Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen door gun

Banned

Kitchen door gun

Gentlemen,

Just curious what rifle you keep behind the kitchen (or living room etc) door to handle misc chores.

This question probably applies more to rural dwellers than urban dwellers. Here in the country, we keep a rifle behind the kitchen door to dispatch vermin (and occassional big game) as well as defend the homestead. In a pinch, it could be pressed into service for most anything I'd ever have to shoot with a gun.

My current kitchen door gun is an M44 Russian 7.62X54R, with the bayonet lug cut off and put into a black synthetic sporter stock. It wears a nylon/neoprene sling and has an ammo holder on the buttstock. In the ammo holder, I keep 4 rounds of varmint ammo and 5 rounds of big game ammo. The varmint ammo is a handload with a Hornady (.312") 85gr XTP bullet at about 2,900 f.p.s. The big game load is some OLD Remington factory 150gr bronze points. Both loads shoot to a useable point of aim at reasonable ranges.

This is the gun that I am most likely to grab when I head out the front door. It is such a useful piece. About as handy as an M94 lever action 30/30, but with a bit more punch.

The most recent example of it's usefuness was yesterday. Me and my brother went to check our trail cams so we threw the M44 behind the seat of the truck. On the way to the camera, we came across a groundhog and my brother grabbed the rifle and dusted the hog at about 75 yards, with the open sights, using the varmint loads from the buttstock ammo holder.

This gun has been used many times in a similar role. It is one of my most used guns.

So, what do you use?

SSB

Boolit Master
    Model 39 .22 with 4x scope. Also have a Remington model 11 in 12 ga for larger varmints.

my farm gun

When I had my farm, I kept a 10/22 behind the door. Leaving the bolt open and the loaded mag in meant it was safe, could be easily be seen to be safe, but could be loaded in just a second. It was scoped and I kept a flashlight with it. I made many trips out to the poultry house on winter nights with it.
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

Banned

i kept a shotgun by the back door and a 22 by the kitchen door.
    i now keep a revolver in the basement and one on each floor seeing as how we live in the big city of 2,000 people.

When I lived in the country I kept a shotgun behind the kitchen door. Only grabbed it twice. Had a Bible salesman come by one day. I met him at the door and stood talking to him with the door open and him on the prorch. Very persistant fellow. I informed him that I had enough bibles in the house and couldn't see use for another as I didn't think God's word had changed. He still persisted but I dismissed him and started to close the door. He promptly wedged his foot in the jamb so I couldn't close it. I reached beside me and racked a round in as it came up. Next thing I know there's a purple VW micro bus with Jesus spray painted on the side pretending to be Big Daddy Don Garlits heading out my driveway. The other time was at 2:00 AM when a guy was pounding on my door wanting to use my phone as his car was broke down about 1/2 mile from my place. I didn't open the door but said if he'd give me a number I'd call for him. The door wasn't locked but did have a safety chain on it. He decided to open the door and was greeted by a 12 gauge pump about 4" from his nose. Damn fool was a drunk teenager. I knew his folks and called them and told them to come and get him. Also told them that he damn near died. They were pissed at me! People....... RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Master
    At 2 AM you should not have to decide friend or foe at the door.

MY Friends are smart enough to know that I'm a tad cranky when woke up at 2 AM! There also Smart enough to know that if it's a real deal I'm there for them in a heartbeat!

They also call!

AS to the back door gun? Hard to find use for one in LA but my BIL kept a real nice 177 Pellet rifle at his back door for Quail, Chucker, and Cottontail that wandered into the garden area!

I've had more than one tasty meal provided by that CABELLA's air rifle!

Boolit Master

Well - I guess I'm embarrassed. My back door gun is a Daisy 717 air pistol - I use it to de-populate the ground squirrels. We are sort of in a built-up desert area, so I seldom see anything larger than a javelina, and can't hunt 'em here in the yard.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

In Remembrance

A Lee-Enfield #4 with 7 rounds in the magazine of mil- ball. Have dispatched dropped dogs bothering my beef and dogs chasing deer. Threw a deliberate way off target shot to scare off gas thieves 1 night and only once produced it to discourage a persistent fool that wanted to call his brother on a sunday afternoon, he reeked of booze.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Ceiner suppressed Ruger 77/22 with 4X Leupold.
    I have two of those self-sealing swinging discs hanging just over 60 yards from the back door. When I have a spare minute or two, I grab that rifle and shoot a magazine for offhand practice.
    I find I'm more apt to practice if it takes little effort to do so. I can be done in a couple of minutes, hardly have to walk out of my way, and nobody is disturbed by it. That rifle gets shot more often than anything else just because it's too easy not to.

For uninvited guests at the door, I always have something on my side and usually something bigger close by.

Winchester model '97, 30" modified, loaded with OO buckshot.

Ruger 10/22 at the kitchen door, Weaver 2.5X scope, magazine on top of the freezer right beside it loaded with CCI Stingers. That's my cat gun. Oh, and a Mossberg 42B in the summer kitchen!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Banned

22 hornet ruger for the most part along with a 1911 for two legged visiters

Boolit Buddy
    Living in the country with animals requires keeping at least a 22 close by. My back door has a tactical 12 close by and a 1911 close to that. Front has a 1958 Mauser '06 close and a couple of handguns in the BOB, also close by. The definition of a gun nut is one who has one in every room but still carries incase he is attacked in the hallway-lol. Not quite that bad yet but trying to improve. wc

I do live in the country and my kitchen door gun is a Marlin 1895G. Figure that will handle anything that needs handled. It is 20 or 30 minutes response time for the sheriff, at best, so there are various firearms scattered around just in case.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Bub
    Like pdawg, I too, live in country and also keep 1895with Scout scope(old eyes) in -what else would you expect -45-70- for general purpose use.
    Will do the number on deer, coyote and other vermin.
    A High Standard Citation does the work on skunk, raccoon and smaller pests.
    I live by the adage that when seconds count my sheriffs response time is 12 to 15 minutes on a good day. God helps them who help themselves.

Gary

In Remebrance

Mines not by the back door, but there's an FR8 308, a Charter 44 Bulldog, a Star PD and a Savage 22/410 in reach.

12 guage Rem 870, Marlin 17 HMR close to the doors. 357 wheelgun within easy reach.

jar

Boolit Master

Got a revolver with Hps(Mod36) within reach, also a bolt action Glenfield shotgun with 3 round box withing reach. I also keep my doors locked ALL the time! Had a guy that tried to solicit some work from me once. He jiggled my front doorknob after knocking (dumb thing to do). I met him around the house at my other door. He told me he was interested in siding a new addition we had built. I told him no thanks. I had my hand in my pocket around my Kel Tec P3AT. I think he knew full well I had the gun too. I didn't try to hide it! Funny thing is he never came over again to ask about anything....EVER!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I keep a CZ 17HMR loaded & handy. No kids here and I keep several loaded guns around. The little 17 has dispatched many critters over the years. It's my squirrel hunting gun too. It's very accurate. With a good rest I can take a squirrel @ 100 yds with it easy. That is if there isn't a breeze blowing.
    I keep one of my bigger rifles loaded (257 Weatherby Mag) in the gun case for more serious work like Yodees in the pasture. For the two legged vermin, I always have a 38 Special in my pocket or it's resting on my night stand while I sleep.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Back door has a 22LR rifle and the wife's 20ga, barn has a 30/30. I need to put a 22 in the barn. Wife waste to much ammo shooting Coons, those little F'ers are fast