RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: A question on Mosins...

Boolit Master

A question on Mosins...

Ok, so I've had this mosin for quite a while now. And while I've got about 4k of surplus ammo for it and its brothers, I've decided I'm going to start loading for it. Got dies, a 312-185 Lee mold for it it, and a fair supply of powder, though I'm still awaiting brass.

However, one thing I've never messed around with buying was anything to properly measure bore diameter. I've never really slugged a barrel, and don't even have any of the soft lead boolits to slug it with. I know, heracy...

I've always gone to the standard "size to" size, and then worked from there with outstanding results in pistol calibers. And this is what I plan on doing with this rifle. Now that said, what do you who load for this war horse find as the go to size? .311? .312?
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

I think they can be all over the place up to .318.....

Doug

Boolit Master

Get some lead sinkers or some soft lead from one of the members here (I can't remember who helped me out when I started slugging barrels but I *think* it was Mooman...) and drive them down the barrel and out the other end. A lot of guys don't use wood dowels -- with good reason as they can be a real pain when they break off and wedge in the barrel I guess but I've never managed to do that ................................yet............... ........

It SOUNDS like a pain but it's not at all and will tell you exactly what to size to. Then if you need a "special" size die, Buckshot here can make you that for a REALLY reasonable price.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    It's not a matter of not knowing how or having soft lead. I have about 200lbs I'm hoarding. I just don't have any cast up and don't really want to change alloys in my pot. The biggest issue is I've never bought 'accurate' measuring equipment. At least nothing that's going to do better then .01 without guessimation.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master

Thing about MN's is they vary a lot in groove diameter. Best thing I've always done is just mic the inside diameter of several fired cases (brass milsurp are best) and average those. Use that for the size of the case bullet. Works for me as the MNs can have a very large diameter throat also. I just size the bullets to as large as the case neck will hold and chamber.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

As Larry said, size your boolits to fit the throat, not the bore. You will have better accuracy.
    Next, if you do slug the bore, make sure you clean it real good ahead of time, and put a light
    coat of oil before you drive the slug. With the 7.62x54 bore, you can use one of the large
    lead splitshot for fishing. Measure with at least a set of calipers to .001.
    Jack

Boolit Master

jd, you can cast a few using just an old spoon and a propane torch to melt the lead. Just heat up enough lead to do one boolit at a time. They don't even need to be perfect, a warm mold helps though for good fillout. If they're too small, stand them up and mash them down a bit to fatten them up...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master
    You can get calipers for about $20.00 .
    Thers not a go to size in a mill gun. They are just not that consistant.
    A little time setting up right will save LOTS AND LOTS of time and trouble latter.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I've used round balls for muzzleloaders when nothing else was available; lay them on the back of your vise and flatten them out enough to start down the bore with a hammer. Not the best method, but it works in a pinch.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I have found that loading for Mosins is easy. Just seat the biggest boolit that will still allow you to easily close the bolt on a loaded round and you're in business. In my case that is .315". I can't close it on a round with a .317" boolit in it. With the long funnel throat the size doesn't seem to matter at all as long as it's big enough. I have also found in poor condition bores where normal loads won't shoot, that loads with slow powders topped with cream 'o' wheat will allow for good accuracy and no leading.

Boolit Master

Good Advice!

Boolit Grand Master

You would be lucky to have a rifle that measures 311 or 312. Most of them seem to measure larger. More like 313/4 or even larger is not unheard of all the way up to round 318. You can melt some lead like said here in a spoon or ladle. Drill a hole (slightly larger than your barrel) in an oak or good solid piece of wood and use it as a mould. It doesn't have to look pretty. It will take the shape of your barrel anyway.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Those boooooolits got a hole in um.

Boolit Master
    That hole is for sound effects!!!

SCREAMERS!!!

(really, they are what Beartooth Bullets recommends for slugging the internals of one's fire pole)

Three 44s

Boolit Master

I have 3....All measure different.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

Both of mine are about .315. Nobade's advice is sound, as is Larry's! Lots of practical advise on this forum based on experiance, common sense, and occaisionally logic.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar
    with the russians its a ??? what you will get.imho the war year guns tend to run larger as they were getting them out as fast as they could.my best russian shooters have hex recievers ymmv.I now size .314 for all my russians and they shoot good.
    that said thats not the case finn mosin nagants.
    my 28/30 I size .309 and the same with my M28 sig.I shoot .311 in my M39's and M27 tikka.