Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: FN Model 70 S/A scope base help

Boolit Buddy

FN Model 70 S/A scope base help

I have a FN Winchester model 70 short action in .308. I need a one piece base [ multiple slot ] so I can mount the scope far enough back so I can see thru the scope. I ordered this from Midway.
    Weaver 1-Piece Extended Multi-Slot Tactical Picatinny-Style Base Winchester 70 Short Action
    Product #: 216929 Weaver #: 99484 UPC #: 076683994844
    IT DOES NOT FIT! I have searched all over the net for help to no avail.
    Surely someone on here has the same gun and has solved this problem. Hole spacing both front and back is .860. Hole spacing between the two center holes is 3.47".
    thanks

Love Life
    Call Near manufacturing.

Boolit Master
    Hate to even suggest another direction but I'd be tempted to use a two piece base. The M70's front and rear bases are different heights but the hole spacing is the same. Not sure why you can't get the scope back far enough... either the front bell or the adjustment bosses I'd guess. Also any decent scope should have 3.5-4 inches of full field eye relief.

The two piece base options are nearly endless with an added bonus of a much clearer path for both loading the magazine and ejecting cartridges. Unless your set on the coolness of a one piece base or a "tactical" picatinny rail this, that or the other

Love Life
    ^^Wisdom.

I am a big fan of EGW picatinny bases. They're cheap and fit well. I don't think much of those Weaver pic bases, nowhere near as nice and about the same money.

-Nobade

Dual dovetail Leupold unless we are talking long range competition in which case you might need a 20 MOA base.

Boolit Master
    lastborn,

Not blowing off your frustration about the scope mounting because it can be frustrating.

For a real deal field/hunting rifle, the clearance between the scope/mounts and the magazine/port shouldn't be discounted. Nothing more frustrating than having to fight to reload a bolt gun magazine where the space is filled with oversized scope knobs and/or a 1 piece base. Not to mention ejected cases rattling around and hitting the scope or 1 piece base.

The other issue is that modern scopes have gotten shorter coupled and the knobs have gotten bigger so finding the right match between rifle and scope mount system has gotten more difficult.

The closest I have to your question in the OP is a Win M70 FNH mounted with a Leupold FXII 6x36. This scope has standard adjustment knobs, a modest front bell and is not even short coupled. But I had to use an extended front for the ring to clear the bell. Given the modern CNC manufacture of the M70 FNH, the mount holes are almost guaranteed to be exact and on spec. You shouldn't need windage adjustable mounts.

Another thing I try to do with hunting rifles is to keep it simple and user friendly. These are not bench guns. I found a very inexpensive Weaver mix and match extended medium height front ring and a regular medium Weaver rear to work just right for what I wanted for loading port clearance and for the scope's 4" +/- eye relief. I'm not at all worried about the strength of this system- multiple published tests have proven their strength! Here's a pic of the set up.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 01-05-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the suggestions. With Weaver two piece base set-up running a Leupy VX-II 2x7 I still have to crawl the stock a couple of inches. I have a Weaver KT-15 I wanted to use for load development and with it and an extended front base I still have to crawl the stock too much.[uncomfortable] I DON"T want a 20 MOA base. Fouronesix, the 6 x 36 you are using is probably what I will end-up putting on it. Fouronrsix, are you using it for deer hunting? Any problems with 6X in close quarters? What would be the closest CLEAR shot you could make? I don't really care for the looks of a one piece picatinny base on a blue and walnut hunting rig but I want the scope mounted as low as possible and correct eye relief so when I an ready to shoot I can just throw it up and it's there, no trying to get behind the scope.

Boolit Master
    For whatever reason the photo exaggerates the height of the scope mounting. In reality it is somewhat lower than it appears.

Actually, no matter how scopes are set up, there's always a compromise. I hear ya about the lowest reasonable scope mounting. There is enough clearance for the front bell above the barrel to use a "low" ring on this rig... the only extended ring is a "medium" height. But, it turns out the drop at comb on the newer M70s is plenty straight and high enough, so a good cheek weld still works with this set up along with the extra room advantage for cartridge handling between the scope and the magazine/port.

For whatever "optical" reason, the FXII 6x really has a very forgiving full field eye relief. I don't have an FXII 4x to compare but would think they'd be similar. Also, if I reversed the front base so the cross slot were to the rear, I could move the scope back another 1/3". But it is not needed for this scope as it is currently mounted.

I'm not sure about how close this 6x set up could reasonably be used. I've hunted with scopes (mostly 4x and 6x fixed) for a long time and have never had a problem getting on target no matter the range. I think if the scope and rifle combination "fit" well when shouldered, target acquisition becomes second nature. Another thing I've noticed is that certain scopes tend to have a more parallel region of exit pupil.... which I guess means that the full field optimum viewing is extended in both directions from the listed eye relief. This scope is very good for that so it is very forgiving about exact eye relief and allows for very easy and quick target acquisition.

The FNH M70 is a 30-06 and is headed for a plains game hunt later this year. I set it up for anything from 40-50 yards out to about 250-300 max. That means off hand or "sticks" at close out to mid ranges or a dead rest for 200-300. I've spent the last 2-3 months developing the load- 168 gr Rem Ultra Bonded at a moderate MV of about 2675.

And if the FNH M70 didn't work out, had this pre-64 M70 with an older Denver Redfield 2-7 as a plan B. The greater drop at comb of the pre-64 makes a lower scope mount better as shown in this pic. This scope didn't need an extension mount. Leupold rings with Burris bases.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 01-05-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Boolit Man

The FN's use the WSM Model 70 bases.

Boolit Man

I have an Badger here if you are interested, $75 will get it to you.