Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: .014 alum too hard to use ?

.014 alum too hard to use ?

I bought another roll of .014 Aluminum flashing from my local Do It Best and this stuff is same product # but cuts(punches) way harder and wont form a cup at all.it actually punches a hole and leaves a ring on the upper forming tool and disc on the ejector of a pat-marlin set.
    The last two rolls were fine.

anyone have this experience?

HMP

Boolit Grand Master
    MY Amerimax .014 is much easier to cut than copper of similar thicknesses.

Sounds like you've got a " hard lot " that has slipped out of the factory, it should not be that hard. Don't suppose that they would exchange it for another roll from another " lot " ?

Moderator Emeritus

I had the same experience with the Ameriflex aluminum flashing material. I finally got some annealed by passing it through the flame of my propane torch after cutting into strips. After that, it made good gas checks, but it's a hit and miss proposition.

I would hold one corner of a strip in the flame with needle nose pliers until the corner started to slightly melt, then move the strip through the flame, watching for a slight color change to the surface of the aluminum. After a few tries, I was able to gauge the proper speed passing the strip through the flame and did about a dozen strips in a couple of minutes. It's a pain, but it does work.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master

What you need is to anneal the stuff. Wonder what would happen if you ran it through a cycle of the self cleaning cycle in your oven ??? Would it get hot enough. It would be a steady and controlled temp????

Boolit Buddy

Hard Aluminum

Hi
    I soften my aluminum strips in a toster oven. Run it up as high as it will go.Mine is maxed at 475 .Leave the strips in for about a hour. Shut the oven off and let cool.
    The strips have a lot less spring to them and they form just fine.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Master

I had the exact same problem, it punched the bottom off of the check and left a ring of aluminum on the punch.

I did exactly what Reloader Fred is saying to do, and the checks then formed beautifully.

Boolit Master
    just as n.h schmids said, in the toaster oven at max temp. for a hour,works for me.

toaster oven it is.I thought about the BBQ as well.
    thanks for all of the input.

HMP

Boolit Master
    if you use the toaster oven, be sure to do it outside, the coating on the alu. will smoke up the house something awfull. I KNOW.

Quote Originally Posted by edsmith View Post
    if you use the toaster oven, be sure to do it outside, the coating on the alu. will smoke up the house something awfull. I KNOW.
    thanks for the advice,i have to make my bullet lube late at night to keep the house civil.

HMP

i took some of my already cut strips and dipped them in my lead pot for the heck of it.they came out very soft and cut and formed better than the previous soft lot i got.I may anneal all of the aluminum now.

HMP

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    i took some of my already cut strips and dipped them in my lead pot for the heck of it.they came out very soft and cut and formed better than the previous soft lot i got.I may anneal all of the aluminum now.

HMP
    That is actually a brilliant idea! Cut strips, stir them into the lead pot, and strain them out. Way easier than a toaster oven too!

Boolit Buddy
    HMP,

Have you tried the .016 aluminum? Just wondering how it behaves in Pat's die because it looks like the .014 is borderline for my .314+ boolits, although I've yet to try out the .014's I've loaded.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

I haven't used .016 yet,the .014 ones i gave you work well on my .314 bullets.I haven't found any .016 aluminum locally or i would try it.

george

Boolit Buddy
    HMP,

Ha - I figured that was you George! Thanks for those checks, they look real nice. My mold probably needs to be lapped a bit at the gas check shank.

I did put a very slight chamfer on each cavity with the blocks closed, and the .014's held tighter, so I'm probably good to go once I lap it. My tool should be here soon. I'll probably get out to shoot the one's you gave me this Friday evening.

Mike
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Quote Originally Posted by truckmsl View Post
    HMP,

Ha - I figured that was you George! Thanks for those checks, they look real nice. My mold probably needs to be lapped a bit at the gas check shank.

I did put a very slight chamfer on each cavity with the blocks closed, and the .014's held tighter, so I'm probably good to go once I lap it. My tool should be here soon. I'll probably get out to shoot the one's you gave me this Friday evening.

Mike
    i wish i was joining you friday,but i have my daughters birthday party.I hope the checks shoot well for you.I have shot them in about every 30 i own sized .309 to .314 and have been happy.

I almost bought another SIAGA 308 today.I decided hold out for one in 7.62 x39 though.You are costing me money with this cast in AK thing!

Boolit Master
    HMP
    How are you liking your GC dies from PatMarlin?
    I have not got mine yet,hopefully soon
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Quote Originally Posted by no34570 View Post
    HMP
    How are you liking your GC dies from PatMarlin?
    I have not got mine yet,hopefully soon
    very well