RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tricked out Henry 30-30

Boolit Master
    I had a gentlemen PM me and said that I might have the same problem. I know that there are some strange vibrations going on with that mag tube and hanger only a couple of inches from the barrel.

I am hoping it is like my Pre-64 winchester 70. The barrel has almost no freefloating, and there is a big ol screw that secures the stock to the barrel about halfway down. With everything I know about firearms and accuracy, my model 70 should not be a shooter--It sure does shoot!

I am hoping that the mag tube will not be an issue. If it does effect accuracy, I am going to find a way to hang that sucker in a way that wont degrade accuracy.

My main issue with my "experiment" is not having enough money right now to buy the scope that I want. The scope mount and rings are already going to be in the 70 dollar range. Once the scope gets here, I will start a new post with my initial groups and load data. Then I will start knocking down accuracy robbing variables. It should be a pretty fun experiment.

Here is what I would love to put on this gun: Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x56mm Long Range Riflescope

BUt, 900 bucks is alot of money to spend on a scope--it might as well be a million right now. I have a feeling it will probably be after x-mas before this happens. For now, I'll probably rob a 3x12 redfield off another gun. However, it is really cold outside, so I don't know how much shooting will happen for a while.
    Last edited by birch; 12-03-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting project, but I have a suggestion. As much as I like the VX-3 a good fixed-power scope is quite often used by long-range shooters; more than a few shoot to 1000 yds and more with a good 6X fixed. If you're not going to be shooting anything close up the variable power feature is a waste of money.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I am thinking that the most I want to shoot is 350 yards. 400 yards at the most.

I really like a high magnification when shooting 100-300 yards. If I can see my heartbeat, I know that I have to focus on control and breathing and also trigger pull. It makes me a better shot under high magnification.

When critter hunting, a 4 or 6x is perfect for me.

In Remembrance
    I have heard that at least on some levers, how many rounds is in the tube affects point of aim. I think for all practical purposes this is not a problem, but for bench rest it might and long range maybe even more. I know there is at least one company that specializes in accurizing lever actions that supposedly has there own way of securing the magazine tube to supposedly eliminate these problems. You would proably have to be a better shot than I am to really notice these problems, unless in more severe cases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I have heard that at least on some levers, how many rounds is in the tube affects point of aim. I think for all practical purposes this is not a problem, but for bench rest it might and long range maybe even more. I know there is at least one company that specializes in accurizing lever actions that supposedly has there own way of securing the magazine tube to supposedly eliminate these problems. You would proably have to be a better shot than I am to really notice these problems, unless in more severe cases.
    This is certainly true on my Marlin 1894 in 357.

Boolit Master
    I think that most guns are better shooters than I am. That is why I am so excited about getting this 30-30 going. I have looked and looked for people who have tried to benchrest this cartridge and have not found anything. There are alot of contender and Handi rifle 30-30 users, but most people just assume that the round is good for a 100 yard deer gun and nothing more. If I can create a shooter that is just as good of a shot as me, I will be happy. We might have to rely on each other to get the job done!

Have decided on Leupold one piece sts base and rings--I'll pick them up tomorrow and post the first round of tests.

Most Benchrest shooters will not use a lever gun - they want a bolt usually
    a Remington 788 30-30 is good choice.
    But if you look for some shooting long range results
    it gives a good indication of accuracy potential

32-40 Marlin Model 1893 - 1896 vintage rifle shooting steel at 400 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMi5OEDVj_E

Marlin 38-55 - at 400 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U7Te8-c-0w

Winchester 30-30 1894 at 575 yards.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJhmnIbw0Ao

Marlin 30-30 at 650 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiqOyisOBE8

Marlin 30-30 at 900 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8bPEPc3fnA

Marlin 38-55 at 1050 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL5FrxeeOVM
    Last edited by Artful; 12-04-2014 at 11:51 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think the half magazine and tenon style attachment is the biggest reason my Glenfield is so accurate, aside from good ammo.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Nothing wrong with what you have chosen in my opinion. I think you could do the same thing with a single shot H&R 30-30 for 1/3 the money.

But hey, its your money, your time, your attitude.
    IF you can find one. H&R quit making then either this year or last. Plus the price of a Handi is only a few dollars less than a used lever.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

I wonder if they are going to move H&R production elsewhere?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

I believe H&R is done for. Bud's has the biggest supply of what us left.
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-cent...ps-production/

Oh, this is sad news - and me not having enough spare to order stuff before it all disappears.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

The more I read about the antics of big gunmakers the more I want to support Henry. What a great company, they actually care about good rifles and customer service. I suppose the others have forgotten that when you take care of the former, profits will follow. Better start saving for an H009!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    The more I read about the antics of big gunmakers the more I want to support Henry. What a great company, they actually care about good rifles and customer service. I suppose the others have forgotten that when you take care of the former, profits will follow. Better start saving for an H009!
    Got my second one last week.
    Father, fool, friend.

Quote Originally Posted by micky_blue View Post
    Got my second one last week.
    Same here. A 44 Big Boy and a H001 22. Love 'em both.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. -- John Wayne