'll test out about BHN15 which is a tad harder than I really need for most of my shooting, i.e., medium velocity loads for 357 and standard/target loads for the 45 ACP and 44 Mag. Wheel weights were great with a bit of tin added but as mentioned, that alloy is getting low and not readily available around here much anymore. I have pure tin ( from RotoMetals), lead and LT and about 70 pounds of 50/50. I may try 5/3, LT to pb to get that ww equivalent.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Thanks-I've read quite a lot on Gene's website and he's a wealth of information.
    Hhhmmm . . . Who is this Gene?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

ColColt

I am sympathetic to your plight.
    I have two recomendations:

1: I have bought two batches of reclaimed bullet cores ( Ingots). Do not buy the actual reclaimed bullets. Both batches measured 8 BNH. They do not have enough tin to cast pretty bullets but they will cast plinkers OK. I have made two alloys with this as a base. First alloy was 69 ounces of reclaimed bullet cores and 21 ounces of pure LT. The result was a very successful alloy with BNH 10.5.

2: I also made 50/50 reclaimed bullet cores and pure LT. Also a very nice hard alloy at BNH 14. That is very similar to WW but makes much prettier bullets. I use this alloy frequently when I don't have WWs.

Another suggestion:

I can buy clip on wheel weights by the ton. I am not sure there is a reasonable limit to how many I could buy but - they cost $1.00 per pound.

Really clean WWs smelt with a loss of about 15% Dirty ones closer to 30%. This makes my cost $1.17 per pound for the very cleanest weights Plus several hours work.

I just this minute checked Swappin and Selling. The first three listings I found average slightly less that $1.00 per pound -

DELIVERED TO YOUR FRONT PORCH.

Check with member odinohi

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=9358

for a good deal and good service.

I have bought from him four times now.

Of course, If you can still find some of those free or fifty cent wheel weights, so much the better.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford