Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you kidding me???

Boolit Master

Are you kidding me???

So I recently decided that I wanted to diversify a little. And that diversification was to start loading 12ga. However, I don't really have much room, and decided that a Lee Loader would be the way to go. And being aware of the fact that they no longer make them, I decided to do a quick search over at everyone's favorite auction site. To my astonishment, those 12ga Lee Loaders are going for more than a brand spanking new Lee Load-All. Are they that popular?!?!?!
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

They're very collectible and have been for quite a while. They stopped making them a while back.

And you got it right, you can have a brand new Lee Load-All for about the same money and the Load-All works pretty slick.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

That does seem crazy. Maybe someone should start making them again.

Boolit Master

They may be selling for that much, I don't really follow them. I can say however the MEC basic loader, 650jr I think is hard to beat. I have several of them in assorted gauges. I can highly recommend this machine for someone wanting to load moderate amounts of shotgun ammo.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

http://zoned.fortunecity.ws/ Here is a link for Lanes Reloading. He offers a similar kit to Lee. Here is a you tube link for a 410 Lane reloading kit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK037aQN6qc . having used both the Lee Load all is an inexpensive way to start loading shotshells.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    However, I don't really have much room, and decided that a Lee Loader would be the way to go.
    Guess this portion of my post got skipped over, lol...

Thanks for the link. I'll check them out. I need something I can stick on the shelf, not bolt to the bench.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kenyerian View Post
    http://zoned.fortunecity.ws/ Here is a link for Lanes Reloading. He offers a similar kit to Lee. Here is a you tube link for a 410 Lane reloading kit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK037aQN6qc . having used both the Lee Load all is an inexpensive way to start loading shotshells.
    Thanks for the link! I sold all my lee loaders for silly money on eBay. The 12 and 410 went for over a hundred each. Kinda regret selling the 410. I'm going to order one of those.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone used the lanes reloader? That a legitimate site? Doesn't seem like I've ever seen a '.ws' before...

Boolit Master
    Whoa. Good call. That's a samoan website. Maybe not ordering now lol

Banned

Lanes is good quality and good price. Also, RMC sells kit as well, great quality and a price to match. I'm getting both.
    http://www.rockymountaincartridge.co...Kit%20Inst.pdf
    http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/

Boolit Bub
    ... I need something I can stick on the shelf, not bolt to the bench.
    I have a Load All II bolted to a piece of 2x4, which I C clamp to the bench when I want to load shotgun shells. Slips under the bench in between the legs when not in use.

Boolit Master
    Could do the same with a MEC 600 Jr. to a 2 x6.

Boolit Master
    Well, I broke down and just bought a load all the other day.

Boolit Master

JD, I use a Mec 650 Jr & keep it bolted to a pc of 3/4" plywood so I can clamp it to the bench when I need to run off some shells. With the bottles emptied & taken off it stores in very little space. You might think about the same set up for your loader to conserve bench top area.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

I own a 2-1/2" & 3" 410-bore Lanes Loader kit (the more expensive kit that comes with two body tubes for the two different shell lengths). At the time I bought mine from him he was selling them on e-bay. He may still sell them there and you can always e-mail him if you are concerned about payment through the web-site linked too.

His kit has the same basic strengths and the same basic weaknesses of the original Lee kits but I would say in some ways are a beter KISS type product with some nice features like the T-handle with built in cone for opening up the mouth of fired shells that the original Lee kits did not have, as of the time I purchased the instructions were bad photo copies of the original Lee kit instructions and at least for me I was better off just figuring out how to make best use of the tool without the instructions which were confusing since they were for the Lee kit not his kit. If you have any kind of mechanical aptitude its pretty self explanatory how his kit works.

I have a few ideas how he could make his kits better but as of yet I haven't passed them on to him (one of those things I've been meaning to get around to for over a year now but just haven't made the time since it isn't a high priority).

Long story short - I'd rather have his kit then an original Lee kit for actually loading shells with (I'd rather have a Lee kit to sell on e-bay and make $$$ off at the inflated prices).

I got a Lee Loader a while back & then found out that they were originally designed for paper shells. I then got a crimp starter from MEC & used that with the Lee Loader to make plastic shells. Results were fair at best. I then cranked up my lathe & made my own improved version of a Lee Loader in .410 ga. After a few prototypes & upgrades I ended up with something that worked pretty well & gave me good shells.

The problem with the shotshell version Lee Loaders is that you finish the process by pressing your hand down hard on a loaded shell in a metal tube. If that thing goes off, your hand & maybe a few other body parts are toast. I suspect that may be what caused Lee to stop making the shot shell version of those things. It's what stopped me from wanting to make & sell them. The metallic cartridge Lee Loaders use a soft mallet to do the final step, rather than putting your hand right in harms way. If the thing goes boom, then the mallet gets wiped out, not your hand. That is a pretty big difference.

For a small, low-priced 12 ga. loader, I think that the Load All is your best option. For better quality & somewhat higher volumes at a fair price, I'd go for MEC.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

I just picked up a Lee Load All at a yard sale for $20. The thing is about mint, but there were no bushings. Called Lee and have a set on the way for about $9 and change. As a bonus the loader is full of shot and Red Dot powder.
    " A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton

The dead don't know they are dead. It only affects those around them.
    It's the same with stupid.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't use the red dot in that loader....

The original Lee loaders do not resize the brass base. So the ammo needs to be fired in the same gun. A load all does resize but for $50 keep your eyes out for a used Mec Junior, its the best entry level loader. It can store in a closet

Boolit Master

I wouldn't use the red dot in that loader....
    That's all I use for 12G...works great!!! Take a few flakes out of the hopper and try to light them. If it lighty, it's mighty or toss it. You got a great deal either way Dhurtig.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.