Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 22 Hornet and Pellets

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    why not use these?

they have no powder and they are quiet...and they are already assembled.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/250...ad-solid-point
    Ah yes, the Aguila full-length but 20gr. Long Rifle, which is not only subsonic but very subsonic, and does away with the theoretical disadvantage of a shorter round in the LR chamber. It has exactly the performance of the sort of airgun I can buy undocumented over the counter in the UK, and it might be easier to use accurately than a spring air rifle, with its peculiar early recoil. Otherwise its only real advantage is not having to buy another and possibly less interesting gun when you've got one.

I think you put your finger on it, though, with the words "already assembled". A lot of people want to invent something all their own, and preferably easier than inventing a new kind of gun.

I notice that Aguila on their website, lacking the mind over matter powers of the gifted amateur, say of this ammunition: "WARNING: These rounds are powered by the rimfire primer only. They must only be fired in handguns. If fired in rifles, the bullet may remain lodged in the barrel." Even a tiny powder charge is a different thing entirely. Those few grains will burn at least as slowly as the full charge - most likely a lot more slowly, since the burning rate of smokeless increases much more than in proportion to pressure. Unlike the primer explosion, the gas supply keeps on coming.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 04-11-2016 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    I pulled the bullets from my dud 22 lr and loaded them with 4.5 gr of Unique, SP primer. Haven't shot them yet, will try later this week.
    Rond,
    Sounds like a neat idea, but since you will be close to 2,000 f.p.s. with a plain base bullet, you are likely to get some leading.
    3 grains of Unique would be better and around 1500 f.p.s.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    why not use these?

Be careful not to shoot these at a hard surface with these (including target boards) at close range. If you do, they will come back in your direction!
    Accuracy was great at 15 yards. At 25 yards the group opened to 8+"!

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

I have fired the 225438 sans gas check with 2.2/231. The 5 shot group @ 50 yards was 5/8".
    Velocity was 1,300 f.p.s.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Ok, so you got me interested. Check out these videos using only a .22 pellet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOZpy55U-jY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc5r...id=MOZpy55U-jY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYElPDLPosE

Crazy stuff. Be safe out there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by w30wcf View Post
    Be careful not to shoot these at a hard surface with these (including target boards) at close range. If you do, they will come back in your direction!

w30wcf
    That is a possibility. I should have thought soft wood would be enough to prevent this, but I have heard reports of .41 rimfire derringer bullets (maybe from deteriorated rounds) bouncing back from a tree.

Here are .177 air rifle pellets which hit solid steel. Fragments broke away from the edges and probably headed off sideways, losing their velocity very quickly. But that central peak looks like some lead could have been projected straight backwards. This would be just the opposite of what I found when I fired Nosler solid based boat-tails at a large brass block. The cavities left were about spherical, 3/4in. diameter inside and slightly narrowed at their tastefully lace-trimmed edge. The inside of the cavity was entirely lead-plated, too thin to dull the texture of torn brass. But in each one a little gilding metal button from the base of the bullet was left to rattle about loose.

Attachment 166037

Boolit Bub
    Have used standard .22 pellets with Small Rifle primers and from 0.5 to 0.7gn of bullseye to thin out the sparrow population and head shoot young rabbits out to around 15 yards or a little more. Depending on the barrel length of your rifle - they hardly make a noise.

Boolit Master

My idea and thought on this (in addition to using existing pellet sources) is to make a "pound die" that would swage a lead cylinder into the proper diameter for loading in a Hornet or .223 case with a small gr. weight of powder. In thought and theory it would be male/female die with a base plug to form the hollow "skirt" of the projectile. The whole thing would be a straight sided cylinder with matching point and base. Point being outward pointing and the base being inward hollow. So the point forming die would be the exact opposite of the base hollow "skirt" forming die. If this makes sense. rolled in ALOX or JPW and then loaded for small game or target duties. It could conceivably be made with minimal skills and a drill press I would think. Not trying to hijack......
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

49F, I found a target from back in 2013 when I was playing with this. H&R Handi Rifle, unmodified case, SP only, pellets shown in picture. I see the notes show 40 yrds! I don't know if the flyer was the first shot; but more likely the 5th as I got all giggly from the first four and blew a nice group on the 5th (I tend to do that).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22HornetPellets (2).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	166065
    Last edited by dudel; 04-12-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    38 grains (wheel weight alloy), no gas check, wee bit of tin in a lead bullet and it will work with a primer in most guns.
    NOE 225-37-FN 2 cavity 1GC 1PB
    If you are truly of the opinion it won't work you probably wouldn't mind putting your thumb over the muzzle for a test fire, hey?
    OK, Just for grins I had to give this a try.
    I happened to be in the shop today working on other stuff and I grabbed 5 fired hornet cases,
    I deprimed with a punch to leave the cases unsized.
    I reprimed with a Winchester SRP
    I hand lubed a Herters 43.5 grain copy of the Lyman 225438 and left the GC off - unnsized about 0.226"
    Hand seated it into the mouth of the case - friction fit and left it long.
    Loaded the round into the 20" barreled rifle. Closing the action seated the bullet.

-Keep in mind this big test is a little short on data points-

Shot the round at a scrap of wood (fur) at about two feet. Nothing.
    The rifle's action made more noise than the primer.
    That told me the bullet did not exit the barrel - Yup - I got a rod and pushed it out - it made a measured 2.5" up the tube.
    SO, I made and second round but this time added exactly one grain of 3F Black
    Well -This time I went outside - smart huh? That round took the small block of wood off the trash can and 20 feet into the back yard.

I'll have to try a pellet next.
    Chill Wills

Banned

I'm surprised one grain made that big a difference. How loud was it?

Boolit Buddy
    Ive shot a 12.3 grain load of 3F with a 37g sounds like a muffled/low boom-no crack--16penny nail gun/or roofing air gun
    loved the smoke,

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I'm surprised one grain made that big a difference. How loud was it?
    The report was pretty darn small - about like accidentally dropping a hammer on a concrete floor.
    I guess the first grain makes the largest difference in power tho, - from zero to one grain of powder.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    I've been told its dangerous to load a low amount of black powder and leave an air gap

Vendor Sponsor

Oh my! let's not even go there. Shouldn't play with guns either - gonna put an eye out.

Carry on......
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Originally Posted by mozeppa
    why not use these?

Maybe because they aren't 22 Hornet? OP was asking about using pellets in 22Hornet brass.
    Those rounds ARE super quiet in my Henry levergun.

yeah... i got that. but how expensive would a used 22 rifle be vesus all this headache?

Banned

How much headache to knock out a primer, reprime and seat a pellet?

The problem with your argument, and reason I now own several .22 Hornets and a couple of Sheridan Blue Streaks now is THERE WASN'T ANY .22 AMMO! I personally decided I was never gonna let a shortage like that have me over a barrel again, so I started messing with stuff I wouldn't have normally messed with and had a lot of fun in the process.

In the past few months, I have found some and have shot a couple of my .22 rifles a bit, but after squirrel hunting with my Savage 219 in .22 Hornet, I doubt I'll ever go back to rimfires. It's cheaper and performs better.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    How much headache to knock out a primer, reprime and seat a pellet?

The problem with your argument, and reason I now own several .22 Hornets and a couple of Sheridan Blue Streaks now is THERE WASN'T ANY .22 AMMO! I personally decided I was never gonna let a shortage like that have me over a barrel again, so I started messing with stuff I wouldn't have normally messed with and had a lot of fun in the process.

In the past few months, I have found some and have shot a couple of my .22 rifles a bit, but after squirrel hunting with my Savage 219 in .22 Hornet, I doubt I'll ever go back to rimfires. It's cheaper and performs better.
    Give the man a cigar! Same story here. In 2013 (see pic above) you could only get 22lr for stupid money. Not playing that game. Pellets kept me shooting during the ammo shortage, and during the powder shortage. Pellets are cheap, and you can store them easily. 10k pellets won't break the bank, and take little space. Run out of primers, go to air rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by w30wcf View Post
    Rond,
    Sounds like a neat idea, but since you will be close to 2,000 f.p.s. with a plain base bullet, you are likely to get some leading.
    3 grains of Unique would be better and around 1500 f.p.s.

w30wcf
    Well my results were not as good as I had hoped. I used old mixed brass and had a lot of split cases. The ones that didn't split shot pretty well, the others were all over. Will try with better cases after I collect some more duds. Will try some with 3 gr to compare.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    OK, Just for grins I had to give this a try.
    I happened to be in the shop today working on other stuff and I grabbed 5 fired hornet cases,
    I deprimed with a punch to leave the cases unsized.
    I reprimed with a Winchester SRP
    I hand lubed a Herters 43.5 grain copy of the Lyman 225438 and left the GC off - unnsized about 0.226"
    Hand seated it into the mouth of the case - friction fit and left it long.
    Loaded the round into the 20" barreled rifle. Closing the action seated the bullet.

-Keep in mind this big test is a little short on data points-

Shot the round at a scrap of wood (fur) at about two feet. Nothing.
    The rifle's action made more noise than the primer.
    That told me the bullet did not exit the barrel - Yup - I got a rod and pushed it out - it made a measured 2.5" up the tube.
    SO, I made and second round but this time added exactly one grain of 3F Black
    Well -This time I went outside - smart huh? That round took the small block of wood off the trash can and 20 feet into the back yard.

I'll have to try a pellet next.
    If'n fella wanted to protect his thumb in this test he ought to use lino that is at least .003" over groove and maybe add some copper to the alloy.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.