RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Texas Heat

Boolit Grand Master

Texas Heat

We moved here. Central TX.
    Im using Larsen's BAC lube for everything. It'll get over 100 here very soon. Should I swicth lubes??
    Something a bit harder like Carnauba Red?? The shooters I've met, non casters, go around 8-830am and leave before 11am.
    Suggestions please!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Using soft lube is the perfect reason for you to get a big air conditioner for your shop.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I would switch to a harder lube! I run the Carnauba Red year around.

Boolit Grand Master
    For all applications?? I prefer one lube if I can. I shoot a lot of TL lube as well.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I have used BAC on hots days (96 ish) I would make sure I had my ammo in a Styrofoam cooler that temperature sensitive medications are shipped when in my car and would keep the ammo in the shade when shooting. No issues I know not quite TX hot but pretty close. I think in record should be okay as long as you keep them in shade and provide protection in a car where temperatures will exceed ambient temperatures.

Boolit Master

a bit of a side trail here but that's the reason I went to powder coating.

I would find the lube had melted a bit and covered the rest of the bullets--this is the ones I cast and lubed and were in boxes waiting to be loaded

As yankee General Phil Sheridan said, "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell."
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got a couple of hundred of various calibers loaded up.
    I'll keep them in a Coleman cooler i'll always have with me.

Then consider a stiffer lube. I go shooting next week!!!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Moderator Emeritus

Take a dab of your lube and put it on a piece of aluminum foil in your shop. If it melts, you need to swap lubes. If it doesn't you're good to go. Keep your loaded ammo cool and transport it to the range in a cooler. This is the reason powder coating became more prevalent. Ranch Dog was in south central Texas and used Lee Liquid lube for everything. Just see if you have a problem before you change.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

I live in western Arizona [can literally see 50 miles into California from my back yard]. It runs 100 - 115 for several months and has gotten up to 120 - 128 for a week or two in late summer. I use a lot of BAC in my pistol loads and almost exclusively use Javelina/Tamarak or 2500+ in my rifle loads and some handgun loads. I load all my lubed bullets with the lubed grooves inside the case on straight walled cases and inside the necks on bottle necked cases. I keep the loaded cartridges out of direct sunlight. I have never in the 12+ years I've lived here had any problems with the lube melting to contaminate the powder. I have never had any failure of the lube to do its job as in prevent leading. During the hot times ost of my shooting is in the early morning when the temps run 90 upwards of 115 degrees. I also will go in the mid late afternoons to the range when the firing lines are fully shaded and shoot in 110 +/- degrees. Again, never had had any problems with the lubes I am using.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I have never had an issue here in southern NM either. The bullet lube that sits in my garage does not even go out of round (2500+).

Like Larry, I do not leave my ammo in the direct sunlight on warm days and I do not leave a round in the chamber. Direct sun on barrel can heat it up a lot.

Boolit Master
    I always figured the rifles in sheathes was to keep the sand out in those old westerns. Makes sense to keep it out of the sun so you don't stick to the rifle while trying to focus/concentrate on your front sight.