MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowling pin shoot

Boolit Master

Bowling pin shoot

My club is holding bowling pin shoots. No lead bullets, no hollow points, and...get this...no 38 Specials. 9mm is OK, but not 38s. Why not? They don't have the kinetic energy to knock the pins over.
    OK, I'm not a ballistician, but does that make any sense?

Boolit Master
    Do you have to hold your gun sideways one handed?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe they don't want to damage the pins?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Most pin shooters I have known shoot around 200 PF. I have seen bowling pins spit target loads back at the shooter. GW

Boolit Master
    These are the same guys that told me I couldn't shoot a 9mm at the 200 yd berm because the bullets wouldn't reach.

Knocking over or cleaning the table? One of my clubs shoots pins. First Saturday of the month is rimfire only, third Saturday is run what you brung.

22 rimfire will knock them over, not necessarily take them off the table. That may be the concern, but I'd think a 38 Special would do as well as most 9mm's.

Is it a revolver thing? They don't believe you have enough rounds?

I've shot the club pin shoot with a pair of Ruger Vaquero's in 45 colt. One in my hand to start and one on the bench, loaded and ready to go.

Or is this more drama queen/fun police silliness?

Boolit Master
    They allow .357 Mag. revolvers.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure the restrictions on lead bullets or hollow points. Both make very effective pin loads. I have seen light bullet spin with the pins and come back and or bounce off, that plastic coating is tough.
    The pin load for my wifes ruger security 6 was the old 200 grn loading 200 grn cast at around 750-800 fps. with solid body hits it put the pins off the table with authority. Most 9mm loads took several hits especially on used pins that were no longer round. In 45 acp I shot my normal load 200 swc at around 850 fps. Revolver was 45 colt 255 fp in the 750-800 fps.

You’ve got to hit them in the white part to knock them OFF the table.
    The .45 auto with 200 SWC worked well, and no one used a 9mm back in the day around Texarkana for the shoots that we went to.
    Mr. Clark let us shoot some of his Pin Guns for fun- he was a nice man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battis,
    I PM'ed you a copy of the rules that we used at the club I belong to.

As far as the restrictions go, it sounds like someone thinks they can get an advantage.

It also sounds like you have some total idiots at the club you belong to.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

I can remeber the "side matches at second chance rifle shotgun sub machine guns. Then the auto revolver and team matches.

Boolit Master

I was at Second Chance in 1980. Wow for an experience Side matches were entertaining and fun. Food was fantastic GW

Boolit Master
    It also sounds like you have some total idiots at the club you belong to.

The IHMSA club I shoot at won't let me shoot my .22 LR at their Field Pistol targets. They say that the bullets will bounce back and hit me. But my .30-20 TC at same velocity (1100 fps) is perfectly acceptable. For the record, I've been hit many times with center-fire loads in the last 35 years, but never a .22 LR. Another club wasn't going to let me shoot my XP-100 in 7BR with 6 gr. WW231 and 140 gr. cast bullet. They told me that if the case isn't filled up that there will be a detonation, and you know, killing and maiming everyone in a 100 ft. radius.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Did pins off the table many many years ago. I used a Anaconda in 45lc that I loaded 292 gr 45-70 boolits sized down to 454. When I was 5 per 5or6 I was rockin but if any were left I would put my empty Colt down and draw a 625 Smith for those hard end shots. Not as easy as it looks. Fun shooting though.

Boolit Buddy
    38 mid-range wad cutters from a S&W Model 52 can absolutely fail to penetrate a Bowling pin and bounce right back at the shooter as a solid chunk of lead. Good thing it was in the winter and I had my heavy coat on when it whacked me in the gut and didn’t hit me in the tooth or something. I have the deformed bullet as a souvenir with my handguns as a reminder not to do that again.

Blanket ban on all 38 special aside, certain slow lead bullets can definitely be a hazard off blowing pins.

Back when, I used a couple Colts 1911 45's for pin matches. You had to knock them off the table to score and nobody used 9mm or 38's. My loads were standard loads with cast, never had one come back at me.

Boolit Master
    You can clear the table with a 9mm. I did it with 124gr EFMJ +P . Snotty 45 works better but 44 works best. Aim at the " waist line" of the pin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    These are the same guys that told me I couldn't shoot a 9mm at the 200 yd berm because the bullets wouldn't reach.
    OMG! Where did they hire these guys from the gun store?

I disagree...38's will be fine. We hold bowling pin shoots often, and I am the event organizer/RSO. I use a 22 and it works fine. There are a few cases, if you shoot the pin low enough that it may wobble and not fall over but that's not often and if you're any good at you aim (we shoot at 25 to 20 yards). 38 Wad cutters work just fne as well. We do request that shooters do not shoot magnums or hollow points as it does kind of limit the life of the pins (if you shoot a 257, use 38s, if you shoot a 44 Mag pistol use 44 Special, if you shoot a 454 Casul, use 45 Colt) , but they are made from Ash wood and are very hard and that thick plastic coating also absorbs a lot. We've held, so far about 20 events with no problems....infact sometimes the wind may blow them over before we get a chance to shoot them. We paint the one in the middle a different color and call it a "hostage shoot", you can't knock down the middle one or "GAME OVER" . We're having one this Saturday!

Boolit Master
    I really like the set-up of my club - it's in a nice location, close to my house, not many members (250 or so) but I stay away from the club events like the pin shoot, though it does look like alot of fun.