Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: remington 700 need some help please.

remington 700 need some help please.

I bought this rifle to fire 500 to 700 yards max. I need a scope for it. I really do not know what to buy. Money is tight I used a truglo scope 6x24x44 infinity. I used this scope to try out the rifle but am very disappoint with this scope. It has no mil dots . The rifle shoots as expected. but when i went pass 100 yards the bullets went awol on me the groups where not as tight. I went from 25, 50, and final 100yards to zero the rifle. The nut on the the scope got loose and I had to retighteen them. Should I use blue lock tight on the nut. I can spend around 300 t0 400 on the scope. I would prefer to have mil dots on this scope. This is my first bolt action rifle. for semi long range. I live in New jersey and I go to range 14 in Fort Dix army base. If some can help me set up this rifle it would be nice. I need help in setting and mounting the scope.

Ps. please help a novice

What caliber is the rifle?
    Optic's is one place where you get what you pay for.

Some of the best deals on quality I find here...
    http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C3391.aspx

if I had $400 to spend I'd probably go
    http://www.samplelist.com/Burris-65-...-B-P55415.aspx
    or
    http://www.samplelist.com/SWFA-SS-10...-B-P57384.aspx

check out reviews
    http://www.snipercentral.com/scopereviews.htm
    Last edited by Artful; 07-08-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have had really good luck with the Bushnell 10x40...you can find them used for around $150 used, has a mildot reticle and a target turrets. Its a straight 10x which is enough for the distance you are wanting to shoot assuming your not shooting p-dogs.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Its a 700 SPS 20 inch heavy barrel 308.

Boolit Mold
    What about the new Nikon m-308 bdc ?
    You can get the spot on bullet drop calculator for smart phone or computer

Boolit Master
    I also second the Bushnell 10x40. I have one or two of them, and they have done everything I have ever asked of them. The way I was taught though, a fixed power is an advantage, but many people prefer a variable. Another option is the Bushnell 3-9-40 mildot scope. I bought one and put it on my girlfriends .22, but it is made for centerfires and I am thinking about buying another to put on my .30-06 cause I think she may shoot me if I try to steal hers.

Boolit Master
    What size groups are you shooting? Just curious, have you bedded the rifle or adjusted the trigger yet? What are you using for a scope base and rings?

Boolit Master

Nikon BuckMaster scopes are a good deal for the money. You can get the Mil-dot reticule in a 6-18x44mm scope for about $300. I have two of them mounted on target rifles and they perform every bit as well as my Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 with the exception of "brightness" They hold their "Zero" well and repeatability is very good. No matter what optic you choose, remember that one thing a lot of folks overlook are quality rings and bases. If you mount a quality scope with discount hardware you will be dissapointed with the scopes performance. Get Ken Farrell bases and rings or something of similar quality and you are well on your way to obtaining the best performance from your scope and rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Just want to throw this out there, and not trying to dis your rifle. The SPS has a really bad stock on it. I believe that package was put together to get a shooter into a good action, and a fair barrel for not much money and the stock is used as a shipping apparatus. They shoot decent if you get a good quality stock installed, but until that happens you will have trouble realizing the potential of that system. Just something to be aware of if the groups are not quite what you are after.
    As far as the scope goes, I would buy as much Leopold as you can afford, and get some good quality steel rings and lap them in with some 600 grit clover leaf.
    This will get you a lot closer to where you want to be, and if you have trouble with the scope, they can repair it, even if its in the middle of deer season (ask me how I know).
    There is a member here by the name of "The Ameture" who has that very rifle and managed to modify the stock on the cheap, so that it quit working against the rifle's accuracy potential. I'll send him a PM and see if He'll chime in.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I really wish I took photos of my SPS stock mod...
    One of my sayings is; pictures SAVE a thousand words!
    Sadly, everything is torqued down and the scope is where it needs to be so I really don't want to take it apart for now.
    I will subsequently attempt to describe what I did.

I watched a very informative video series on youtube: http://youtu.be/JdUhYz0q30o
    This link is part 1 of 9...

Because I own a mini-lathe, I figured an aluminum pillar block would be a better method due to the poor adhesion of epoxy to the tupperware stock.

First, I drilled and threaded the receiver bolt holes in the stock to 1/2-20TPI.
    Next, some aluminum round stock was threaded to fill these new holes in the stock.
    This was cut into two pillars and bolt holes centered then drilled.

The rear pillar matched the profile of the stock and was shaped with a semi-round file to accept the curvature of the receiver.

The front pillar was profiled and cut a little long to allow approximately 1/8-3/32" elevation to fully free float the barrel. A little extra space was added to prevent the stock (flex) forearm from ever making barrel contact during the firing cycle. This also allows me to "free recoil" the rifle with a bi-pod.

I filed down the molded forearm "pillars" that are located on the ribs and barrel channel.
    Once fitting was completed, the threaded surfaces were cleaned and then epoxy was applied.
    After final fitting, the action was torqued down to 65 in-lbs. until the cure time had elapsed.

Remove the action and clean any epoxy squeeze out and release agent.
    Perform a final assembly and toque the action bolts (I used 65 in-lbs)

I hope this is somewhat clear (as mud) and will attempt to fill in the gaps as needed

In summery, Remington dropped the ball on the SPS stock. All they had to do was mold in some simple aluminum pillars and all is well. I went from 4-5" 100yrd groups to sub-MOA after this mod.
    Mine is the 700 SPS-V .308WIN just like in the videos above. I suspect the aluminum pillars will outlast epoxy bedding alone. Frankly, I didn't want to swap stock because I liked the ergonomics the SPS stock offered. It felt good to me just structurally not engineered well.

Sorry for the long post...
    73, KC5CQW

Hard work usually pays off in the end but... Procrastination pays off right now!

On my next rifle build, (an LR-308 kit from DPMS in .260REM) will have a Millet TRS-1 illuminated Mil-Dot on a one piece QD rail. The other option will be something from Horus with a TruMor2 reticle. I love the concept of the Horus system. Just not the cost...

The SPS-V above has a now discontinued BSA Mil-Dot 4-16X44mmIR that has served me well. I know, cheap rifle, cheap scope...
    73, KC5CQW

Hard work usually pays off in the end but... Procrastination pays off right now!

Boolit Buddy
    Check out the used glass on Guns America.

Boolit Master

Check Nc Star scopes ----midway several others best out there for GOOD cheap scope As clear as any major brand and so far is good . Midway will back them

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    Check Nc Star scopes ----midway several others best out there for GOOD cheap scope As clear as any major brand and so far is good . Midway will back them
    While I love my cheap NcStar and Barska scopes, I would have to disagree they are as clear at long range as "any major brand" for long range shooting.

At 300 yards the better quality scopes can see bullet holes as small as 22 caliber but the NcStar's and lesser quality won't be able to see the holes on target.

I know the stock should be relpaced. As for the glass I am a little lost.
    I am thinking of getting this one. Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x 50mm - Mil-DotModel: ET4305
    Is this a good choice.
    Last edited by asw1911pc@aol.com; 07-11-2012 at 06:43 PM.

It's got 90 inches of adjustment with 1/4 inch clicks and parallex adjustment, so it sounds ok,
    I have not seen one (or more specifically thru one) but Bushnell generally gives good value for money.
    But looks like beyond your price range at least on this link [I can spend around 300 t0 400 on the scope]
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell...pe-mildot.html

Boolit Grand Master

That looks like a dam good scope. I would do some research on bushnells return policy and see how many hoops you would have to jump through if there were ever a problem. I don't know if they offer a lifetime warranty or not. Just a few things to check on, but it looks very nice. You will appreciate that 30mm tube, I promise.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Yes it is beyond my price range Well you know the saying cry onces. Now i need a good set of rings and a better stock. I am looking for a simple stock for it. This is the stock that I am going to purchase Choate stock # SKU16326123
    Last edited by asw1911pc@aol.com; 07-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.

The stock I am going to buy.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I quiet like the ergonomics of the SPS (affectionately known as the Sh&t Plastic Stock in Australia,lol) and feel of it and the recoil pad is brilliant. I have a 308Tactical, a17RFB and a 270 SPS and a 375H&H Dangerous Game (my 300WM is an old BDL). The stocks are essentially the same, which is a feature I like and the recoilpad soaks up the recoilof the 375 very effectively (Nothing stops it jumping about, it is a 7lb rifle after all, too light for a 375).

I will probably end up bedding mine, just getting around to it is the thing.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."