WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 358429 COL question

Boolit Master

358429 COL question

I am loading these for my 357 mag, S&W M66, 6" barrel.

I am working up a load using CCI sp and Alliant 2400.
    I wound up with a 1.622 COL but the crimp appears to be on top of the shoulder of the boolit slightly and not in that first crimp groove. These are R-P brass.
    I have loaded these before and don't remember the crimp being like that.

Is the boolit seated too far down or is this from some other issue?
    Will they be OK to fire as is or is there a pressure risk from being seated that way?
    Pictures of these reloaded here on other subforums show more of the boolit exposed above the case mouth than mine are I am sure.
    Thanks for the help. Will post a picture later.

Joe

Boolit Master
    Yes, one needs to be concerned w/ the pressure if you load the 358429 "deep"...you have to in a S & W as you cannot crimp in the crimong groove as the bullet would be too long. I have trimmed some .357 Mag brass just enough so that I can crimp in the crimp groove with this bullet used in my model 27...I reduce a maximum powder chg a few grains to compensate for the shoter case. Ditto if you use the 358311 as well.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    My Ruger Security 6's and NMBH as well as all my Colt 357's can take the round with 358429 crimped in the crimp groove. My S&W 65 and 66 have to be crimped over the front driving band. Just the way it is with that bullet and S&W.
    On the 358311 I have to do it the same way in a 357 case, just as stated by Wally.

Joe, Brian Pearce (Handloader mag.) recommends trimming .357mag. brass to 1.25" when using that CB so you can then crimp it in the proper place. However, I'd try trimming it to 1.26" and see whether you can crimp -429 normally, as the brass does get shorter over time.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I recall crimping mine in the crimp groove for the two M-19 Smiths I had. This also works for the Ruger Security Six. The Smiths that WON'T take the 358429 crimped in the groove are the N-frame versions, M-27 and M-28. I always crimped them INTO the front driving band for those model Smiths, so as to leave some of the band exposed to help the boolit center in the chamber mouth, as Keith intended. Crimping into the crimp groove also works with the Smith 586 and 686. Since it works in the M-19, I'm curious as to why it doesn't work in the M-65 and M-66, which should be stainless steel versions of the M-19. Maybe my memory is faulty and I had to load them shorter for the M-19. It's been too long.

As to pressures and seating depths, as others have told you, yes, it does matter. If you loaded max loads and seated the boolits so you could crimp over the shoulder, you will have really hot loads. It's better to disassemble them and start over than to shoot them.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master

The Lyman cast bullet handbook lists all it's loading for the 358429 with an OAL of 1.553 which is crimped over the front driving band. Their max 2400 load is 13.5 grs of 2400 @41100 cup. and if you are under 13.5 grs I would not worry about it.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    My 66 is a -5; 1999, cylinder is just short enough to not accept the 429 in the crimp groove.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I have loaded the 358429 before using Unique for mid range loads and crimped in the crimp groove so I know that COL fits my gun. I am just wondering why this lot of reloads regardless of powder crimped on the drive band a little ways? Maybe different length in the cases or I set up the seating die differently slightly?

"The Lyman cast bullet handbook lists all it's loading for the 358429 with an OAL of 1.553 which is crimped over the front driving band. Their max 2400 load is 13.5 grs of 2400 @41100 cup. and if you are under 13.5 grs I would not worry about it. "

Since mine are 1.622 and my max load of 2400 is 13.0 I am below the Lyman book max pressure I would think, is that a good assumption? In that case these would be OK to shoot as is.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

358429 usually fits fine in K frame guns. I have one that I have used it in. It is very
    close to the end of the cylinder, but works fine. I use it more in my 586 +1 and
    Sec Six. Of course, it works great in .38 Spl K-frames - I use it in several of them.

If yours does not, it may be a non-standard variation, which Lyman - unfortunately - has
    drifted to from time to time. I'd try seating it as deeply as possible within the normal crimp
    groove.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Just don't load it too hot! They aren't makin' those barrels for K-Frame magnums anymore, and when that forcing cone goes, it's done!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jal5 View Post
    Since mine are 1.622 and my max load of 2400 is 13.0 I am below the Lyman book max pressure I would think, is that a good assumption? In that case these would be OK to shoot as is.

Joe
    I would not have a problem shooting them. I load 358429 to 1.638 oal taper crimped on the front drive band with 13.5/2400 in my Ruger gp100.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master
    Mtn Gun 44 nailed it--not all Lyman #358429s are created equally. My own current mould casts at 163 grains, has a short base band, and its front band is longer than the rear one. I haven't tried these in 357 loads in my Model 19 x 2.5" yet, don't know if they'll fit. They do fine in the 686 x 4", though. The cylinder in the 19 is slightly longer than that in my pre-27 N-frame, which seems kinda lame--given their respective strength ratings. The L-frame/686 cylinder is longer than both.

S&W finally got all their 357 Magnum ducks in a row with the L-frame. It only took them from 1935 to 1980 to accomplish that. Meanwhile, Colt and Ruger didn't have these sorts of brain farts. To conclude, both Lyman and S&W have poetic ideas about the 357 Magnum and bullet/cylinder dimensioning criteria.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Al;
    >>>-not all Lyman #358429s are created equally<<<

I consider this almost CRIMINAL on Lyman's part. All loading data is based on a particular seating depth and their cavalier treatment of their OWN bullet designs makes a lot of their pressure data near worthless. There is NO reason to do this other than pure lack of responsibility. It is only because of the strength of most American firearms that has prevented any number of blown up handguns to result from this.

The caution that we all read from time to time is, "Be careful, and work up any new load in the firearm before using" is not much help when used in revolvers. Generally, by the time any pressure signs show up you will be WAY above allowable pressures for most revolvers. This IS a fact.

The only guns that "working up loads" have much validity for are bolt action center fires. In those, you can go a bit "too far" find sticking cases and flattened primers before exceeding yield limits. That is vehemently NOT SO with most revolvers.

Rant Off.
    Be careful people, Murphy lies in wait for the unwary...

Dale53

Boolit Master

My 359429 won't work in my GP100 crimped in the crimp groove.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, I will try them and let you know how it goes.

Joe

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    My 359429 won't work in my GP100 crimped in the crimp groove.
    That was my reasoning for the use of taper crimp on the front band in my GP. It lets me seat the bullet out of the case as intended and I get no bullet movement from recoil. If I didn't have a taper crimp die I would just do a very light roll crimp, just enough to get rid of the bell in the case with the normal roll crimp die.

Boolit Grand Master
    FIt the Security Six. A fine boolit. Nothing fater than mid-range loads for me.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I am working a load with 4227 and the 359429 and my 66-6 4 inch. I had the same issue and I trimmed my cases back just to where they would crimp in the groove. This moved my shoulder back to where it would just kiss the throat of the chamber. By water volume measurement, the loss of .004 of case length netted me around -.3gr. I reduced my max charges by .2gr each. I am just guessing this to be correct. I do not have any load software to prove my theories. Since my only 357 is the 66-6, I am not worried about mixing cases with another weapon, and even if I did, i have reduced my charges accordingly. just my procedure.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jal5 View Post
    Thanks guys. I have loaded the 358429 before using Unique for mid range loads and crimped in the crimp groove so I know that COL fits my gun. I am just wondering why this lot of reloads regardless of powder crimped on the drive band a little ways? Maybe different length in the cases or I set up the seating die differently slightly?

Joe
    Joe, if you have changed nothing, I suspect that the seating die is possibly clogged up a little w/lube, causing the boolits to be somewhat deeper seated. Have you checked?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Al & Dale:

Although LYMAN has been VERY bad about changing the 358429 they have been even WORSE with the 454424 ! All of the bullets in the photo are IDEAL/LYMAN 454424 except the one on the right and left ends. The right end is CAT's 454424 Group Buy and the left is a LYMAN 452424.

WHY ?

Jerry

S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator