Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesome Safe Bug Killer: Diatomaceous Earth

Awesome Safe Bug Killer: Diatomaceous Earth

I had a friend tell me about this years ago and I never followed up on it but it has been in the back of my mind over the years. Diatomaceous Earth is basically ground up fossilized micro-algae which ends up being abrasive. It is a fine powder, looks and feels like flour. The Harris brand I bought is actually marketed to feed chickens as grit.

It is non-toxic and works by cutting up insect legs and then they die. I recently bought some at Wal-mart in the pesticide aisle and put in my old Spritzer brand Sevin Dust duster after cleaning it out really good. I don't know if they still make this duster but it works great. I dusted my garage, wellhouse and in the house under my cabinets and in all my corners.

Every bug I have seen is either dead or dying when I see it. I had a fly buzzing around on its' back on the floor yesterday apparently dying after crawling across some. My garage and wellhouse are bug-free as well. Haven't seen a live bug in either since I put it down. Plenty dead though.

I am amazed by this stuff and love that it is not poison. Works better than anything I've ever put down. Anyone else use it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240428_105851.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	326052
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    I put it in and around the doghouse. Keeps the fleas at bay…

Vendor Sponsor

Is diatomaceous earth safe for fruits and vegetables?

Diatomaceous earth is a safe, non-toxic way to control pests in the garden. It's effective against all insect pests that crawl on plants because contact with the powder is extremely dehydrating. Water plants, then dust with the powder. The moisture will help the powder stick to plants better.

Diatomaceous Earth around Strawberries. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the base of each plant to ward off slugs. You can also sprinkle it on the plants.

I always sprinkled cornmeal around strawberries to control the pillbugs. They eat it then it swells up in their gut and kills them.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I don't think you want to be breathing it though.
    Known traffic menace

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I put it in and around the doghouse. Keeps the fleas at bay…
    I've read several reports about it being great for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Is diatomaceous earth safe for fruits and vegetables?

Diatomaceous earth is a safe, non-toxic way to control pests in the garden. It's effective against all insect pests that crawl on plants because contact with the powder is extremely dehydrating. Water plants, then dust with the powder. The moisture will help the powder stick to plants better.

Diatomaceous Earth around Strawberries. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the base of each plant to ward off slugs. You can also sprinkle it on the plants.

I always sprinkled cornmeal around strawberries to control the pillbugs. They eat it then it swells up in their gut and kills them.
    I wonder if it would harm helpful insects that are pollinating the plants?
    Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    I don't think you want to be breathing it though.
    Similar to inhaling any type of dust. I will say I had scratchy eyes after dusting my 12x20' confined wellhouse.
    Here's the MSDS on it if interested:
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05...f?v=1624561033

Boolit Grand Master
    I tried using it to control fleas on my dog a few years ago, sadly it didn't work for Daisy and I. I had high hopes since I have seldom read of it not working, and I really don't like spreading poison around indiscriminately.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I tried using it to control fleas on my dog a few years ago, sadly it didn't work for Daisy and I. I had high hopes since I have seldom read of it not working, and I really don't like spreading poison around indiscriminately.

Robert
    Dang, I had heard good things about it for this.

Boolit Master

Termites, roaches,bedbugs, and fleas. I've used it for years in rental properties for all of them but you are going to have better results if you spray first. These insect life cycles are so fast, something passive as diatomaceous earth just won't keep up. I count on it to catch the stragglers that I miss when spraying. In dog runs and lawn treatment for flea control I use Sevin and follow up with dusting the bedding and kennels with diatomaceous earth. Just follow the application directions and you won't have any problems with pets or livestock.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Anybody know if it works for chiggers? We have chiggers bad and we usually spread sulpher around the house and in the yard . I’m afraid the red bugs are gonna carry us off this year.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master

I first read about Diatomaceous earth as a supplement in a sand pool filter it did have some warnings to not inhale it dry as it effects the lungs about like asbestos does .

It works because it is very sharp and cuts up the bellies of bugs crawling over it . Same can be done with Borax and Boric acid however when wet they are not sharp but becoming a solution.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    It’s basically just very fine dirt, so sprinkling in certain places, like out in the yard where it rains and the wind blows and you mow every so often, ends up not being effective - so people conclude that it doesn’t work at all.

However, inside a doghouse or in the garage, etc. DE can be effective, especially over a long period. I completely agree with Jeff that it’s better to spray some other chemical first, and I always use some type of pyrethrin product. We live in a rural area and have every kind of bug coming in the house; about the only critters that aren’t controlled are scorpions. However, they will usually eat some other sick insect and die from ingestion. You can recognize a scorpion killed by poisoning because they stretch out in a perfectly straight line, but will curl up if something else gets them.

We have lots of chiggers in the spring and I haven’t found anything that gets rid of them, so prevention is the best strategy. Long pants, high socks and use Off or Cutter repellents. Some years are worse than others, with high soft grass the worst.

Thank you for the report. I’m going g to try some.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

The chiggers are a problem. I usually resort to spraying Bifentherin when they are thick. I have another great trick to share as well.

For indoor small flying insects--gnats and mosquitos I'm looking at you--I bought these little Gloue brand indoor bug zappers and they work extremely well. Gnats and skeeters were always a problem here in the summer but I now have none. Worth the money for sure.

Name:	zappers.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	485.3 KB 
ID:	326080

Name:	zapper grid.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	326082

For my garage I got this Aspectek zapper and it works great. Keeps a lot of flies out of the house.

Name:	zapper garage.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	852.1 KB 
ID:	326083

DE works because it is talcum powder fine and made up of sharp edged crystals, like broken glass, the crystals get into eco-skeleton joints of insects and cuts their innards to shreads as they move. Literally, death by 1,000 cuts. Too small to hurt animals like a dog or cat, but effective on a roach or ant type.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Yep & 50lb is $40 it goes a long way.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    I wonder if it would harm helpful insects that are pollinating the plants?
    I've not had any strawberries that failed to bloom, usually the pillbugs don't manifest themselves until there is berries for them to eat. They also don't really climb to access fruit, just what touches the ground. Cornmeal and some straw mulch will save your strawberries.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I've not had any strawberries that failed to bloom, usually the pillbugs don't manifest themselves until there is berries for them to eat. They also don't really climb to access fruit, just what touches the ground. Cornmeal and some straw mulch will save your strawberries.
    Good to hear

Vendor Sponsor

Good to hear
    I bought these little Gloue brand indoor bug zappers and they work extremely well. Gnats and skeeters were always a problem here in the summer but I now have none. Worth the money for sure.

Name:	zappers.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	485.3 KB 
ID:	326080
    I did a few searches on these GLOUE thingys, best I can tell fruit flies aren't especially attracted to the particular light they give off that attracts other flying insects.

Fruit flies are one of the smarter flies, they get wise to an apple cider vinegar trap and will totally avoid it. They see a couple of their comrades dead and they quickly associate the smell of vinegar with death.

Boolit Master

Chiggers....... Keep the grass cut and use a good non-residual spray. I spray early in the spring and again in June. UTV mounted sprayer for the big areas and a backpack for small areas or perimeter around buildings. Doesn't seem to have any effect on the lizards..... I find that a bit of a surprise.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Cimexa (sp?) is similar, but more finely ground I think. I’ve dusted that stuff into walls in a rental as a barrier, works well for a long time. Also works when wet.

These work by abrading the waxy coating that almost all insects have, causing them to dehydrate.

Not toxic, but best not to breath it.