RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star sizer air mod

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    So this is an inexpensive replacement for the air pressure system that Magma sells for a $100.00?
    Yes, this is more of a do it yourself project, if you have an air compressor or air tank it emulates the Magma air cylinder.

air parts for the star luber

well I got the chance to get to Lowes today got all but 2 parts for the set up had to go on a a friends house stop by a hardware store they had the other 2 parts I needed so the machine parts are not needed you just have to mix and match the whole thing cost me $23 and change I do want to thank those involved in the brain work and for sharing all there knowledge they have saved me a lot of time D Crockett

Air tank

I started on the air tank today really did not like the compressor running in the house or I should say the wife did not like it got all but one thing for it out of my junk box so far total cost is $0.00 and I like that D Crockett

D Crockett, could you post the the parts you used to a make a completely bolt in setup for the other members that are looking to do the same? If you found a bushing that fits into the lube cap that would be the the most important part of the upgrade to the Star for air pressurization.

Troy

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmaloy View Post
    D Crockett, could you post the the parts you used to a make a completely bolt in setup for the other members that are looking to do the same? If you found a bushing that fits into the lube cap that would be the the most important part of the upgrade to the Star for air pressurization.

Troy
    Troy, I built mine like you recommended earlier using the threaded section of a disassembled pressure coupling I picked up at harbor freight...

Bought a Vermont American die off of amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product) for just under $7 and used it to rethread it to 5/8-18. If you take it slow and use a good amount of cutting oil it rethreads pretty cleanly and now fits the Star Lube cap very nicely.....

Still thinking how I want to supply pressure..... Space is very much an issue so I really need to think this through.... Have been thinking it would be awesome if I could adapt a CO2 cartridge tire inflator similar to this http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/pr...NCE/?id=103039

From what everyone has been saying the air consumption is pretty low and something like this would be small enough to mount directly to the cap fitting.... That would be pretty sweet.....

I assume the knob is a pressure regulator but have ordered one to check it out.... Will post what I find when it arrives.....

ADMIN

just buy something like this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Gallon-Portabl...item35ae4e7838

it will last you a long time.

I just ordered a air cylinder for $30. Gonna order a part from Magma for $12 and then I will have a complete air cylinder setup.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    just buy something like this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Gallon-Portabl...item35ae4e7838

it will last you a long time.

I just ordered a air cylinder for $30. Gonna order a part from Magma for $12 and then I will have a complete air cylinder setup.

What part are you ordering from Magma?
    Was looking at the pigs and small compressors at harbor freight but they are all pretty big.... I could park it on the other side of the room and run a hose but given the slight consumption would rather have a small tank or source right at the star..... Paintball stuff is nice but pricey....

Will have to continue to keep my eyes open and think about it....

ADMIN

Part #af107 and af108

I bought the air cylinder from MSC supply for $25. (they price matched a local supplier)
    The air regulator from harbor freight for $7.
    The fittings from the local supply house for $4

AF107 will cost $12 according to the nice lady I spoke to last week.
    My brother Robert was going to make one but he is very busy.
    I am buying the screw because why not, since I am already ordering from them might as well get the screw too.

I figure I should have about $60 in the whole deal.

star air

Troy I just went to the hardware store the first piece is brass the 2nd is a reducer that is cast iron the kind old water pipes used to be made out of next is a male to male brass fitting that goes into the pressure gauge on top of the gauge is a male swivel air connect bought 2 o rings one to go into the piece that you screw into the star lubber first and one small one for the top of the air gauge I will try to get a friend to send a picture of it I took a air tank took the hose off and refitted it to where you could hook up a hose to it filled it with air it seems to work just fine the hardest thing was to get all the leaks to stop leaking next time I am in lowes I will get the names and sizes of the parts I bought and post them I hope this helps D Crockett

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    Troy I just went to the hardware store the first piece is brass the 2nd is a reducer that is cast iron the kind old water pipes used to be made out of next is a male to male brass fitting that goes into the pressure gauge on top of the gauge is a male swivel air connect bought 2 o rings one to go into the piece that you screw into the star lubber first and one small one for the top of the air gauge I will try to get a friend to send a picture of it I took a air tank took the hose off and refitted it to where you could hook up a hose to it filled it with air it seems to work just fine the hardest thing was to get all the leaks to stop leaking next time I am in lowes I will get the names and sizes of the parts I bought and post them I hope this helps D Crockett
    D Crockett, I use this to seal all my threads..... Does a really good job preventing air leaks......

http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pl...atalogId=10053

I just used teflon tape that worked for me I just had to put on and off a few times D Crockett

Boolit Bub
    I have compiled a list of most everything needed for the mod. I have a parts list for the tank and tankless setup.

For Tankless setup

From Homedepot:

1. 1/4" Air pressure regulator - Husky 401-877, $21.95

2. Connector Kit, contains 1 female quick connect, (1) 1/4"x1/4" connector, and (2) hose connectors - Husky 417-564, $5.99

3. 1/4" swivel connector - Campbell Hausfield MP1038 - $6.99

4. Watts 3/8" Flare x 1/4"MIP - Watts A-182 - $2.29

5. Teflon tape - $.99

6. 1 1/2" hose clamp - $.59

7. Scrap hose to cover cylinder vent hole.

O-rings I had on hand except for the 1 1/4" will have to go back to Lowes.

Homedepot does not carry the fluidmaster tank to bowl kit #6101 in my area.
    Lowes only carrys the fluidmaster tank to bowl kit with tank gasket #6102 - $5.49

To Duplicate the Magma Pneumatic Air Cylinder Setup:

You will need a 1/8" air pressure regulator and a 1/8" female npt quick connector for the air supply.

If you cannot find a 1/8" air pressure regulator you will have to find a 1/8"male npt x 1/4"male npt adapter.

Optional fitting might be a universal swivel adapter depending on your setup.

Magma uses the SMC 1-1/16 air cylinder, 6" stroke, #NCMB106-0600

Other Pneumatic Air Cylinder Sources:
    Description: PNEUMATIC CYLINDER, ROUND STAINLESS STEEL, 1-1/16 BORE, 6 IN. STROKE, DOUBLE ACTING, FRONT NOSE MOUNT, 5/8-18, 50-99psi

1. Automation Direct #A17060DN = $21.75 - $13.55 to OKLA

2. Cylinder SMC Coast Pneumatics #NCMB106-0600 - $25.15 - #13.87 to OKLA

3. Graingers - air cylinder - #5TGA8 - $45.10 - $15 shipping instore pickup $23 home (per sales counter)

4. McMasters & Carr - #6498K186 - $30.44 - unknown

*****BEST CHOICE*****
    5. Amazon - from SMC (amazon prime) $32.81 - search SMC NCMB106-0600 OR 1-1/16" air cylinder, 6" stroke (This is the best deal if you have amazon prime, ships in 2 to 3 weeks it says.)
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **********
    I chose Amazon because there are no handling fees. Shipping is free if you have amazon prime.

6. Magma Engineering - Total Parts for everything from Cap down
    Air cylinder part numbers
    #S109 - Pressure Screw Nut - $12
    #AF107 - Piston - $12.50
    #S107 - Hycar Washer - $7.95
    #AF108 - Hycar Washer Mounting Screw - $2
    #AF109 - #10 SAE Flat Washer - $.20

prices subject to change..

There are other sources for the air cylinders and lots of options. The air cylinders are not "normal" shelf items and there my be a short lead time. There are some stocking distributors but most say two or three days for build. I also ran into several distributors who charge not only shipping but handling too. So don't let the low price of a cylinder make up your mind, you might be surprised that the shipping can exceed $15. McMasters shipping for small packages will run about $6 according to order desk, but you won't know for sure until you are billed.
    Last edited by DirtyJack; 02-28-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have never seen the Magma in person. The cylinder that they use is the 1 1/16 with a 6 inch stroke. If the 1 1/2 has the same size nose thread it should work also. You don't plug the bottom port. If you did then the piston would have air trapped in front of it and it would be working against itself. When you want to retract the cylinder, you simple disconnect the air from the top port and apply air to the bottom port. Some guys just pull the whole unit out to add lube and push the piston back up by hand. I don't think the spring return works well. Maybe some one who has tried it will chime in. You already have the S109, S107,AF108 and AF109. Those items are part of the spring setup of your Star. Just pick up the air cylinder, piston, gauge, and various fitting you want and you are there. Good luck, Rod

Boolit Buddy
    I have the magna factory cylinder, you do not want to retract the cylinder by using 120lbs of air pressure, ask me how I know, it really hammers up without any resistance. Better to just pull it up and out by hand with the air pressure disconnected.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
    I have the magna factory cylinder, you do not want to retract the cylinder by using 120lbs of air pressure, ask me how I know, it really hammers up without any resistance. Better to just pull it up and out by hand with the air pressure disconnected.

(Ronbo)
    I have seen options for the air cylinders that offer cushions as an option. But for this application, as you point out it really isn't needed.
    Could upload a decent closeup of your cylinder? I still haven't seen a really good pic of the factory setup.

(Rodsvet)
    Thanks for the info...I only listed the parts from magna so a person could have a choice to purchase new components or to at least know which parts they are using from the manual plunger. There are several threads where the air mod is the topic and the material list is scattered at best. I am trying to put it all in one place with part numbers and reliable sources so a person can find everything in one place. This thread is the best because in another part of the thread there is a parts breakdown from magna.

For myself, I am going to go ahead and purchase the piston components new. My lubricator is probably mid 50's and the screw that holds the hycar washer is absolutely locked tight. Who knows is may have loctite under it or old lube that is locking it in place. I don't feel like trying to put any heat on it as I would probably destroy it in the process. So I really need to puchase or fabricate a plunger/piston I would also like to see a good photo of your cylinder.

I installed all of my parts last night, plugged the vent hole and charged my luber with air. I pressured it up to 60psi and went to eat my dinner. Came back in an hour and the pressure was still 60psi so I think I have a decent seal. I will get the air cylinder tho and duplicate the factory setup.

Boolit Bub
    Well I got off the phone with Mary at Magma and wound up buying the whole assembly and a pound of lube. After 5 days of trying to source a cylinder that cost less than $45 delivered I decided to go ahead and get the whole thing. It turned out I wasn't going to save that much in the end. So I have $35 in parts that I spent on the other setup. Who knows I might need them for something else. Anyway, It's done and over with.

In sourcing the cylinder I found that for the specific bore size of 1-1/16", 6" stroke, and front nose mount, there are numerous options that can be ordered. You have to be very specific about what you are buying as these cylinders are mostly made to order. Only the most very basic cylinders are stocked.

I spoke with one supplier today who was very helpful and I asked him today who had the best cylinders. His shop supplies Parker cylinders. He told me that the SMC cylinders were very close in quality to Parker. He also noted that Speedaire and Norgren are very good. He told me it takes a couple of days to build and that would be typical from most suppliers.
    I hope this helps those who want to build their setup.

Boolit Mold
    I'm interested in attempting this modification; however, I can't see how to remove the lube cap from the pressure screw. This is the 5/8 x 18tpi screw. The cap doesn't appear to be removable at either end. Must the screw be cut or modified in order to remove the cap?

Boolit Buddy
    buff, there is no cutting/modifying required. The flat washer on the end that pushes the piston down is pressed onto the shaft. Just unscrew the shaft all the way and the cap will push the washer off. There will be some resistance, but it will come off.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by buyobuyo View Post
    buff, there is no cutting/modifying required. The flat washer on the end that pushes the piston down is pressed onto the shaft. Just unscrew the shaft all the way and the cap will push the washer off. There will be some resistance, but it will come off.
    It is as you say

Thank you kindly, sir.

Boolit Bub
    I received my air cylinder Saturday. For those who don't read the fine print. Your cylinder assembly is does not include S-107, S-109, and S-130 which is the pressure screw cap, the hycar seal and #10 washer. You are supposed to re-use the parts from the manual screw. My sizer is very old and the pressure cap will not come off without damaging (that's what Magma told me and that I shouldn't try) and the screw that holds the hycar washer in place is frozen in place and I would probably destroy it trying to remove it. I had to order the parts. So your setup will cost you another $25 to make a complete drop in assembly.

Sourcing the parts yourself you will spend approximately $92 for a complete drop in air cylinder assembly.

If you purchase from Magma ALL AT ONE TIME.
    You will spend:
    $100.00 - AF105 Air Cylinder Assembly....
    $ 26.00 - S107, S109, S-130 - If you don't re-use your manual screw parts
    $ 18.95 Shipping and handling
    Total:
    $144.95

Don't forget to buy lube if you don't already have a good supply - Its $15.00/lb. They ship in a flat rate box so you can put alot of lube in with your cylinder.

If you are a little more patient than myself you can save around $50 for a complete drop in unit by building the kit yourself. I added a 5 gal air tank from Northern Tool that was on sale for $24.99. I re-used one of the quick connectors from the tankless setup and I replaced the hose with one off of a pneumatic ratchet I had. I am now good to go.
    Last edited by DirtyJack; 02-28-2012 at 01:28 AM.