Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Interarms mk X vs Mauser 98 bolt compatability?

Boolit Master

Interarms mk X vs Mauser 98 bolt compatability?

I have an Interarms mark X, with a damaged bolt face due to a primer rupture. It's a 25-06.

I've been told, and it looks like, the mark X is a mauser 98 clone, made by CZ.

does anyone know for sure if it's possible to use a Mauser 98 bolt body as a replacement?

I know the headspace would need checked, and possibly corrected.

Thanks.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Master
    I am pretty sure that is correct. You may be able to find another MKx bolt at gunbroker. Go to the rifle parts and there is a rifle bolts listing. I often see MKx bolts there. I think an FN will work or even a cheap Turk.
    I can check that as I have all mentioned.
    BTW if you find another one and have no use for the old one I would like to have it.

Boolit Master

What kind of damage are you talking about? Couldn't you have the bolt face built up by welding, and then trimmed back to spec? Not a machinist, or a gunsmith, but why couldn't it be done? mikey

Boolit Man

I've swapped them back and forth without issue.

Just make sure you match the cocking piece with the correct bolt(speed lock).

Less work to have Greg Tannel bush the damaged area.

Boolit Master
    As far as what kind of damage, Pics here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ever-seen-this

I dropped this rifle at a local smith yesterday for his opinion / estimate . The kid at the front counter (not the smith) was already talking about "grinding the bolt face down"

I don't think I want that much metal removed from my bolt, and if that was to happen, it would require the barrel to be set back.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this shop, and am looking for what other options I may have.

I'm also starting to get the feeling this estimate may make his next truck payment.....don't want to do that.

I'm not going to pay more to fix this than I paid for the rifle.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Master
    seriously, do you actually believe the bolt now is bad? I read this thread earlier and I am glad all came out ok, but did not everything work as planned(safety wise)? If I am missing some major flaw here please help me get out of my ignorance! For me I would say well I don't like what happened but I am not afraid of this bolt flying apart or the reciever for that matter.
    Look twice, shoot once.

FWIW, that kind of boltface damage requires neither bolt replacement, not "grinding" the bolt/face down, effecting the headspace.

Any gunsmith, worthy of the name (not some AR parts-changer) should be able to chuck the bolt in his lathe and turn a recessed area immediately around for FP hole, large enough in diameter & depth to get rid of the damage - then ( as posted above) solder in a solid metal filler ring (bushing), facing the insert down even with the rest of the boltface & drilling a FP hole in the bushing.

I've had it done for much less than $100 - but YMMV.

Boolit Master
    Gunbroker has 98 bolt bodies with forged handles and high polished finish for $75.00 if you do need one.

Boolit Buddy
    that amount of damage is miminal,
    I have welded up several bolt faces and then refaced them in the lathe and it would definatly take care of a issue such as this,
    I really don't like parts that are soldered on my bolt, especialy the bolt face!

if your interested PM me, and we can discuss details.
    hello.

Boolit Master
    If you take your action out of the stock, you will see that the Mark X/Whitworth/Interams are all made in Yugoslavia by what is now Zastava.

I am looking at a NIB Model D action.