MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumper Shoots! He Scores!

Boolit Grand Master

Thumper Shoots! He Scores!

Decided I wanted to put the smackdown on a big hog I'd been seeing this past weekend so Ol' Ugly stayed in camp Saturday night, this boar is so big he looks huge 150 yards away in the dark or in the fog. Others have seen him recently so I know it's not just me.
    Well, the big boar didn't show but a certain nice, fat sow and her sisters wandered by about sundown and most of you know I generally won't let a decent hog pass by, just sorry I wasn't able to get at least one of her sisters. RD 460-350 broke her back and dropped her in her tracks. She'll eat good, meat had almost no smell when I butchered her, better than most store-bought meat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (4).JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	123995
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

Mmmmm...Bacon! Nice hog, I really need to get down to Texas and hunt them sometime. Also need to work on that back burnered .45-70 project of mine.

Excellent! Kill the sows first.....you've done a service by saving her breeding again, and again, and again......
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Vendor Sponsor

Nice work!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Of course you know now that you shot something with 'Thumper', 'Ol Ugly' is gonna sull up like a possum and not shoot right for a month now lol!! Better pet her up and tell her she's going hunting again soon. Nice hog!

Nice sow, should be tasty!

Boolit Master

Nothing like the smell of bacon in the morning
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Raid on woods hogs meat very good table fare
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Congrats on the nice sow TXGunNut. I'm so envious, I'm gonna go put a fresh pot of coffee on, throw a pound of bacon in the pan and start mixin' up the pancake batter.

One plus to having a feral hog problem, you can eat 'em without having to feed them.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    I want to try smoked feral hog shoulder some day. Brine it for a couple days with maple syrup and peppercorns in the brine, the just smoke it for hours and hours.
    Father, fool, friend.

Banned

You guys don't know what it takes to make bacon, curing and a slow smoke. Apple wood the very best. Ham is another hard thing. Cure and smoke slow and cool. Age just right.
    Eat the hog fresh but please don't call it bacon.
    Micky says it best.
    I am a bacon nut and 1/2# for breakfast is just a start. Store bought is OK but nothing like home made.

Boolit Bub

Looks like Bacon in the Makin to me! And several other potential pork products. Nice shootin!

Boolit Grand Master

It takes a really big hog to make bacon, have a few lbs of porkbelly but it's headed for sausage. I was thinking about brining a ham and giving my new smoker a little workout. I think some brats should hang out there for awhile too.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Of course you know now that you shot something with 'Thumper', 'Ol Ugly' is gonna sull up like a possum and not shoot right for a month now lol!! Better pet her up and tell her she's going hunting again soon. Nice hog!
    Thanks, but Ol' Ugly was already ticked off at me for blowing that first shot on the spike.

Boolit Master

Nice work on the hog. You guys are makin me hungry.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    Way to go! Man I want to shoot a piggy!

Boolit Buddy
    We have a butcher shop here that makes "Columbus Ribs". He takes the spare rib and leaves the pork belly attached. They are SO GOOD!!!

just an idea for your piggy.
    Father, fool, friend.

Very nice , thumper is a great name for your rifle. Smoke that meat.
    Scout,plan,execute, repeat

Banned

Nobody's asked yet so I will; what is the load you used with that Ranch Dog bullet? Been contemplating off and one what kind of mold to get for my .45-70 to start working on it in earnest, the other Ranch Dog designs I've used are good ones.

Boolit Grand Master

My RD moulds were made by Lee, but I hesitate to put the exact load out as it's unsafe for Trapdoors and other weaker guns. It's 46.0 grs of Reloder 7 but again it's only safe in strong actions in good repair. It's not the upper end of the 45-70's capability in a strong rifle but it's all that I want to deal with and it's up to the task of smacking down big hogs.