Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever do up an H&R into a 9mm?

Anybody ever do up an H&R into a 9mm?

I am not terribly fond of black rifles in semi automatic. Give me a good bolt action or single shot anytime except in a firefight.
    I have a couple of 9mm pistols and lots of ammunition. I think it would be fun to have an accurate 9mm rifle in single shot or bolt action for plinking, light game, and short range target work.
    Has anybody here done this?

I know that 38/357 rifles are available, can you get another barrel for one?

Boolit Master

I have always thought there would be a market for lever action 9mm, 40s&w, 45ACP, and 10mm. As far as 9mm single shot, I think it could be done. I know I have seen threads here for custom barrel makers for the H&R. There are people out there that do it. A 223 ejector should be able to work fine on a 9mm. Interesting thread that I will be watching.

Boolit Master

I think currently you'd have to do it as a custom barrel, which could be expensive.

I do think we need to somehow get Remington (Current owner of H&R 1871) to get the company thinking along those lines.

Think of all the old black powder calibers, 25-35, 38-40, 38-55, etc. Wouldn't they be fun to shoot in a single shot rifle if you could get the barrel for say 150$?

Then you have all the lower powered wildcats.

Like the 9mm, I'd love to have a Handi rifle barrel in 7.62x25. It is a great little cartridge, light recoil, yet moving right along.
    Perfect for plinking or teaching that coon to stay out of your trashcan.

If you have a barrel assembly line producing barrels and it isn't going 24/7 to keep up, put it to work!

Then if your really on the ball, you offer the barrel (fitted) 100 rounds of brass, dies, reloading info, everything you need except primers, powder and boolits to load those rounds and make them shoot for a reasonable price. Reloading info should be for common smokeless powders and black in some cases.

Why if you did that you might see a revolution!

Moderator Emeritus

Why not look at the Marlin camp guns? I have a one in 45 which is a blast and shot one in 9mm which I think works better than the 45. I know it is not what you asked but is another option.

Boolit Master
    Best bet is a rebore and rechamber if you do not gave the ability to stub.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    I believe I have seen thin barrel liner stock in 9mm. A bored out factory barrel sleeved with one wouldn't cost too much, and the ejector should be able to be modified from the stock piece pretty easily. Stubbing in a full size barrel blank would be just as easy.

I just saw Troyboys post above, and the rebore/rechamber is probably your best bet. You might have to start with a .22 Hornet barrel to get the chamber area to clean up, as I think most other chamberings might be too big on the breech end.

Boolit Master
    If you cant get it thru the H&R barrel program, your pretty much gonna have to make one yourself. The barrel stub way is not very hard at all, but you do need a chamber reamer, or rent one. You will pick up velocity in a 9mm with a longer barrel. For the effort and expense, probably just better off with a 357 one. Or sending one in another caliber off for a barrel, $104 is pretty cheap for a barrel. I have a pile of 9mm and several things to shoot it out of.

The 7.62x25 is actually a pretty good idea. It comes in pistols, but really works better with more barrel. I reload it for a tokarev and converted 1911. Its alot of muzzle flash that could be better used in a longer barrel for more velocity. There was a thread somewhere of a guy running it in a mauser and getting 2300fps out it. But your pretty much restricted to a stubbed barrel, no reaming anything out to fit. You could shoot the regular pistol ammo out of or heavier rifle bullets. They work pretty good with heavy bullets and a can.

Boolit Master

You might want to check this out for ideas and advice.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...stubbed-rifles

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

I get calls quite often for different calibers on the H&R. So far I have done 17 to 45 caliber with a bunch in between. Got a 45 acp in the shop now. Starting to work on a 28 gauge with rifled bore for my self which is about the same as a 577 Snider without the bottle neck.

Boolit Master

I don't see much of a need for a 9mm H&R, but one chambered in .357 max would tempt me. Perhaps a straight walled wildcat made from a .30-30 would me interesting also.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I don't see much of a need for a 9mm H&R, but one chambered in .357 max would tempt me. Perhaps a straight walled wildcat made from a .30-30 would me interesting also.
    A straight walled "wild cat" was done back in 1884 or so: the 38-55 Winchester.

NavyVet, you can get a new Handi Rifle and rent a reamer from the folks over at Graybeard Outdoors.

I think over 200 people have hand cut their own .357 max from a .357 mag handi barrel since they bought the first reamer and started passing it around.

There is a lot of info on it over there. Seems to be the biggest concentration of Handi rifle people that I've found so far.
    Good community.

"The .357 Max is an easy rechamber with hand power. Might be a half hour job by hand doing it for the first time. Just need a reamer, a tee handle and some cutting oil. Don't even need headspace gauges since you stop when you touch the existing rim cut. Compressed air helps, but is not absolutely necessary."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    A straight walled "wild cat" was done back in 1884 or so: the 38-55 Winchester.
    And the .375 Winchester makes it even better.

I gotta say that tazman's original idea for a 9mm version would make for a fine plinker.

Lots of us have 9mm pistols but not all of those folks also have a taste for revolvers. So options that lean towards rimmed cartridges don't really stir the juices. But they'd still like to have an option that isn't semi auto and that uses ammo that they already buy in larger amounts. And there simply isn't anything more popular in center fire than 9mm.

So I'm sort of stumped as to why they don't make a Handi Rifle in 9mm as well.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

http://www.gunadapters.com/

As cheap way to experiment

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post

If we believe Col Whelen that only accurate rifles are interesting, a rechambered 357 Max from 357 mag I own is interesting indeed.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I have a T/C carbine in 9mm and it is my favorite plinking rifle. It is accurate out to 120 yards. It was a long learning curve working up a load because I kept trying to make it a mini-357 mag. Finally I gave up and loaded it to an mv. of 1150 fps and it became a sweet economical shooter as a plinker or game up to 100# at under 100 yards. The boolit it likes is the Lee 125 gr RF and the load is 4.6 gr of Unique. At about 7 cents a shot, it is cheaper than a lot of 22's these days and has almost 4x the power of a 22 LR. The rifle also shoots the Lee 150 gr. RN but I prefer the 125 gr. Not that it will matter other than satisfy my curiosity but very soon I hope to do a terminal ballistics test on that load at 40 yards into soaked compacted phone books.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 10-22-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I have a T/C carbine in 9mm and it is my favorite plinking rifle. It is accurate out to 120 yards. It was a long learning curve working up a load because I kept trying to make it a mini-357 mag. Finally I gave up and loaded it to an mv. of 1150 fps and it became a sweet economical shooter as a plinker or game up to 100# at under 100 yards. The boolit it likes is the Lee 125 gr RF and the load is 4.6 gr of Unique. At about 7 cents a shot, it is cheaper than a lot of 22's these days and has almost 4x the power of a 22 LR. The rifle also shoots the Lee 150 gr. RN but I prefer the 125 gr. Not that it will matter other than satisfy my curiosity but very soon I hope to do a terminal ballistics test on that load at 40 yards into soaked compacted phone books.
    I would very much like to see those results when you get them.

Boolit Master
    It won't be long. I am waiting for the rain to soak the phone books as you read this. I am also testing my 308 with a cast 160 gr Loverin boolit at an mv of 1800 fps. After that I have to start hunting for more phone books to make a 25" thick stack. That 9mm devastated a huge 40# dog coyote recently at a range of about 80 yards -DRT.