Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook

The new book was a big letdown, however it is a usefull addition. I was hopeing to see some 458 Lott loads with the Lee 500 gr. GC, Oh well, mabey next edition.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    One other thing to remember is that each new load probably has to be reviewed by 43 different LAWYERS at $500.00 per hour to make sure Lyman can not become BHO Publishing Co

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    Thanks.

Dave Scovill is probably reading it as I type!

Hi Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    One other thing to remember is that each new load probably has to be reviewed by 43 different LAWYERS at $500.00 per hour to make sure Lyman can not become BHO Publishing Co
    It's always sad when the bureaucrats and lawyers get their fingers into everything and ruin it for everyone. In no way would I consider myself savvy to the games they play, but I have always wondered why they couldn't put some kind of terms of use agreement into load books like many forums and websites do. To quote an excerpt from the castboolit.gunloads.com ToS we all submit to by reading and posting here...

View these pages and use the listed data at your own risk. By use of this web site, YOU AGREE to release Cast Boolits from any liability as a direct or indirect result of any listed data.
    I'm sure there are mountains of red tape and jargon barring such a thing to not mention the logistics of implementation but such is life. In the little world in my head, everybody practices common sense, like the stuff people had "back in the day"
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I got a copy from Santa and went through during one football game. Some good stuff but mostly a retread of previously published info.
    With the price of components, I am usually a two load one bullet shooter who sticks with what work for him.
    I have collected several volumes of Lyman Handbooks from the fifties to now. Good cross referencess.

Gerry

Boolit Master

i think it's about the best cast boolit manual available currently for beginners. mike is easy to read and understand. true, it does not get into many of the deep subjects, but what reloading manual does?

i do wish it had some heavier loads though, like for 357 or 38 with 190-200 grain boolits.

And light boolit loads too. The 30-30 makes a very good poor man's 32-20, and the 35 Remington makes a good .357 Mag for many cast boolit shooters, and it was a bit disappointing to see that kind of thing very much overlooked, especially when there was good data available from their old manuals that they could have copied at least. Still, there is a lot of good data with new powders, etc., and they did include data for molds from other companies so we have to be thankful for that. For a number of years, my old 30-30, and a single shot .22 were my only small game, big game, and recreational shooting guns, and they worked very well indeed. The 30-30 did the lion's share of the shooting chores, most of the year with the old Lyman 3118 boolit, and small charges of Unique, etc., though I did use some 110 grain jacketed bullets when the woodchucks were thick. Later I got the Lyman 311316U mold, and pushed along near 2000 fps it took over my iron sighted varmint chores.

Boolit Master

Talking

I just wished they had kept all the calibers from the old books and added the new calibers and powders. They did not even have the list of moulds that they made like in the 3rd edition. It is not like they had to compile the list, it already existed.

Boolit Master

I find that most of my searching is for older data for powders that I pick up cheap from closeouts and estate type sales. So older sources serve me well most of the time. Awhile ago I had some R21 that I found cheap. Now I have my eye on some old, new cans of AL8 . New powders I can get info for on line from the manufacturer. and there is always this site to refer to and ask questions at.

Guys we are talking about the Lyman 4th Edition as the NEW book? I don't have any of the Lyman casting books so this is why I ask.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master

Couldn't hurt.

Banned

yeah.
    i haven't even bothered to look for one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by warf73 View Post
    Guys we are talking about the Lyman 4th Edition as the NEW book? I don't have any of the Lyman casting books so this is why I ask.
    Yes.

I found the 4th edition useful, in that pressures were listed for most loads, and it was not full of discontinued primers and powders like the third edition, or Linotype 38 special loads, or articles about special 2-part molds not made anymore...

I'd like to collect the older versions (I have 3rd, looking for 2nd or 1st), but of course, most loads are useless except for the IMR powders, which seem to live on forever.

I suspect that Lyman is looking closely at 4th edition sales to determine whether this whole casting thing has a future or not. Just a feeling.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Thanks HF,

I have the RCBS 1st ed (thinks its called that) its helpful but I need a book with the 480 Ruger in it. Does anyone know if the 4th ed Lyman has it, if not no reason in getting it. All my other cast loads are old run of the mill stuffs that I don't plan on changing anytime soon. No reason in fixing something that isn't broken.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Load information for the 480 Ruger is in the new Lyman #4 Cast Bullet Handbook with loads for 325 gr., and 400 gr. bullets.