Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mold block temperature

Boolit Buddy
    There is and article in the Precision shooting reloading guide. BY Roger Clouser called pouring bullets for extreme accuracy. That has some very good information with mold temp and allot temp. He use alloy temp at 800 and mold temp at 375 with great success for him. It a good read really like the information from your test Swede Hope to use it soon in my bullet casting

Kirb

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kirb View Post
    There is and article in the Precision shooting reloading guide. BY Roger Clouser called pouring bullets for extreme accuracy. That has some very good information with mold temp and allot temp. He use alloy temp at 800 and mold temp at 375 with great success for him. It a good read really like the information from your test Swede Hope to use it soon in my bullet casting

Kirb
    What alloy?

Gear

Wow, great subject, and results!
    Those are beautiful bullets; and sexxy! Lol!

We all know a consistant mould temp is very important. Personally, I like seeing a slight frost on my casted bullets. But, without a real understanding of my mould's actual temp, it's hard to be consistant. Especially between those times I need to add more lead to the pot. And, or stop to clean a crusting mould. More gadgets needed.

Thanks for the eye opener; again.
    Ron

Banned

How are you getting lead between the blocks? Pressure casting and getting fins trapped in there, or dropping culls back into the pot and getting splashes?

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    What alloy?

Gear,

He dose not list his alloy in the article any where just the temps he using for mold (LBT) and melt and a 20 pound pot, and that your alloy will require small adjustment to temps.

Kirb

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kirb View Post
    What alloy?

Gear,

He dose not list his alloy in the article any where just the temps he using for mold (LBT) and melt and a 20 pound pot, and that your alloy will require small adjustment to temps.

Kirb
    Thanks for the reply. I was asking because at those temperatures the tin starts drossing out at an astronomical rate, I call it "flash oxidation". Actually the other elements are drossing out, too, but the tin seems to do it faster. If there isn't much tin in the alloy it's not as much of a concern.

Gear

Boolit Master

Talking

GoldenRoyBoy, on his page look under Our Products, then under Our Famous Lubes and you will see the Bullplate Sprue Lube.

Made in U.S.A.
    Just got in the first of our Digital Casting Thermometers.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...79#post1090179

Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Boolit Master
    Swede, what's your workflow? Am I correct in assuming you're not pouring with the temperature probe still inserted?

Boolit Master
    That 311-165 is due in soon, so I've been thinking about this. I have a Coverite pocket thermometer from my RC days. I was planning on just sitting that on top of the mould. Think it would work?

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    That's one way to skin a cat! How's it working out for you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    Swede, what's your workflow? Am I correct in assuming you're not pouring with the temperature probe still inserted?
    I would also like to know this, can you keep it in all the time? I thought that was the case tbh.

Boolit Master

Talking

HDS, Swede has a hole drilled into the mould for the probe to be used while casting. You have the option for the hole to be drilled for the probe at no charge when you buy one of his moulds.

Boolit Grand Master

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    HDS, Swede has a hole drilled into the mould for the probe to be used while casting. You have the option for the hole to be drilled for the probe at no charge when you buy one of his moulds.
    Thanks for clarifying! I figured as much but wasn't sure.

I assume can also this with other molds, just plug the probe in another block thats been drilled for it (thinking about the mihec brass mold group buy I am in).

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    How about this? Bill
    I find it very confusing when someone posts links for the purpose of undercutting one of our Vendor Sponsors just to save a buck or two.

Swedes price is close to the link you posted PLUS Swede sends the proper size drill bit along with the digital thermometer, the link you posted does not so the price is even closer.

Maybe its just me but I think our Vendor Sponsors should be supported, not do whatever we can to undercut them and save a buck.

Ok, rant over.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Hi Nelson did you get my PM?

Daniel