Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alloy ID?

Boolit Mold

Alloy ID?

I got a bucket of lead, some have been cast into bullets and some little containers Along with Various ingots. They test to be 17.3 BRN and have a strange crystalline type look, Maybe normal, but I’m a new caster and have never seen this… I had the mold made for Lyman number two alloy to 483 grains And they come out weighing exactly that very uniform in weight The 20 I cast last night Range 482.4-483.9. Thank you for all your help…(pot running right about 750)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2149.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Welcome to the forum!

They look frosty to me. Better than wrinkles and poor fill out. Do you have more clues to what alloy you are using? Are they hard with a lot of antimony? Do they ting instead of thud when dropped on concrete?

I love the looks of them! What are they going to be loaded into?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

They look frosty to me. Better than wrinkles and poor fill out. Do you have more clues to what alloy you are using? Are they hard with a lot of antimony? Do they ting instead of thud when dropped on concrete?

I love the looks of them! What are they going to be loaded into?
    They are very smooth, i rubbed the one on the left and it smoothed on upper left side… they are definitely hard have an audible ting the hardness tested to 17.3, i am loading in a black powder equivalent 45-70 pressure should be around 17,400

Boolit Mold
    One other sidenote I should add the mold was supposed to throw a .459 projectile and it also throws exactly that.

Boolit Master
    Have you hit one with a hammer to see if it is brittle? That looks like a LOT of antimony.

Boolit Mold
    I haven’t hit one with a hammer but i sure can this evening, i know one rolled off of a 32” high desk onto a hardwood floor and you couldnt tell (no dents dings or anything at all)

Welcomt to the forum.

Sure looks like frosting from the pot being a bit too hot to me.
    I'd load & shoot 'em.

If you don't have one, I'd encourage getting a 'Lyman Cast' handbook.
    It has articles in the front end that will help you alot, and it talks about frosting too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, Winger Ed. Im not going to say that its not frosting but all my experience (very little) frosting usually had a course surface, these are glass smooth even though they dont look it in the pic. If you were to feel a bullet youd think it was a perfect casting, its just a color not a texture… all of the lead from this bucket is this way, i have air cooled and have water quenched they all look the same. If i cool my pot down any at all i get wrinkles in the bullets…

Boolit Buddy
    You mentioned it was a bucket of lead. Does that mean its all the same alloy or just a portion of it are these hard bullets? If you are shooting a 45/70 at low pressure you do not need bullets that hard so consider cuting them with 2 parts soft lead for a BHN ~10.

I recovered some shot at a trap range and the ingots had that same course crystal structure. My guess is it was because shot doesn't have any tin in it and (maybe?) the large crystals are the Antimony. The shot was surprisingly soft but adding some tin it hardened a lot and the size of the crystals became normal.

Boolit Mold
    Yes it is a bucket of lead i picked up at an auction that someone had already cast a bunch of bullets in as well as some small 1.5”x 3” containers that were about 3/8-1/2” thick all of the lead from this bucket makes bullets that look like that

It might be a good idea to send out a sample to one of our venders that will analyze it for ya.

If it's some super hard alloy, you could cut it with pure Lead and save a few bucks on buying other 'goodies'
    to alloy with farther on down the road.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    If all of the lead is the same alloy that makes it much easier. A lot of times it is assorted unknown lead and you have to melt it all together to try and guess what it is. You have a very hard alloy and you can cast it as is or use them to harden softer lead.

Those are some nicely cast fully formed bullets for a newer caster. You are doing it right so cast away and have fun.

Moderator Emeritus

i can't tell ya what your 17 alloy is, but i can tell ya i surely wouldn't use that hard alloy with "black powder equivalent 45-70" i would just set that alloy aside for future use when you need a hard alloy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Thank you Delkal im new but ive been trying to do my research. JonB ive got a shiloh on the way ive been waiting for, for a couple years and i know it will take modern pressure but have really gotten into the black powder stuff as ive also got a 45-120 in a rolling block… i will definitely set this stuff aside im thinking more along the lines of a 12-14brn as the bullet does have a slight boat tail and by my research i will need a little harder alloy because of the reduction in bearing surface and i plan on trying a reverse gascheck behind the bullet as that gives me the best results from the 45-120.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you have any soft lead you can mix with your existing stash and try casting again after it’s diluted?

Boolit Mold
    Yes currently in the process, if i can get it to a 13, ill stop there… i have some 1” thick bricks from an old hospital xray room that is as soft as it gets.

Boolit Mold
    So update i was able to turn down the heat and get a smooth bullet however all the grooves were rounded and weight varied much more the first one on the left is the right bullet in the first picture, the middle is an in between and the third was poured at 700 degrees and was the 10th or 11th set with the warmed up mould… the first is most consistent …Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2158.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	326189

Boolit Buddy
    I like to cast hot too. You will see books recommending to cast at 100 degrees from when the lead melts but I get the best results at over 700 no matter what alloy I use. I wouldn't expect to get rounded edges at 700 though so I suspect your alloy needs some tin but if you can get good bullets at a higher temp as is go for it.

Like others have also mentioned I think you can cut this alloy with a good bit of lead and if you are using it for hunting add a few percent of tin or pewter. But that comes later. You have good bullets so go shoot them.

And start looking for more lead. It doesn't take many 500 grain bullets to drain a pot.

Boolit Master
    So if you don’t like the look that comes with higher alloy temp but don’t get the fill out you want at lower temps, maybe a bit more tin is in order at those lower temps?

Boolit Buddy
    I’d like to see photos of the contents of the bucket of “lead” you got. I bet it’s rich with antimony and was someone’s stash for enriching soft lead before you got it.

And I really really like the look of those boolets! Custom mold from?
    When you get a softer alloy worked out, I’d like to buy a sample handful for function testing one of these days...