RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying lead in my 357 and 45.

Boolit Bub

Trying lead in my 357 and 45.

I tried shooting lead bullets years ago and it took me days to clean the mess out of my revolvers. With the price of jacketed bullets I've decided to try again.

I've already picked up some Penn premium 158gr TCs sized .358 for the 357 and 255gr RNFPs sized .452 for my 45Colt and ACP revolvers.

The bullets are a slip fit in the cylinder throats on the guns I plan to use. Any recommendations for loads that wouldn't lead in these three calibers would be greatly appreciated.

I already tried 14.5grs of 296 behind the 158gr bullet in my Ruger GP-100 and was overjoyed to find no leading in the throats or forcing cone but bummed to find leading from about halfway down the barrel to the muzzle. Primers were flat and the load shot so so.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If they are slip fit, they are most likely too small, and will once again lead your barrel. You should need a bit of force to pass them through your cylinder. You most likely need at least .359+, and .453+. That's the problem with buying commercial boolits. They don't fit. That is what caused you leading

Welcome aboard, we will get you up to speed , and having a clean shooting handgun.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Welcome to the forum. You might try 5.1 grns of HP-38 with the 158 357 magnum. It works great with a 158 SWC, don't know why it wouldn't work for a 158 TC.

I haven't had much success with .358 bullets in my 357, it really likes .360 diameter much better. I didn't get leading with the .358 with this load but it wasn't that accurate past 15 yards, but that's true of all the loads with 358 bullets.

Can't help with the 45's.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 11-19-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you want to shoot smaller than throat sized bullets, you are best off developing your own loads. Everything is different for you because your dies are different, your brass is different and on and on.

Developing your own loads means starting way low and coming up. Regardless of hardness, you will come up dirty and then all of a sudden the next charge level will clean up. That is because you sealed before you blew off your lube. Everybody worries about gas cutting, but your lube went long before that had a chance to happen. As you go on up you will be OK up until you get to the top end and either use up the lube too fast or just exceed it's ability to prevent galling.

If your throats are too big, or your dies don't have good case neck tension, or the bullets are too hard, you may have trouble establishing a seal anywhere. (important to understand to know how to adjust)

"Your" working window with "that" gun is between those two points. If you do that with a mid range speed powder, then you can guestimate for faster and slower powders fairly well.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

I'm A Honcho!
    Ok, just to let you know, youre already doing it wrong by going out and buying bullets that "slip" fit.

First, any plain base lead bullet you shoot has to "seal" your cylinder throat. Thus, its best to shoot the biggest bullet that will fit. In order to do that, you MUST know the size of your cylinder throat. If you shoot anything too small to seal your throat, you will lose your lubricant as stated above and welcome to lead city.

Now, how big is your cylinder throat, or throats. Well, dont bother to measure them with calipers. You need a inside micrometer, pin guages, or an oversize slug you can drive thru and measure with a micrometer. If you dont have any of those things I highly recommend you pull the cylinder off the gun and send it to someone who can set your throats to the proper size they need to be. I recommend Alan Harton or Dave Clements.

Now, you have your cylinder back from the smith and youre damn sure your throats are say .4525 which would would indicate you need a .453 bullet to get your throat sealed properly.
    So, you run out and buy an box of bullets sized .453 and go shooting right? WRONG!!! You have to make sure the bullets you get actually ARE .453 and not some other smaller diameter. If they are .454 or whatever thats fine if they will fit in your cylinder but they cant be smaller than the dia of your throat. Dont go by what the box says. MEASURE. Use a micrometer.

So now, you got a proper cylinder throat diameter and you are shooting proper size bullets and still getting leading. What you have done to this point is narrowed the leading issue to your barrel. You either have a restriction in the barrel or a rough bore. I dont give a red rats ass who made that barrel. How do I know this? Because I probably own more custom guns with custom barrels than most people. I have seen douglas, shilen, pac nor, Freedom Arms, and most especailly stock ruger barrels with all kinds of restriction at the threads, or in the middle or you name it.

From this point, you have to decide to either firelap or replace the barrel. Personally I firelap first. I have never hurt a barrel firelapping. As a matter of fact, I am firelapping a Freedom Arms 97 45 this week and a custom 500 Linebaugh next week.

Get back to me and let me know what you work out.

When buying cast bullets determining what works and working up loads for you gun is important. However, I think though that advice as to what works for others can be very helpful to someone trying out lead. With that said let me add to my prior post about diameter.

If you are looking to shoot accurate target loads in the 357, buying soft swaged bullets can work really well. The Speer, Hornady, or bullets from folks like Magnus are excellent. Working up loads that work well in our gun is easy and they can be very accurate.

That's a practical suggestion on what might work well for you.

If you are looking for max velocity, max pressure full house rounds that's different.

You can control what you buy, the OAL and the powder/type/charge. Working with those items (for accuracy) go swaged, try some longer OAL's and work from there. The 5.1 HP-38 for the 158 can get you into the ballpark quickly and does work in many guns.

Going down the path of measuring etc is great if that's what you want to do and is helpful if you plan to cast. If you are looking to just buy some bullets, keep it simple and get some results this will work very well.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 11-20-2010 at 11:03 AM.

I'm A Honcho!
    prgallo is correct and that may work well for you. I shoot a swaged 125 grain .358 diameter bullet on 5 grains of 231 that has been very accurate in every gun I have tried it in.

BUT if your cylinder throats are too small it still wont work. If your cylinder throat is swaging your bullet down below the size of your barrel you will have all the same problems. I have also seen cylinder throats that all measure something different. So there ya go!

As I stated, you have to elimanate one problem at a time. Im not sure how many sixguns I have, but I am sure what works for me. Good Luck!

I shoot lead in my 357 blackhawk and have no leading . But I cast and size my own bullets. When I use factory laoded 44mag in my redhawk I had leading but when I went to cast my own I had no problem. I do check the BHN of the lead I cast with the Lee tester. I was told some factory cast bullets are made of soft lead and some guns do not like it. and are not size right. If there is a problem with bullet slug your barrel to get the right size bullet. Just my own advice.Thank you
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Your leading started about half way down the barrel?

That means whatever lube your commercial caster was using failed at that point. I would contact him and see if he has other lubes available, if you continue to buy someone else's bolits.

If you decide to cast your own the RCBS .357 150 SWC is the mold to get. lube them with Carnuba Red and load on the same amount of 296 and size .359

Your problem will go away!

Boolit Master

357 Ruger, First off welcome to the forum. The posts up above contain a lot of good info on fit you will want to slug your barrel as well. Another thing is store bought lead boolits don't alway's have the best lube on them. I am sure with out a doubt you can get your revolver's shooting great with cast. On cleaning a leaded barrel look in the stickie section for the recipe for "Ed's Red" solvent that used with some chore boy copper scrub pads on the brush will clean it right up. FB

Boolit Bub

Thanks all for the suggestions. It helps to have ideas from people who have already been down this road. I will get bullets that fit my cylinder tighter and go from there. I don't have any casting equipment but Penn will sell them in a range of sizes.

I did check the diameter of the bullets with a micrometer and they are .0005 oversized (.3585 and .4525). Looks like I should have asked for .360 size bullet for the GP-100. According to my inside micrometer they are running .359 or slightly smaller.

That's one approach, why don't you try the harder Penn bullets sized bigger and also get some soft swaged bullets and see what is more accurate. That's assuming you are working towards accuracy as the goal.

Letting them bump up to suit your gun may work better. This is apposed to the opinions expressed on the Penn site about what works best, I realize that. Their approach of using harder bullets just hasn't proven itself in my Taurus 66 6 inch 357. I'm sure it works in some revolvers, only because so many claim that it does. Try it out in yours and let us know what works best in your GP100.

Boolit Bub

Sounds good I have the larger bullets on order and have some Speer 148 HBWCs and 158 SWCs that I picked up locally. You think these will bump up enough to stop the leading in the GP-100? I have an older Security Six I will try them in as well. The throats on that gun seem to be right around .3575. I forced a couple of HBWCs through and they measure after starting out at .3585. The older gun has a smoother forcing cone and barrel than the GP-100 as well.
    Last edited by 357Ruger; 11-21-2010 at 09:44 AM.

In Remebrance

Welcome. Skimming the posts above it looks like you're getting good info. Fit is King with cast, no two ways about it. But, since you already have the other store bought boolits you can certainly try some lite loads to see if there's any hope. You just never know what will work, especially with low and slow loads. If you do get leading a little solvent and 4/0 steel wool on a worn bore brush will remove it post haste.

If you want to get into cast, and it isn't for everyone, then determine your goals and start with the basics- static fit comes first followed by dynamic fit, that is how the powder charge affects the the boolit on firing and during it's trip up the barrel. That's the part where lube/alloy/temper/powder charge and pressure curve come into play. There's also the issues of mechanical details like the barrel finish and loading die dimensions.

It's a great hobby, it can be as involved as you like. There are pitfalls and plateaus and stumbling blocks, but those are normal in any hobby. Start off low and slow and see how you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by 357Ruger View Post
    Sounds good I have the larger bullets on order and have some Speer 148 HBWCs and 158 SWCs that I picked up locally. You think these will bump up enough to stop the leading in the GP-100? I have an older Security Six I will try them in as well. The throats on that gun seem to be right around .3575. I forced a couple of HBWCs through and they measure after starting out at .3585. The older gun has a smoother forcing cone and barrel than the GP-100 as well.
    They work well and bump up enough in most guns. The HBWC will with less of a charge. If you get any leading using the 158 with a light charge, keep increasing (someone else posted this approach) until it clears up.

The Speer should both work fine though.

Boolit Mold
    So I have this 44 Magnum revolver where the biggest cylinder throat measures .435, the next one down .4345 and the other four .434. No worries there, I have the recent group buy .434+ mould.

However, the barrel slugs .422 (about) and .430.

What's going to happen if I try to squeeze a .434 bullet down that barrel? Or should I just go for it and watch out for pressure?

Boolit Master
    Retro:

Walt Melander had a favorite saying:

When the Big Light Hits the boolit will fit the barrel!

A little over size in a revolver is no big deal just use the start loads in any good manual and watch for signs of pressure like sticky extraction.

Do Not try to read primers they lie!

Instead try "miking" case's before and after firing. For this to work properly you need several factory rounds to fire in your gun to get a base reading for expansion of the case.

Once you have the base expansion measurement simply never exceed that during you load development.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks HeavyMetal.

Sure, I have no problem with a little oversize, I just don't know when "little" ends and "are you fscking nuts?" starts

Yup, I have the Ken Waters bible, so I understand the case mike thing, will do that. In my experience, primers don't lie, as long as you listen, and don't try to interpret them to suit what you want the truth to be.

(If someone reads this in 2015 and my post count is still 12... it didn't work, and I blew myself up

Boolit Master
    Retro, post again soon so we won't worry about you!
    Paul

I'm A Honcho!
    Retro, shoot em thru there! You will be fine!!1