Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 colt rifles?

45 colt rifles?

I am looking to buy a 45 colt rifle And was wonting to know the pros and cons on lever action vs pump action.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    If primarily a hunter, then the one which feels best. If most shots out of the gun will be target stuff, then pick the one which has the best bolt lock-up for the best potential accuracy out of the box. The best bolt lock-up has the locking lugs right next to the tail of the chamber. Savage 99 and the Browning lever guns have bolt locking mechanisms at the chamber and will therefore take high pressure loads, which are sometimes required for the most accuracy from the gun. The other lever guns must be downloaded from there quite considerably. The pump gun I know about is the Remington 760, long out of production. It has front locking lugs and will take bolt action loads all day long. In 45 Colt, you will be limited to the guns available, which are not many that I know of. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Marlin 1894 cowboy with the 24 inch barrel. I love that thing. Shoots well with numerous loads. Light to carry for hunting. I have shot a couple of pigs and a couple deer with it. It is also one of my favorite plinkers.
    I have no experience with a pump in this caliber. I just like the feel of the lever action.

Boolit Master

I shoot a special run 1894S, 16 1/4" ported barrel. My interest in my firearms are strickly as a hunting arm and it serves that purpose very well. I've been shooting a 290-grain cast bullet of my design.

Michael

Moderator Emeritus

I own an 1894CB in .45 Colt and it's deadly accurate. I've also shot the Taurus replica of the Colt Lighting in .45 Colt, but didn't care for it. I own the stainless steel version of the Taurus replica in .357 Magnum and pretty much consider it a waste of my money. It will be sold one of these days.

Between the Lightning and the Marlin 1894CB there is no comparison. The Marlin is hands down the better choice.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    I have several rifles all lever actions in 45 Colt. My favorite one is a Rossi Puma stainless carbine that I have had for around 15 years. I have hunted with it and use it for cowboy action shooting as well. My next favorite is a Marlin 94 with a 20 inch barrel. It shoots great and works well but is heavier than the Rossi.

Quote Originally Posted by tcrocker View Post
    I am looking to buy a 45 colt rifle And was wonting to know the pros and cons on lever action vs pump action.
    Well it all depends on what you want to do with it that will be the main factor in your choice. The lighting pumps are built like the pre 92 leavers and can not handle any thing more then the stock 45LC load.

Now if you have a pistol that can fire medium 45LC loads, I would look at the model 92's/94's that are out there, like the Rossi R92. For the price, it is a really nice leaver. I have over 1500 rounds through the one I bought this past spring, and it's holding up really well for the abuse I put it through.

I just got a Redhawk in 45 Colt and was plaining on loading it with Lee 300gr flat nose. As best I can tell they do better the faster you push them. So I was needing a rifle that I can shoot the same load in. I realy didn't like the looks of the pump in the frist place but wonted some input on it. I am leaning to the Puma 92 with the case harden receiver oct barre and the steel nose cap. I seen where Winchester is offering the 92 take down trapper now and CDNN has them for $999 a little high for me. I think it would go for around 5 to 7 rainge for what it is.

My 1894 CB would digest "Ruger" loads with no problem, and I shot quite a few of the Lee 310 RFN boolits through it. I don't remember which crimp groove I used but I believe it was the one that provides the longest OAL since I was using the same loads in a Blackhawk. Not much difference between that, and a 45-70 with factory loads. I used Speer heavy loads of H-110, and got good accuracy out to 75 yards with both guns. After that I got some tipping from the revolver, and once in a great while with the rifle.

The lever .45's will safely fire any commercial load; the .45 pumps are cloned from a weak design, and should only be fired with lower-powered "Cowboy" loads.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy

I have a Win. 94AE Trapper and a Uberti Henry, both are accurate and fun to shoot. Buy whatever feels comfortable, never liked a pump action but thats just my opinion.

buffalohunter

In Remembrance

Felix

You need to look at the Savage 99 again. Bolt locks at the top rear of the bolt.
    The tarus pump 45 colt caliber is a fine rifle if you want to limit yourself to very short nosed boolits. I didn't like mine cause the bolt seemed to bind at the rear because of the hammer pressure pushing up on it. Might be able to fix that.
    In my opinion a Rossi is the only choice for a 45 Colt caliber handy, inexpensive, effective. short range hunting rifle.
    Of course there are single shots and the Ruger semi auto .44 only works with near to maximum loads.
    I would suggest to a new buyer to try to find a seller of a potential gun that would let him shoot it before he made a decision to buy.
    Personally I like the .357 and .44 magnum leverguns.

Life is good

Boolit Buddy

Buffalo Classic 45 LC

Don't forget the H&R Buffalo Classic in 45 Colt. Fun little gun. CDNN has them for $229. Stong, simple and accurate.

Bill

Boolit Master

I have a win 94 Trapper in 45Colt that I bought 10 years ago. It's accounted for lots of deer and hogs. I shoot 250 gr swc's and 300 grain LEE RNFP's over 18.5 grains of 2400 for hunting, and over 6.5 grains of Red Dot for fun.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    I have both the Rossi Puma in .45 Colt and a Taurus Thunderbolt Pump in .45 Colt. I like both of them. The Thunderbolt is a real blast to shoot, it is quick and fun, but it can only handle standard .45 Colt loads and you have to watch your OAL closely. The max OAL for the Thunderbolt is 1.6", and anything longer will not feed. The Rossi is accurate and can handle hot loads without a problem. I have a 16" barrel on my Rossi and it is easy to carry, so I carry it frequently.

If you think you will ever want to use a scope on your rifle, the Marlin 1894 is the way to go.

Gary

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    tc, mind saying what kind of shooting you would be doing with either a 45 Lever or Pump? Means a lot. I several 45's, lever and pump. Each can do different types of shooting.
    For instance:
    * 60 Henry, I use it for Lever Action Silhouette and 100-300 yd matches. Here's what it will do @ 500 meters when I was 1st setting up the sights:

* '66 Yellow Boy is a good 200 - 300 yd rifle
    * '76 Winchester will also shoot accurately out to 500 meters with the proper load recipe. Here's what it will do @ 100:

* '92 Rossi with a 24" barrel is also a good 200-300yd rifle
    As for the pumps, they are a fun gun if you get them working correctly and know how to work a pump. There is a difference. Have the Taurus, it's 'unbuggered' and have shot it out to 200yds off the bench

I don't hunt with any of them but a 250 or 300gr bullet will produce

If it was me, I'd go with the 24" Rossi if 200 and under is your game. It's reasonably priced, good bore and accurate with a peep sight. Mine is vintage 2003, 10,000+ original powder rounds through it, not one broken part and disassembled twice only for cleaning
    Regards
    John

Banned

That looks familiar! Shoots like a champ, too. It wouldn't be my first choice for hunting pigs in close quarters due to the long barrel and external magazine follower, but still a fine gun today.

The little NEF Buffalo Classic is another winner, quick, fast and accurate. Easy to mount optics to also. I don't think there is much concern with action strength, since the same gun is offered in .270 Win and .500 S&W Magnum among many others. I've played around with 340-grain boolits some, the throat is very long and can take heavy boolits without reducing case capacity.

Gear

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&R 003.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	28215

I bought one to go with the ruger bisley 45 colt.cdnn had them on sale for $229.00 the wood is very nice and a good shooter.its built on the same frame as the 45/70 buffalo classic.ruger only loads no problem.
    pete

John Boy I'm going to use it hunting hogs and deer in close heavly wooded areas with lots of under growth.

Banned

If that's the case, I'd stick with the brute reliability and handyness of the Marlin lever actions. If you're hunting piggies in the brush a repeater is a must.

Hey Pete, that little rifle sure looks familiar! Are you at Fort Hood? My has deep roots at "the Mound" just north of the reservation, some lived there since before WWI, many members still there or in Gatesville.

Gear