RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: 300 BLK 245. How slow can you go?

300 BLK 245. How slow can you go?

Thought about trying to see how slow I could get the 245 gr Misouri Bullet co. coated boolits to go and still run my SBR action. Got it down to 650 fps but would not hold bolt open and had some unburned powder. Settled on 750 fps using 7.7 gr of 4227 with CCI 400 primers. This ended up being an absolute blast to shoot. Holds the bolt open, burns all the powder, and is soft, smooth and quiet.

The setup is an 8" SBR with a titanium carrier, heavy buffer, carbine spring, wide open adj. gas block, pistol gas, Opened up M4 feed ramps, D&H 20 rd 300BO magazine (rib set back for fat boolits) and a 45 octane suppressor.

The boolits were ordered at .311 which was essentially as cast and coated (not much resistance through sizer). I ran through 160 rounds today without any FTF issues. Brass made nice little piles at 4:00 and the round was plenty accurate. I did not shoot any groups from the bench but will do that soon.

This is not a hunting load or a defense load. Just something to shoot that is easy on the wallet, gun, ears and targets. Makes about 290 ft-lbs of energy at 50 yds. Drops like a rock. I use a 50 yd zero.

Next will be some of my own NOE 247's I am coating this weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1615.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	182998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1603.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	182999
    Last edited by Wedgie; 12-19-2016 at 04:23 AM.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Cast Hunter

Very interesting. I have a 16" barrel with a pistol length gas system. I've got the NOE 247 gn mold, but haven't played with loads much yet. I'll have to give 4227 a whirl. Thanks for the range report.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Where did you pick up the magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by Faret View Post
    Where did you pick up the magazine?
    The D&H 20 and 30 rd 300 blackout magazines are at Bravo Company.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/searc...gazine&Submit=

They are in stock now but they do run out. Seems like it takes a month or two for stock to replenish. They have an in stock email notification to let you know when they are restocked. I have not put any measuring tools to them but when I look and compare to other mil-spec mags I can't see a difference but the difference is definitely there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1595.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	183042
    Last edited by Wedgie; 12-18-2016 at 12:17 PM.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Boolit Bub
    Get the 220 grain from Leatherhead bullets. I'm playing around, trying to make dead quiet suppressed with an 8" SBR and gemtech can. Lots of fun, quiet, fairly easy on the wallet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting takedown pins. Actually you're about 2x the energy of my 40SW ad it kills hogs @ 25 very well. your 4" trajectory drop @ 50 isn't bad. I use lancer 10rnd mags in a 10" pistol that feed the blunt nose well (170 RD PB).
    Last edited by popper; 12-20-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Interesting takedown pins. Actually you're about 2x the energy of my 40SW ad it kills hogs @ 25 very well. your 4" trajectory drop @ 50 isn't bad. I use lancer 10rnd mags in a 10" pistol that feed the blunt nose well (170 RD PB).
    I was not planning to hunt with these but...I was thinking at slower speeds these might dump more energy into a hog than at 1,000 fps. In a hog at 1,000 it is like bow hunting. Not much knockdown power. At 1/7 and the high sectional density they don't destabilize in the target at that speed. All the energy just passes though the animal. Maybe at 750fps they will tumble in the target. I guess I need to go find out.

http://2a-arms.com/collections/taked...-takedown-pins

Boolit Bub
    ice build, is that all 2A stuff? I saw their rifles at a show and picked up a set of the pins myself. thinking to build a lightweight AR in the future and it's got my eye.

I have the NOE mold myself and have a Ghost in jail so just starting to look around at building a 300 upper. was planning on an 8-9" barrel, pistol gas, etc. Will use it 90% with subs and can. Any twist rates to make sure to get or avoid?

I had assumed 1680 was the go to powder for sub loads but sounds like there are others. I had considered TrailBoss as I have it from other loads, but don't see it used much could be just not enough case capacity for it (it's fluffy!).

looking forward to hearing more about your results. heavy bullets moving slow sounds like fun! My plan is to have the AR upper in 300 BO with the NOE 247gr and a 44 mag/spec lever gun (Ruger 96/44) with 300gr cast bullets for rifles.

I've been thinking of getting the KAK blade rig for my pistol. The pistol tube I have is short and I can't manually get lockback. Also found Lancer mags didn't work with my carbine lower but it turns out the lug is more narrow, aftermarket lug is wider and works fine.
    Whatever!