Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need a bit of 8MM help.

Boolit Bub

Need a bit of 8MM help.

I have a new (to me) Yugoslavian M24/47 rifle. I have throughly cleaned and removed all of the cosmoline and cleaned the bore. The gun shoots surplus ammo pretty well, no real target work done just hitting what I aim at out to about 100 yards. I used a fishing weight and slugged the bore at 0.3253. It would seem that at this rifles velocity a gas check is needed..??... I would jump to the conclusion here that I need to make a cast of my chamber to determine the largest pill I can chamber. If my bore slugs at .3253 what size gas check do I need? Am I looking at a custom mold, or just some lapping of a stock mold? Any help, advise, or just your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Try the Lee Maximum,mine shoots it well with every powder I've tried. Pat

Boolit Master
    OK, first I am going to put in a shameless plug for this group buy right here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=88897

It is a 215 gr pointed nose bullet that comes with a gas check base (you can get it ithout if you want). the nice part is it should drop realy close to 0.326" which means you should be able to shoot it with good results with only minimal sizing (enough to seat the gas check). You use standard or homemade 8mm gas checks, the soft copper of factory checks will be formed onto the slightly oversize projectile when you seat them.

I suggest the group buy mold for 3 reasons:

1. All indications point to the NOE molds as being or supurb quality.
    2. With the available options you can get 3 molds in one, pointed, HP and FP.
    3. We need one more to make the minimum number to start machining in January

second, I don't know if you need to make a casting of the chamber, or just see if someone will send you a couple of oversize 8mm boolits to load up and try. Folks on the Boolit exchange forum here are great and will gladly help a guy out if they can.

Remember, don't be scared of the 215 gr projectile. Even with a gas check, lead won't push quite as fast as jacketed projectiles, so shooting a heavier boolit makes since.

Boolit Master
    With the group buy mold how well do you think the PB will shoot?,not using checks sounds the go with plinker loads.You might talk me into a triple cav. Pat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by iammarkjones View Post
    I have a new (to me) Yugoslavian M24/47 rifle.I used a fishing weight and slugged the bore at 0.3253. It would seem that at this rifles velocity a gas check is needed..??... I would jump to the conclusion here that I need to make a cast of my chamber to determine the largest pill I can chamber. If my bore slugs at .3253 what size gas check do I need? Am I looking at a custom mold, or just some lapping of a stock mold? Any help, advise, or just your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    32/8MM gas checks when you run the checked boolit thru the sizer it will crimp and size the GC at the same time.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Man
    hi mark,

my 8mm turk mauser really likes lee's 205 gr designed for the 8x56r, tumble-lubed and gas-checked with hornady's 8mm check, then sized .325" over 17gr of alliant 2400. velocities are about 1800fps and iron-sighted groups of 3-4" at 100 yds.

budman

stupidity is its own reward

Banned

you'll need 8mm GC's.

If you can get a .327 dia boolit that would be a great place to start. .326 would be the next best.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    The Lee Maximum and Karabiner "special order" molds available at Midsouth should cast large enough, but will both be large in nose diameter and heavy. These will be easier to deal with if your rifle has significant wear in the throat. I like the Maximum and mine casts roughly .327" on the driving bands, .323" on the nose, and 250gr. My old Turk has a bit of wear, but shoots OK.

The NOE 326407 in the 185gr weight should work just fine. Mine casts .326"x313" and 190gr. Its a Loverin design with first couple of bands smaller than the rear bands, and doesn't require seating as deeply.

I got lucky with my Lyman .325" die as the bullets come out closer to .3265".

In Remebrance

I would very strongly suggest a GC mould, used with GC's. The Karibiner is a favorite of mine. Don't even bother making a chamber cast. Just mike the inside diameter of a fired case from a full powered load. That will give you the max diameter you can hope to use. Chances are it will be very close to the diameter you end up using.

BTW- don't bother shooting pills. They're expensive, their sectional density and ballistic coefficient stink, and they don't size worth a hoot.

damron g
    Quote Originally Posted by budman46 View Post
    hi mark,

my 8mm turk mauser really likes lee's 205 gr designed for the 8x56r, tumble-lubed and gas-checked with hornady's 8mm check, then sized .325" over 17gr of alliant 2400. velocities are about 1800fps and iron-sighted groups of 3-4" at 100 yds.

budman
    I use the exact load it two Turks and can vouch for the load.

george

Boolit Grand Master

I would suggest a standard Lyman 323470. I size to .325 and it shoots great at 1800 - 1950 fps in every 8mm I've shot it in (quite a few), even some with larger groove depths. Mine are mostly cast of WWs +2% tin and drop at .326 from the mould. The Lovern design makes for a perfect fit in the usually long throats with the GC seated to base of the case neck.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I'm ordering one of the group buy molds with a plain base,I want a cheap plinker so don't want to bother with checks,my rifle shoots the Lyman 323366 into and inch at 50 over 16grns of 2400.Will a plain base boolit at 1200-1400fps equal a GC boolit at it's ideal velocity or do the checks shoot better all over?.I already have the maximum so thats why I'm going PB. Pat

damron g
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    I'm ordering one of the group buy molds with a plain base,I want a cheap plinker so don't want to bother with checks,my rifle shoots the Lyman 323366 into and inch at 50 over 16grns of 2400.Will a plain base boolit at 1200-1400fps equal a GC boolit at it's ideal velocity or do the checks shoot better all over?.I already have the maximum so thats why I'm going PB. Pat
    the only PB i shoot in the 8x57 is the Ideal 32359,RCBS 8mmNambu and the RCBS 310 Cadet as a heeled bullet.All three shoot about 2 MOA with irons at 1200 and that's been enough to me or light bullet plinking.In the 30-06 i have tried to compete with PB bullets this last year and i cant get the consistency as I'd like.At times I'm competitive,but not all the time.At the 2010 CBA Nationals i did win the 5 shot group Agg @ 200 with a PB bullet but that was just luck i think.The SAECO #315 with out GC shoots as well as real" PB bullets in most of my rifles BTW.In the 7.62 x 54 i use the the NEI #72 155 as a plainbase and with GC. With a GC is shoots about 1/2 MOA better to 200.I don't use the GC most of the time as the accuracy gain isn't worth the cost of the GC.
    I shot the 323366 at 100 with the same 2400 load a week ago.It shot about 3-1/2" and was trying to cluster.Sounds like you got it shoot pretty well.Ill have to give it another try.

George

Boolit Master
    Mine only started to group after I lapped it from .322 to .324 and loaded it into the lands. Pat

damron g
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    Mine only started to group after I lapped it from .322 to .324 and loaded it into the lands. Pat
    mine casts .324,i got lucky.

George

Boolit Master
    Funny enough,the 323366 Isn't a popular mold as it's known to be inaccurate but my turk really goes for it.I bought it for nothing,like $20 but one went on ebay last week or so for big dollars,allot of bidding has gone on molds of late,crazy money for some. Pat