Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peep sights ?

Question peep sights ?

I'm getting another Marlin 1895 but in the GBL or SBL still thinking about . But I was looking at a peep sight for it as you all know the factory sights SUCK. I seen the Skinner sight , and XS sights and the one I had before Williams sights. I have not seen the Skinner or the XS sights and I almost forgot the Wild West sights. Has eny one had these sights? just looking for some feed back the good and bad or just your thoughts.

Boolit Master

I have a Williams FP with target knobs on mine and love it.
    Can't speak for the others but check out the Marlin forum I know I've read about Skinner there.
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

I have Skinners on several rifles and can cloverleaf at 50 yards with the right load. Perfect hunting setup because it is constructed from solid steel so is very durable.
    Keep moving forward!

Moderator Emeritus

I use Skinner sigts on several guns and am well satisfied for the price. The apatures are prone to backing out, but a couple wraps of dental floss on the threads cures that.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I have used Williams on rifles since I got out of the Army in 74. I try not to use the sights for hammers and they hold up nicely. Generally once I have them set for my suspected longest shot they never get moved. I have never missed a critter yet where I could have said it was the sights failure. Actualy I think I have made more shots due to the quickness of a peep sight. Maybe they are not as fine as a Buffington but deer & groundhogs do not seem to mind.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I'm putting the Skinner sight on my STBL. A friend bought one and swears by them.
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of Skinners on my 1895's. Compared to my Williams and Lyman aperture sights they give me a much clearer sight picture and are more sturdy to boot.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I say Skinner too. I have the Guide Gun Set mine and they are great.

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Boolit Bub
    I have the Williams sight on my 1895 and I am quite happy with this sight. The next time I think I would try the Skinner sight. I like the simple and rugged design.

Boolit Master
    I have a Williams FP on my 444. Been there for 35 years of canadian moose hunting. Its a lot tougher than me still. I have a Lyman on a flintlock and it is ok but the tolerances are sloppy. The Williams locks the upper peep slide with a screw, nothing wiggles.

My Winoku 92 might get a Williams 5D as it is dead simple screw locked slide and aperture and much cheaper if you set your sights and leave them.
    Last edited by Canuck Bob; 06-04-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have or have had several different peep sights !

And I gotta say I like the Lyman , Williams FP and the no longer made Redfield peep !
    Matter of fact I have a nice old Redfield thats here to stay as well as an older Lyman thats here to stay !
    I also have a Williams FP on hand , but it's a recent manufacture so if it gets traded for something I can always replace it !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I'm looking for a Redfield 80 series for my Win 92 some day. The one with the spring loaded slide. Seems to me Redfield made a very fine sight indeed, very stout steel construction and nice machining details.

Problem is only two I ever found were exxxxpensive!

Boolit Buddy
    I have Redfield 70 series sights on all the levers except one that has a scope. The hunter knobs can be changed to target knobs. These are better sights than the Williams or the Lyman's in my opinion.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Are there any American dealers who specialize in these older sights?

I now have Skinner's Tatatical rear sight on my Guide Gun and I am very satisfied with it. Prior to that one, I had the standard Skinner's peep for the 1895 in brass. Worked well. The design is pretty straight forward and rugged. The trade off is that the sights are not as adjustable and as quick as others and are somewhat course. With that said, I would still use them, because they look great and have proven to be accurate on my GG. Once I have a load dialed in, I lock her and call it good.

Other than a Guide Gun, I would consider using Andy's new Express style peep sight for the the 1895.....They are gorgeous!!!

Lonerider

Boolit Mold
    i used the Lyman # 2 tang sight and it just couldnt stand up to the recoil of my 1895 . i took it off and now im looking too.

Boolit Master
    I have used the Williams FP and the XS sights. Have not had a skinner. The XS is excellent for me on 1895 Cowboy.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    I went with a Skinner on my "95". Soon as I get the load figured for the 405 from the AM mold, I'm going to have Andy make a front sourdough to match the trajectory I want. Still plan on using the factory rear for the heavier 470 gr. load. I'll just remove the aperature, and shoot through the "ghost ring" when I need that 470 gr..
    Dave

Boolit Buddy
    I have Williams on my 1895G, not the FP but the one which screws down onto the rear scope mount. They may be the cheaper ones but collected the venison so I'm happy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward429451 View Post
    I have Williams on my 1895G, not the FP but the one which screws down onto the rear scope mount. They may be the cheaper ones but collected the venison so I'm happy.
    Probably the WGRS series. I got one on a 10/22 and it has been a great sight for well over 30 years. I kinda forgot about these, hmmm.