Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 358429 COL question

Boolit Grand Master
    Very good point, Dale. I don't mind the need to take responsibility and "ownership" of whatever combination I load in any firearm. We all can benefit from such caution and conservatism at the loading bench.

It IS irresponsible of Lyman to produce such egregious variations in many of their mould designs, and to presume upon the safety margins built into firearms we use. Again, if we are to go about reloading and casting safely and responsibly, we owe it to the hobby field (and to ourselves!) to go slowly and deliberately while working up our loads to suit a given arm.

I don't LIKE Lyman's tendencies in this venue, but understand them and accept them as one of the costs of doing business. I think we should bring attention to these quirks so that newer casters and reloaders are better informed and can derive safer loads from Lyman moulds.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Joe, if you have changed nothing, I suspect that the seating die is possibly clogged up a little w/lube, causing the boolits to be somewhat deeper seated. Have you checked?
    thanks I will check that out I hadn't thought of that possibility.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jal5 View Post
    Thanks guys. I have loaded the 358429 before using Unique for mid range loads and crimped in the crimp groove so I know that COL fits my gun. I am just wondering why this lot of reloads regardless of powder crimped on the drive band a little ways? Maybe different length in the cases or I set up the seating die differently slightly?

"The Lyman cast bullet handbook lists all it's loading for the 358429 with an OAL of 1.553 which is crimped over the front driving band. Their max 2400 load is 13.5 grs of 2400 @41100 cup. and if you are under 13.5 grs I would not worry about it. "

Since mine are 1.622 and my max load of 2400 is 13.0 I am below the Lyman book max pressure I would think, is that a good assumption? In that case these would be OK to shoot as is.

Joe
    Quick Load gives the pressure of that load at 44,015 PSI, and the velocity at 1280FPS from a 4" barrel. I input 13.0 grs. of 2400 at a COL of 1.622. The SAMMI pressure max for the .357 is 35,000 PSI. They show 34,335 PSI, and 1166 FPS with 12.0 grains of 2400, and I would consider that the MAXIMUM with your boolit, and COL. Dropping the load to 11.5 grains only shows a velocity loss of about 50 FPS, but the pressure is better at 30,282 PSI. Hope this helps. I can't be responsible for Quickload data, but I do use it as a guide line myself.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for that Quickload data. Based on that I will reconsider the MAX load for that COL. I may start from scratch and reload using a longer COL. Better to be safe than sorry.

Joe

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar
    no problems with the 357 redhawk

Boolit Master

I got my 358429 mould before I heard about this OAL dilemma. Not knowing any better I just crimped my 357 brass in the groove provided and went on my merry way. Loaded this way,I don't have any problem shooting them in a Ruger Blackhawk or a S & W Model 66.

fwiw
    My Lyman manual lists 2 different over all lengths for this bullet loaded in 357 Mag.
    One in the "Handgun" section and one in the "TC Contender" section.
    Both sections have the exact same start and max powder charge data.

Boolit Master
    The real issue here is not whether they will fit the M66 it is whether the pressure will be too much given the fact that they are set deeper in the case. From the picture, the bigger one fits and fires fine in my gun, its the shorter one with the deeper set boolit that I am concerned about. Top one in the pic is crimped in the groove the bottom one is not. The top one is loaded with Unique but that is not the real issue here it is just for comparison purpose on the length.
    Last edited by Jal5; 10-02-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    I got my 358429 mould before I heard about this OAL dilemma. Not knowing any better I just crimped my 357 brass in the groove provided and went on my merry way. Loaded this way,I don't have any problem shooting them in a Ruger Blackhawk or a S & W Model 66.

fwiw
    My Lyman manual lists 2 different over all lengths for this bullet loaded in 357 Mag.
    One in the "Handgun" section and one in the "TC Contender" section.
    Both sections have the exact same start and max powder charge data.
    Beerd do you mind listing those over all lengths here?

Boolit Master

per Lyman Reloading Handbook #49
    .357 Magnum & 358429 bullet:
    Handgun - page 359 1.553" OAL
    Contender - page 434 1.647" OAL
    Last edited by Beerd; 11-20-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    The 358429 was the first Lyman SWC I cast and loaded and it worked well in three Mod. 10's (two four inch and a six inch) two Mod. 14's and a Mod 19 (six inch). I picked up a four cavity 358429 and a four cavity 358311 38-158-RNPB at a flea market for the outrageous price of $10.00 each which included handles without wood. This was almost 40 years ago!

The 358429 dropped at 168 grains with my alloy.

Then I bought my first Mod. 28 and got a shock when the cylinder wouldn't close with ammo that worked fine in my mod. 19. When I complained to my shooting shooting buddy that I thought I had a defective pistol, he sez "No dummy, the N frame has a shorter clyinder than the K frame mod. 19, what rock you been hiding under". Just crimp on the front driving band. This worked fine as I was a plinker and did not hot rod the .357 and 90% of the rounds loaded with the 358429 were 38 Specials.

The 358429 was designed for the 38 Special, not the 357. I actually acquired an H&G ten cavity mould in a trade for the H&G version of this boolit.
    How's that hope and change working for you?