MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22 Hornet Anyone?

Boolit Master

22 Hornet Anyone?

I think I need a 22 Hornet.
    I have a little crush on this cartridge right now.
    Is there anyone making factory rifles in this cartridge right now? Other than bolt guns?
    I guess a cool bolt wouldn't be bad either.
    LGS has an older H&R or NEF (not sure which one) single shot with ejectors.
    I'll have to check that out this week.

Hornets work well with cast right?
    Thanks for feeding the obsession guys!

There are LGS's in Mass that carry rifles? Shhhhhhhhhh... Pocahontas will try to shut it down!

Back on track... the CZ 527 American in 22 hornet is a sweet one!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Vendor Sponsor

I wish I did not have a Ruger and owned a CZ American. Give them a look - it is a bolt gun but any well put together singleshot will be some $$ above the CZ.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

HA! maxreloader beat me to it!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Hornet in a CZ. Love the rifle. Have Contenders in Hornets also. I want to love the Hornet but thin brass and different chamber sizes are a PITA. Thinking of dumping them for 221 Fireball.

Banned

My Savage 219 is a very good shooter with the kinds of cast I've shot in it (light, rimfire equivalent). Handles and points nicer than most bolt guns in my opinion.

I also have a Stevens 322 which is basically a Savage 340 and it is also a good shooter. I use a healthier load with a gas checked Bator in it and 5.5 grains of 2400.

In terms of fun for the buck, you can't beat a .22 Hornet. I may sell off some stuff to get a CZ527, I have never heard anything but glowing reports about them.

Boolit Mold
    I have a scaled version of the Stevens 44-1/2 falling block in Hornet, I had to cut the chamber myself with a clymer reamer when I re-barreled to the Hornet.
    I have seen them in Winchester Low walls too....the little Martini Cadet actions would be a sweet hornet rifle too...just throwing this out there for other possible options for you.
    I mostly use a lyman gas check mold with it.
    All the best!
    Gavin

My Hornet is a 1947 Brno ZK465 marked 5.6x35R - still shooting rabbits after 69 years!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

I've had my Ruger #3 for something like 35 years with ne'er a though of selling or trading it. Great backyard pest control with subsonic cast and, with 40 gr. JSPs, quite adequate for larger critters out to 100 yds or so. If you should find one, price will likely be about the same as a new CZ but I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    CZ 527 in 221 Fireball is very nice also.

Quote Originally Posted by wind power View Post
    I have a scaled version of the Stevens 44-1/2 falling block in Hornet, I had to cut the chamber myself with a clymer reamer when I re-barreled to the Hornet.
    I have seen them in Winchester Low walls too....the little Martini Cadet actions would be a sweet hornet rifle too...just throwing this out there for other possible options for you.
    I mostly use a lyman gas check mold with it.
    All the best!
    Gavin
    Do you still have the reamer? I have a project I will need a reamer for, be glad to buy it from you! ��
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master

Great now you've gone and messed me up with a 221 fireball!!!

Yes some stores in MA have not been put out of business by the illegal actions of our overlords yet.

Hmmmm. I guess I should consider what a 22 K Hornet would do for my needs. That would be really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.savagearms.com/search/ Four models to chose from.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Buddy
    I have a savage model 40 in hornet. It shoots great . Haven't tried cast boolits yet

Boolit Master
    I bought one of the first Ruger 77/22VHZ Hornets when I was a M*******. Since it's been here in Arizona it has been shooting the NOE 225-37-FN Gas Checked over Lil Gun. Great on Western Cottontails and Blacktail Jacks. Works on Coyotes out to 100 yds or so. Yes, you need a Hornet.

Just got a Savage 340-D , safe queen since 1975 has not been fired came with a Weaver 1" scope a 3-9 Marksman fine crosshairs , will be working up loads with jacketed bullets , 35gr Hornaday V-Max bullet I see H-110 for some speedy loads and 2400 , LilGuns also used , 6 type of jacketed bullets from 35gr. on up to a 53gr. bullet to work with !
    I do have a Ideal 34gr RNGC double mould though to use for edible game , bought it to thin out the Coyotes here , got a .22-250 but the small powder charges for the Hornet appeal to me and less noise makes for happy neighbors nearby and my 32-20 Win. Rifle I shoot hasn't caused complaints yet and nailed the Deer that has been eating my apples each year , I love that single shot bolt action , 50 yd. head shots with iron sights do the trick ! I could use a bit of help with handloads for my .22 Hornet , a start and max but a sweet spot inbetween for best accuracy is what I am looking for !
    Never loaded for the .22 Hornet before

Always wanted a Hornet. Never wanted it bad enough to stop me from buying something else though........
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    When I hear about the hornet , the fireball comes to my mind as the new and improved version , but I just haven't got to it yet . It took me 20 years to convince myself I needed a 223 , instead of just grabbing my 243 .

Boolit Master
    It shouldn't be considered a deer rifle, other than for really tiny deer, but it would be fine for anything smaller. On the other hand it offers only two advantages over a lightly loaded .223 or one of its friends and relations. One is that the long neck is better for cast bullets, unless you plan for their bearing surface to be short - which sounds like a rabbit or squirrel load. The other is the rim, and the importance of this depends on the action. While a rimless extractor for the Cadet Martinis and Stevens falling-blocks can be made, it is a lot of either money or trouble, and might be of dubious reliability.

Boolit Master

Got 3 Hornets and would not part with any of them. Don't have a 221 fireball and don't want one.

Larry