Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Turning a 375 bb in to a 356 bb?

Turning a 375 bb in to a 356 bb?

What is involved in converting a 375 Big bore to a 356 big bore?

My current big bore is a top eject, it seems the 356 was only ever offered in angle eject (or at least available barrels are only suitable for angle eject models). Can the angle eject issue be sorted by cutting another extractor notch to suit a top extract eject?

I assume new cartridges guides would need to be installed. Would a new bolt be required?

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    This one interests me. How hard would it be to be to make your 94 Big Bore into a take down with a switch barrel. The cases are near identical except for bullet diameter. Shouldn't be problems. But what do you need with an M-94 when you have an M79? I've got a Big Bore in 444 Marlin. Sweet rifle. I have men from my church who love to borrow it for hog hunts. Come to think about it - It never got returned last month.

Wish I could be more help.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting, but I'm a 375 fan with an investment in dies, moulds and brass so haven't given it much thought. Bolt might just work but I honestly don't know. I've seen a few 356's around here but not sure how many made it down your way. How's the brass availability down there?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I remember the threads as being different between the Big Bore vs regular 30-30 barrels. But I would think a 356 should screw right up to you 375 receiver.

check out this link
    http://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?t=46504&p=581858
    and another
    http://levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14394
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    It will be easier to have a barrel made to suit your top eject action. With the angle eject action, not only was the bolt different but the action was machined to allow side ejection. The cartridge guides were different but the ones you have can be altered to suit. I don't know for sure but I think the action threads between top eject and angle eject might be different. The AE barrels were certainly a heavier profile and have a larger front barrel band to fit the heavier profile barrel.

If you want more oomph you could do what I did to a 375BB and ream the chamber out to 375/356.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Possibly a reline is a good bet.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would think having a new barrel made would be the most straightforward, headache-free route to take.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Not to be a negative Nancy, but is this worth it? Going from .377 to .359 in boolits diameter is a very minor drop. This being cast boolits I figure rolling you own isn't a problem. I think getting new molds would much cheaper for two cartridges that are very similar.
    Father, fool, friend.

Boolit Grand Master

Wouldn't be worth it to me, micky, but that's not for me to say. I'm a big fan of the 35 (36) caliber rifle cartridges but I have a weakness for the 375 and 380 rifle cartridges as well. I think it will be an interesting project if he decides to do it. He may be set up to load for the .356 or have another rifle chambered in it.
    I'd probably lean towards the reline option myself if that's available.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.