WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: S&W says no lead boolits for me

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
    it makes me wonder if upper management at S&W wants to only cater to high end customers, who buy products from their "Performance Center". the rest of us that buy "base models" are getting good parts, that are slapped together. if they shoot, and are safe, that is good enough for them. IMO, at the price of their products, they should all go thru the "PC". they do not necessarily need to be tuned to the level of shooters like Jerry Miculek require, but they should at least have the rough machining buffed off, and set to correct specs. otherwise, send your money to another american company, like Ruger or Colt. sadly, with most upper management, there is only two words that even matter. the first is "marketshare" and the second is "profit". when those 2 numbers drop, and only then, do they get concerned about the actual product they are shipping out the door.
    The idea that they only want high end customers won't wash. GM doesn't stay alive by selling Caddys, they need to sell Chevys and trucks. Same goes for Smith.

If the product in question listed for $400 you could say that 'you got what you paid for'. At the current list price S&W should take a good look in the mirror.

It's happening now with another old time American firearms manufacturer. They all seem to have their problems but seem to get it straightened out in time. Let's hope they do so again!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike Golf View Post
    HDS, that's a serious looking divot in that land (it is a land, right?). If you keep that gun and it is not put right by S&W, you might look into a Taylor throating job, just to get rid of that poor machining at the beginning of the bore.
    It's in the land yeah. Not sure if it'll affect accuracy/leading or not. I've contacted S&W and the local service dealer. We'll see what happens.

Boolit Man
    I Called S&W, got through to frank. I explained my dissatisfaction in my gun. He said to send it back " Att. Frank" and he would walk it back to the shop himself. I sent a long letter plus lots of photos. I hope this works out!!!

Boolit Man
    HDS
    It's not a divot but a hump. It causes problems when the hump indents the boolit, the boolit passes the hump then gas rushes past the dent in the boolit, gas cutting the boolit.

thats hard to see. I'll try more pics

Boolit Man

sorry for the poor pics

Quote Originally Posted by castblaster View Post
    I Called S&W, got through to frank. I explained my dissatisfaction in my gun. He said to send it back " Att. Frank" and he would walk it back to the shop himself. I sent a long letter plus lots of photos. I hope this works out!!!
    Frank was the name of the guy that I spoke to there also. I'll be interested to hear how this works out.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

I bought a stainless Mountain Gun a few years ago that would have been on my "Bucket List" if I had one. Anyone interested can search the archives; I'm pretty sure I posted all the aggravation I got about getting the barrel shroud to actually line up with the frame. I even offered to pay for the Custom Shop to fit a new barrel, but kept getting the same "meets specs" response. I've bought at least five handguns since, but none has been a S&W.
    Tony
    Last edited by AnthonyB; 09-20-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Can't type

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Hmmmm, I have an older 629 and it does well with cast. I hope "Frank" takes care of the problem.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by castblaster View Post
    Please keep us informed of the outcome of this. "Frank" may become very busy if this works out properly!
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HDS View Post
    It's in the land yeah. Not sure if it'll affect accuracy/leading or not. I've contacted S&W and the local service dealer. We'll see what happens.
    Sorry to bump this, but if anyone cares; The finnish dealer didn't want to handle this because it was bought in germany, the german dealer could only offer to take the gun back but not fix it (I will not give it back due to legal reasons and grandfathering clauses).

S&W USA hasn't responded nor seem to care.

Finally got some plug gauges too so I could check my throats, got a .4285" minus gauge in but no larger, .4290" would not fit.

So I am having the guns throat fixed (finally, been waiting several months todo anything about it) and I will then see how the gun acts after the throats are opened up to a proper level.

Boolit Master

So, I have been thinking about getting a new 625. That idea is certainly out now. Have to look and find a considerably older unit. That's awful. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I hope Frank puts his hard toed boots on before he walks that boat anchor back into the shop.

prs

Boolit Man
    S&W refunded me my money for the gun. They said all barrels were the same because of their manufacturing process so a replacement would be the same. They offered to take the gun back, and I accepted their offer.

What a mess

Matt Hooper

Boolit Master
    After 4 trips back to the factory; and failure of S&W to properly repair a new 380 Bodyguard, I asked for, and received a full refund. It'll be a cold day in Hades before I buy anything new from S&W until it is proven to me that their attitude towards customers and what they want has improved. Meantime I'll still enjoy my 329PD and various 629's that were made back in the "good old days".
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master

I have a number of recent Smiths and they shoot lead bullets EXTREMELY well. I don't believe that this particular barrel is representative. The barrels are impeccable.

However, the response to the complaint is inexcusable. I DEFINITELY would take it higher up the food chain.

Good luck to the O.P.

Dale53

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    This is so sad. I lived through the first period of S**t & Wesson. Never thought I'd have to go through another.
    Thanks to all you posters and photographers. Keep us informed, please. I, for one, appreciate your input.

P.S. Is anybody making a decent revolver anymore? Anybody American? Makes me regret having sold or traded some beauties.

Boolit Master

the new S&W...

makes you appreciate the old ones...

Rich

Boolit Grand Master

I have purchased three new Ruger single actions in the last couple of years: .44 Lipsey Special Flattop 5½", a TALO SS .44 Special Flattop, and a SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible. The two .44 Specials only required a trigger job. The Bisley Blackhawk required reaming throats of both cylinders and a trigger job. After the minor work was done, these have turned out to be superb shooting machines.

However, I must say I have early Smith's as well as recent Smith's that are all anyone can ask (and I am SERIOUSLY critical).

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    Guess I'll be sticking to my Rugers...
    me too brother!!!!
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Master
    you should expect better frrom a manufacturer such as S&W ,,,,sad ,,,very sad ,,,
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.