RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Ponsness Warren 800C value?

Ponsness Warren 800C value?

Hey Guys,
    I'm trying to help out a Church member sell off his reloading equipment. He has gotten past the point in time where he is able to reload or shoot and is looking to moving to assisted living.
    One item he has is a Ponsness Warren 800C in 12 gauge, it looks to be in very good condition and looks to be very lightly used. The reloader is set up to make trap loads but I have not figured out what the exact load is and he cannot remember what it is. The only small issue I can find is a crack on the powder hopper/tube. I am wondering what the value is on this machine.
    Because of the weight of the machine, I'm going to try and sell this machine locally but I am not sure what the value of this machine is. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, jmsj

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased a used Size-O-Matic 900 in good shape a year ago and paid $500 for it. Bought it from a friend who didn't need it anymore. I had watched a few on E-Bay and they were selling between $350 and $500 plus a substantial amount for shipping. Hope this helps!
    P.S. These machines are awsome. You can reload ALOT of shells in short order once they are adjusted.

You can also check Trapshooters.com to get an idea of the value of your PW 800C. I haven't perused that website for a year or two but they would regularly show up for sale there.

Boolit Master
    You can try here: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/ . You may be able to find somebody in your area.

Vendor Sponsor

Try your local gun club. If they shoot Trap or Skeet there you'd probably find someone to off it to. I'd look for at least $500. The current iteration of these machines sells for $900. So $500 should be a good deal for both the buyer and the seller.

http://reloaders.com/

If nobody locally wants it then put it up at www.trapshooters.com. I'd ask $650 over there and it would sell in 15 minutes!

Hope this helps

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    The 800c is one of the less desirable older loaders from Ponsness. I think you would be fortunate to get $500 for it. You might to do an advanced search of sold auctions on eBay for some direction.

Thanks for the replies.
    Randy,
    I was thinking along the same lines as you were. I'm just not very familiar with these reloaders. I've always heard that they were top shelf.
    The MEC sizemaster handles all the shotgun shell reloading that I do.
    Thanks, jmsj

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Beeser is right, this is a older machine, but at that, they still go for about $400!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

This site has a lot of info on the older PW machines: http://www.swsupply.com/

I really think this site, which jsizemore mentioned, http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/ is a good source. Lot of friendly folks on that site.
    regards,

Boolit Master
    I had one missing the primer feeder, after looking at replacement part prices for the discontinued presses, I gave it away.

Banned

you might want to set that press up and try it out. [you'll probably sell your MEC after using it]
    most reloading books have a chart in the back or front of the shot shell data for their powders in the ponsess warren machines.
    off the top of my head I'd bet he has a j-1 or a K bushing in the powder and probably a #-6 in the shot hole.
    this would make a 1145 fps 1-1/8th oz load with stuuf like red/green dot.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    The problem to me with the 800 models is the way the shells (hulls) are secured in the carrage.

If (when) you have a problem (usually primer related) it is impossible to fix the problem hull with out tearing the whole thing apart?

I sold my PW 800C and went another way.

I prefer the Texan progressive and the older Deitmeyer Model Loaders?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Thanks for the replies every body.
    runfiverun,
    I would love to keep the machine but his wife was getting REAL anxious to get all of his gun stuff out of the house (long story). I ended up buying everything we couldn't get sold. Now I need to get this press sold and pay back our account. Besides the press, most of what was left was reloaded ammunition. There was close to 1,000 rounds of various cartridges. Some with load info (correct and incorrect, mixed headstamps and mixed primers}, some without, some of it looked OK and some of it looked suspect. For safety sake I cut all the shotgun shells open (I did save the shot) and pulled down all the metallic cartridges. Having ammunition of uncertain quality laying around was just more than I was willing to risk.
    I've gotten in touch with some local guys that shoot trap and we'll see if gets some interest. I'm hoping the included 2+ 5 gallon buckets of hulls, a bunch of wads and some MTM ammo boxes sweetens the deal.
    Thanks, jmsj

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    The problem to me with the 800 models is the way the shells (hulls) are secured in the carrage.

If (when) you have a problem (usually primer related) it is impossible to fix the problem hull with out tearing the whole thing apart?

I sold my PW 800C and went another way.

I prefer the Texan progressive and the older Deitmeyer Model Loaders?
    Sorry to the OP for getting off track but that is one nice Texan you have there Seagiant. I think they are one of the most under rated vintage shotshell loaders. Except for the sometimes troublesome auto priming setup it's a smooth and sturdy machine.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    For the OP if you go to Shotgun World and put $400 on your PW 800 it will be gone in a few hours!

Figure in at least $60 for packing and shipping, it's heavy and need a wood bottom to support it in a box!

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php