Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: I'm completely ignorant on custom molds

I'm completely ignorant on custom molds

I have 2 rifles that I want to cast for and can't find suitable molds. Looking on Accurate molds site it seems I can come up with something, but don't know what!

351 WSL - I want to shoot something in the 170-180gr range. I can't find a sizing die so am looking at shooting "as cast". With no sizing die, I'm thinking my options are tumble lube or powder coat. I would prefer to powder coat them just to keep things a bit cleaner. How does PC work on tumble lube bullets designs?? Better or worse than larger lube groove design? Does PC work well with paper patch designs, w/o actually using a paper patch??

450 Bushmaster - I want a 350-370gr rounded nose bullet for working in an AR platform. Feeding is my primary concern!! Do I need a gas check with the gas operated system? I will probably PC these to keep the gas system clean. Same questions on the bullet design - can a PCed paper patch design (w/o actually paper patching them) work??

Boolit Grand Master

Call accurate and talk to them on what you want what you and to do with it and how. Let them guide you through it. Youll want to know bore and groove of your barrels, and twist. Are these to be hunting or strictly target guns?

Boolit Master

The 351 is a bit of an oddball. You definitely need to size down or get a custom mold to shoot as cast. I don't really see any way around it.

Boolit Master

A .352-.353 diameter sizing die should not be a problem for Ammohead if you are using a Star.
    Lyman or RCBS may take a little more effort.
    LEE should be able to be modified easiest of all of them..

Boolit Mold
    Buffalo Arms made me a custom size die for my 351. Call them they are very accommodating. I also got my mold from accurate

Boolit Master

Buffalo Arms can do custom sizing dies for the Lee / RCBS pattern. .352-.353 should be within their abilities.

You're creeping up into the "gas checks might be a good idea" range with the .351. Obviously, for the gas check, you'll need the sizer, but the 35-180C or 35-180CG would be my choices. White Label's 45/45/10 tumble lube is great stuff for such a thing.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Bub
    Just looked on Lee's website and they have .351, .352, .353, .354 ect ect sizers all in stock.

I have a Lyman 450
    351 will be for killing stationary and tin cans
    450 BM will be griz protection when I am out with the dog

Will .358 bullets sized to .352 be stable?? I read years ago that you shouldn't size more than .002 off. Is my memory failing or was I lied to??
    I was planning on a custom mold on the 351. If I go that route can I shoot as cast? Accurates site says molds are -.000 +.002 tolerance. If I spec a .351 OD I should be ok if it throws them at .352 or .353. Is my thinking correct??
    I surfed a few sites so I may have gotten them confused but, I think it was the accurate site that said not to call as he has hearing issues and doesn't do well on the phone.

Boolit Master

If you have a 358 mold already, I would buy a custom sizer 0.001-0.002 over your groove diameter and size boolits you already have available. They will shoot just fine.

If you don't have a mold for 358, then I would buy the custom mold and the custom sizer.

Boolit Grand Master

Let me warn you ...

Custom Moulds ... in my case NOE Moulds ... Are Habit Forming !!!

You can't live with just one ... trust me !

I am a Cajun and we are very thrifty people , but after buying just one custom mould ... I was hooked !
    So be careful ... custom moulds are so alluring and hard to resist .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

I'm completely ignorant on custom molds
    I don't have any experience with the two calibers you mention, so I can't tell you much there. BUT, custom molds...as in you are specifying exactly what you want, I do know a little about that, but my knowledge may not transfer to your applications. It'd be great if you knew exactly what your gun wants. A poundcast of the chamber, will tell you things, if you know how to interpret the plug.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...rifle-chamber)

I would order just one mold first. You will learn things from that experience.
    One thing I experienced, after I spec'd a custom mold, then received it. I had a lot of preconceived notions about the mold I was to receive. But I was surprised when I got it. I got better informed about conveying the most pertinent info to the manufacturer and not wasting time (and making things confusing) with common info that is just plain obvious.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    is buffalo arms making molds and dies now or just ordering for one of the known masters to make?
    just thinking out loud here but we are in a golden era of custom mold makers.
    im not sure if it already exists but is there a comprehensive list of custom mold makers
    right off the bat I'm thinking of accurate, arsenal, miha of mp, mountain molds, NOE, and lee will also make molds to order I. guess if you order enough of them. who did I not mention?
    Last edited by farmbif; 05-10-2024 at 10:38 AM.