Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The things you find...(range brass)

Boolit Master

A friend had a bag of 44 mag reloads done commercially that had one 41 mag in it it expandes but did not split.
    My RCBS 4X4 press has started flipping primers it is a pain in the rear. I think the arm is bent.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

I was picking brass out of trash can and found a box of .243 in the box were 2 fired shells with expanded primer pockets and 17 loaded rounds. I asked around and someone told me a guy had a .243 jam and he went home complaining of the reloads a friend gave him. I pulled the 17 bullets they were seated on ball powder so hard the powder left imprints in bullet bases and I had to tap cases to get powder out. I could not identify the powder for sure but the powders in my Hornady book (I just started reloading it was 1973) showed the load was about 10 grs. heavier than any of there top loads for a 85 gr bullet.
    Friends like that we do not need !
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    I found it was way to cold the last time I went to the range

Boolit Master
    One of my better finds was 3 boxes (96 rds) of .303 Brit cordite surplus. Someone had tried to fire 3 or 4 rounds, but their firing pin was so far off center it just nicked the edge of the primer. Combine a pin strike that far off center with not the best primers, and they were all duds-they even put them back in the box. I tried them in my Enfield (which has a well-centered firing pin strike) and they fired just fine, even though they were the infamous POF ammo. For free, I'm not complaining about the quality. Among my brass scavengings, a memorable one was several 7mm Rem mags. that had been fired in what I think was a 7mm STW. The non-reloading shooter probably never looked at the brass after it was ejected, but all of the shoulders were blown well forward and exhibited 3-4 small longitudinal splits. However, the rest of the case sealed the chamber well enough that he never knew what he had done.

Boolit Bub
    Range Brass disasters collected over the years.

http://http://www.carolinaguntalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 01-06-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: shoot, it had one http to many. works now

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    range brass disasters collected over the years.

http://http://www.carolinaguntalk.co....php?topic=6.0
    "server not found"

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Broken link for me too.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Bub
    Ok, is working for me, but lets put up the main board link

http://www.carolinaguntalk.com/forum/index.php

The photo thread of range brass is in the reloading section

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Reguardless of data being published or not if it is sticking cases in your gun it is too hot for YOUR gun period!
    If it is below published data and is sticking cases in your gun it is too hot for YOUR gun period!
    Any load that is sticking cases in your gun is too hot for YOUR gun period!
    Get the idea?
    Except when it's not. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk that exhibits sticky cases with any load, including 44 Special-level handloads and factory ammunition.

Very little in the universe is absolute.

Boolit Master

The link worked for me but I think some of what he called unsupported Chamber was from a slide out of battery . I have some foreign military ammo (GREEK?) that splits every time I think the primers contain mercury the case splits after pressure drops. They are Berdan primed and I can not remember were I got them from probably given to me by someone.