WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FreeChex,thinking of buying one or two

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    I have 5 of Charlie's FreeChex III dies. Glad I didn't try to do the II version. The III version makes perfect checks, fast.

Charlie was VERY helpful when I was working on making the outside diameter of the sized check bigger.

For example, I wanted to be able to produce checks for my .500 S&W Magnum which came off the die at .503" outside diamater. No matter what I tried for raw material, I kept getting .500. Turns out that there's a fixed space between punch and die body, which will extrude thicker material. Charlie walked me through how to "beagle" (hone) out the die body to get to the larger size. So, now... using thicker copper, I get a check that snaps onto my .500 s&w magnum bullet bases, and can be final sized in the lube station anywhere from .500 up to .502/.503 (Beowolf), which is the as-cast drop size for the boolit.

I had each of the FreeChex III die sets at my door in about a week after ordering off FleaBay. fast checks, and fast delivery.
    DukeinMaine
    You are making me jealous man that is great customer service what you just described,I want to be able to use 0.14 Al,as I have two rolls of it and can get more,if PatMarlin send the dies I ordered real quick,I can make some and I will be out of trouble,not having to buy commercial checks,which are as expensive as all hell
    I can see myself getting some from Charlie +side is FAST delivery and you get them in your hands in a bout a week or two.

Thanks for that.
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Buddy
    My experience is the same as Duke's..... Charlie is great to work with and his products are awesome..... Each of mine arrived less than a week after I ordered them.....

Sure beats buying gas checks.....

BTW, Charlie sent me an email that he is giving up on ebay since they are such an antishooter PITA.... He now plans on selling through gunbroker....

Current FCIII gunbroker auction
    Last edited by Bob J; 07-12-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
    My experience is the same as Duke's..... Charlie is great to work with and his products are awesome..... Each of mine arrived less than a week after I ordered them.....

Sure beats buying gas checks.....

BTW, Charlie sent me an email that he is giving up on ebay since they are such an antishooter PITA.... He now plans on selling through gunbroker....

Current FCIII gunbroker auction
    Thanks for the link. Do you have to join Gunbroker to bid or buy?
    I suppose it is just like Ebay?
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Master
    I know I have said this before,but I'll say it again.
    I have ordered a .30Cal & 45Cal GasCheck Maker Dies from PatMarlin,that was 6 months ago,still no dies,but to his defence he has had a few breakdowns,which he can't help,so I wait for the one's I have ordered,for now!.
    Just bought some 30cal GC off a mate(a couple of hundred to tide me over),was thinking of getting a 30 cal off Ebay ,the Freechex one,but funds are limited,I also want 35 cal and 7mm cal GC Dies,and I will be getting them off Charlie,but again funds are limited.

Thanks to all that replied,I appreciate it and keep up the good work,all of you.
    Cheers

no34570

Charlie just advised he is ditching Ebay and using Gunbroker hence forth. Ebay appear to be flexing too much muscle.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by no34570 View Post
    Thanks for the link. Do you have to join Gunbroker to bid or buy?
    I suppose it is just like Ebay?
    Yes, you do..... It's very similar to the way ebay works just more shooter friendly.....

Ok - Who is Charlie and how do I contact him?????????
    Big Bore = 45+

You can find him at www.freechex.net or on Gunbroker.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    You can find him at www.freechex.net or on Gunbroker.
    Jeff,thanks for the link,I saved it,as soon as I know when I'll get paid,I'm ordering some
    Cheers

no34570

In Remembrance

Charlie has told me many times that a large portion of his sales are "offshore" sales. I would guess that in many places it's either difficult or illegal to BUY bullets, but OK to make your own.

So, for our friends in OZ, Charlie is familiar with shipping these dies down under.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    Charlie has told me many times that a large portion of his sales are "offshore" sales. I would guess that in many places it's either difficult or illegal to BUY bullets, but OK to make your own.

So, for our friends in OZ, Charlie is familiar with shipping these dies down under.
    Here,in Australia,we can import bullets and such,just have to jump through a few hoops to get them,locally we are getting ripped off in firearms,bullets,ammo & powder, primers,we have to pay way to much for them,cast is cheaper(well sometimes)and easier and fun,so yep,I will be buying some off him.
    Cheers

no34570

Boolit Master
    Emailed Charlie,asking for a price and some other info,have not heard from PatMarlin,on the status of my order,placed 6 months ago,I can wait,but not for ever.
    Just might order from Charlie the other calibres that I want.To be fair to Pat,he has had problems,but I'll wait for Pat,for now.
    Cheers

no34570

Cool FreeChexIII

Just ordered the FreeChexIII for my .459 rifle bullets (AR15 in .458S).

Charlie says to try diferent thicknesses of material to gain the I.D. you want on the check. I have been using Gator's at .024 I.D.

Jack...

Boolit Grand Master

That Charlie is a diamond in the rough, one heck of a guy.
    Charter Member #148