Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever do up an H&R into a 9mm?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    It won't be long. I am waiting for the rain to soak the phone books as you read this. I am also testing my 308 with a cast 160 gr Loverin boolit at an mv of 1800 fps. After that I have to start hunting for more phone books to make a 25" thick stack. That 9mm devastated a huge 40# dog coyote recently at a range of about 80 yards -DRT.
    i would use junk mail -- it seems to accumulate a lot faster than phone books.

Boolit Master
    There was a gent over at the assra forum that showed off his martini single shot in 9mm luger. Beautiful little rifle. Think he moved to Canada and sold it. Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    I didn't think very much of a 9mm H&R at first, but I have come to like the idea.

I remember reading about someone on this forum that had a Remington Model 580 or 581 that was converted to 9mm. A break open H&R would be infinitely easier since you wouldn't have to convert it to center fire.

Robert

Boolit Master

If you took the 9mm barrel and then lengthened the chamber to about the depth of the shoulder on a .223 round and then used modified .223 brass for 9mm projectiles, you might end up with something interesting. Kind of a 9mm-max round. I suspect that *someone* has tried this over the years.

I have an 18.5" 45ACP Handi rifle that a friend and I built. I wanted a 9mm Handi to go with the 45 and I was on the verge of ordering a 9mm blank from green mountain when I found a "broken" Camp 9 at a LGS for way cheap. I bought the Camp 9 and "fixed" it by reassembling the action correctly. I do still think about making a 9mm liner barrel Handi as I think it would be a great plinker and squirrel carbine.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    And the .375 Winchester makes it even better.
    I'm holding out for the .470 Weatherby Magv
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I'm holding out for the .470 Weatherby Magv
    Just take the H&R "UltraSlug" 12-gauge (heavy rifled barrel) and load it until you shoulder refuses to be in the same county as you.

Boolit Master
    I have a 9mm barrel for a TC Contender, 10" barrel with open sights. This one I had built, it's a Custom Shop barrel. The twist is a little tighter than you'd expect but, it's a good cast bullet plinkster.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=GhostHawk;2972593]I think currently you'd have to do it as a custom barrel, which could be expensive.

Like the 9mm, I'd love to have a Handi rifle barrel in 7.62x25. It is a great little cartridge, light recoil, yet moving right along.
    Perfect for plinking or teaching that coon to stay out of your trashcan.

Have a 7.62x25 Contender barrel that cost less than $200.

I think it would be fun to shoot, but why not get a Handi in .35 Remington or something, and get a chamber insert for 9mm. If the rifling twist would work, it would sure be cheaper than a custom barrel.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Or even .357 mag and a chamber insert.

Good point!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I would very much like to see those results when you get them.
    Just finished this morning. As always, the medium is soaked, compacted phone books (much more solid than most animals) with a sheet of 1/8" plywood at one inch depth to simulate a clipped rib bone. The range was 40 yards. The muzzle velocity of the 125 gr RF plain base as stated above is about 1150 FPS. The penetration was 9-1/2" plus or minus 1/2". No expansion was noted. The alloy of the lead was 60% pure, 37% hard bird shot which adds antimony and arsenic, and 3% tin. In this session I also tested my 308 with a 162 gr RNGC at a muzzle velocity of 1800 FPS with the same alloy and got 13-1/2" of penetration, expansion to .7"on all, and weight retention between 90% and 105% (no doubt a hidden piece of phone book). With that penetration of the 9mm in that hard medium, at that range the boolit will completely pass through even a large deer unless it hits a major bone.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 10-27-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks for posting the info.

Boolit Master

If you already have a 12 gauge break open single shot, you can get a 9mm barrel blank from Green Mountain Barrels and custom fit it as a full length insert for the 12 gauge barrel. Quite a few calibers and lengths. 9mm from around $20-60, dependent upon length.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/new-gun...eatured&page=1

Having a lathe (or a friend with on) would make it a bit easier to create this sort of full length insert.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    John Taylor, do you ever do any rebarrel work on Ruger single actions? I have a Single Six with 4-5/8 barrel. I would like to convert it to a 5.5" barrel. I have a used barrel I purchased, or you could make one from scratch.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    what I was wondering about is taking a factory H&R barrel like a 357 cut it off and face it just past the chamber , then drill ream and tap the stub then turn down and thread the part of the factory barrel cut from the stub , thread the barrel into the stub and cut the chamber for 9mm or 38spl and extractor slot , you could also take the 30-06 barrels barrels and reuse them in a shorter by about 5 inches version in any cambering you wanted in 30 cal like 357-30 the rimmed version of 300 blackout and it would cost time and the fairly inexpensive barrels or give an almost unused barrel a whole new life

Boolit Master
    I just modified my 357 by using 357 max brass & trimming it to basically a 360 Dan Wesson case. I'm not interestered in shooting cast through my full auto rated suppresor, so I keep my jacketed loads subsonic. Trimming the barrel length to 16 1/2 also helped with the suppression.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kopperl View Post
    Like the 9mm, I'd love to have a Handi rifle barrel in 7.62x25. It is a great little cartridge, light recoil, yet moving right along.
    Perfect for plinking or teaching that coon to stay out of your trashcan.

Have a 7.62x25 Contender barrel that cost less than $200.
    My handi came originally with the 7.662x39 bbl as a Davidson's special. The knock on them was they would not fire surplus ammo. My thoughts are: Who would want to shoot surplus ammo? It does great with cast, I have never shot anything over 165 gr but have sen the write up of someone using a 180 gr bullet.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    what I was wondering about is taking a factory H&R barrel like a 357 cut it off and face it just past the chamber , then drill ream and tap the stub....
    Like this? Getting ready to throw it in the classifieds on here.

Boolit Master

With an Encore or a Contender, you can buy a barrel commercially and expect it to work on your Encore or Contender frame. With the H&Rs though, the factory says that you must send your receiver to them and they need to fit the barrel to your particular receiver. As such, buying a barrel from anyone other than H&R might be a bit iffy since their barrel was fitted for their receiver and it might not be quite right for your receiver. Are H&Rs so inconsistent on tolerances that they actually need to have their barrels *fitted*? The barrels for my Encore might be a bit more expensive than the ones for the H&Rs, but I know that regardless of where I buy a barrel, it's a quick swap to get the new barrel installed and no "fitting" is required.