RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 25-20 wcf

Boolit Mold

25-20 wcf

Ok so I'm not giving loads, I'm asking for them. If this is not the right place please move my post.

I'm looking for heavy bullet loads for the 25-20. Something in the 100 -120 grain range.

If anyone's played with heavier than 85 grain CB loads, I love to hear it.

Thanks,

Mountain Meadow

Vendor Sponsor

Do you have a fast twist rifle of some kind?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Do you have a fast twist rifle of some kind?
    No, it is a 1927 Winchester '92, not sure of the twist but it is not a modern fast twist. Are these heavy bullets too long for the twist?

Vendor Sponsor

Yes, I think you will be disappointed.
    I have some longer 25 cal cast bullet molds and the accuracy isn't there in my Winchester 1892's. For years I have had plans to build a fast twist Win low wall singleshot and see what it can do, but, ..... other things keep getting in the way, so no help on the fast twist data.
    Chill Wills

100 grains is about max for accuracy in that case, 85 grain pills do better. Having load tested hundreds and hundreds never got anything heavier to shoot well, plus OAL can be an issue in some chambers. My best loads for accuracy came with 1680 powder, slightly better than the 4198 I had used for many years, and much easier to measure and load in those small necks. 25-20 was deemed a varmint cartridge when first brought out, with 85 grain boolits it shoots far enough and fast enough for small critters, even a coyote now and then.

Boolit Master

Suggest you go to the 25-20 Reloaders thread on the Marlin Owners website - 88 pages of some of the best info on 25-20 you will see on the planet. Also Ken Waters Pet Loads is pretty good on 25-20. I think the 92 Winchesters do better with 70 to 80 grain bullets than the original 86 grainers
    Being human is not for sissies.

I shoot a Lyman cast bullet in my Marlin 94CL 25-20.Lyman calls it a 65gr, but when cast from my scrap coww they come out at 73gr with the GC installed. They are deadly accurate. I have some 85gr jacketed bullets that are no where near as accurate as my shorter 73gr cast.

Boolit Master

I use this one with Green Dot in my original 1894 Marlin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25-20.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	326088

about 80 grains with my alloy, if I remember right.

edit to add: sized .259 with Lee push thru sizer.
    Last edited by Beerd; 05-02-2024 at 09:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have tried heavier bullets in my assortment of 25 WCF rifles. They sucked. Anything above around 90 grains would start shooting minute of barn door. I have been intrigued by some that have posted about differing rifling, but I'm not willing to rebarrel, and not looking for a new project in that department.
    What are you looking to do with the heavier bullets?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

A couple of the ASSRA benchrest guys have built .25-20 WCF rifles for 120 grain bullets, but they used 10" twist barrels to do it.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    ose it to hot loading.

Boolit Master

I shoot 90 gr cast which is as heavy as I can go with the 1:16 twist on my Savage and which is common on older 25-20's. The 60 gr and 75 gr slugs are much more inherently accurate. Also, I never found any success with spire point 25 cal. bullets.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

How big are you sizing those for your original 1894? I have an original Marlin from 1902 and it won’t hang in the accuracy department with my Savage 23.
    Thanks

Moderator Emeritus

I have but two firearms in this calibre: a Winchester Model 1892 Carbine -- S/n 870,xxx which was made in 1918; and, a Marlin 27S .25-20 octagon 24” barrel, S/n 11xx which was made in the time period of 1911-1918. As both are more-than-100-year-old arms, and neither are in "like-new" condition, my loadings have ALWAYS been on the very light side. I have newer rifles in calibres to send big bullets zipping to the target -- e.g., .22-250 and the like.
    For both of my 25-20 WCF, the heaviest bullet I tried was 110-grain bullets, but down-sized to 68-grain (powered by Unique) to maximize minimal leading and smallest group size at (75 yard range) target. My Marlin's barrel is quite pitted, which doesn't help.
    In response to your question, albeit I only experimented with bullets (including jacketed) up to 110 grain (also, Unique), the 68-grain does all I need. I do recall fair accuracy with 90-grainers, but this was accompanied with much more leading. E.g, the 68-grainer is my choice.
    geo