Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update to:S&W says no lead boolits for me

Boolit Man

Update to:S&W says no lead boolits for me

here is the original thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=127717

Well S&W called me today. We talked and decided a refund was going to be best for both of us.

They said that because of the new rifling process that all the barrels were the same. And we agreed that a new barrel that looked the same was not going to work for my use(boolits).

This out come is ok with me. I will be able to look on the used market for an older Smith to shoot Boolits out of.

Matt

Boolit Master
    So they are basically admitting all of the new barrels are flawed. Wonderful.
    Rule 303

Boolit Grand Master

I don't pretend to understand S&W's position on this.

I have two fairly new 625's (a 625-6 Model of 1989 and a 625-8 JM Special). They shoot better, or at least as good, as the best revolver I have (and I have a bushel basket of revolvers in various calibers).

I shoot NOTHING but my own cast bullets and these two revolvers have had several thousand rounds through them. I clean them no oftener than 300-500 rounds. I get NO leading whatsoever. I would have to say that my barrels on these two revolvers are as good as my older Smith's in every way.

I remain puzzled...

Dale53

Boolit Master
    "They said that because of the new rifling process that all the barrels were the same."
    (Read as: "We're producing crappy barrels, will continue to, and you'll have to like it")

Un freekin' believable!
    Bob

In Remebrance

Sad, very sad.

Boolit Grand Master

I've bought 3 new S&Ws since 2005 and none looked like the pictures you posted. When did S&W go to this new process?

Boolit Master

I bought a new 629 2 years ago and it shoots cast bullets excellent with no leading. actually ive never had a S&W revolver really lead the bore with approate loads.
    When did they change the rifleing process ?

Boolit Buddy
    Well look on the bright side now you can own an American work horse a RUGER

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I had a 66-5 from 1999 that I could never free from sucking lead. None of my other S&W blued steel revolvers did it, all were older. All my loads work in all my other guns but that 66-5 finally went away and I got a 1919 Colt. End of problem!!!!!!

Boolit Master

This is really disappointing. I've been looking at a new 625 as my next new piece. Now, it'll have to be used. OK, used it is!!!! enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post
    "They said that because of the new rifling process that all the barrels were the same."
    (Read as: "We're producing crappy barrels, will continue to, and you'll have to like it")

Un freekin' believable!
    That must be a standard factory response . I got the same thing from Ruger and Marlin years ago . I stopped buying from them just the same as I did from S&W when they did the "deal" with Clinton . I guess eventually these old guns I have will break or wear out and I can use them to keep someone elses old gun working longer using the parts that still work .

On the other hand they could get their act together but let's not hold out breath waiting .

Jack

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    This thread may have saved me from making a very expensive mistake....

For many years, I prayed that Smith and Wesson would crank up production of the 1917 revolvers in .45 acp...my idea of a good, heavy belt revolver. Not a wanna be magnum because it doesn't need to be. My prayers were answered in recent years with the introduction of their line of "classic" revolvers, including the long desired 1917. It could even be had with a case hardened/colored frame. Wowee!

Now I find out that their barrel quality is the pits. Too bad, as I finally have the money. S&W just lost a customer......almost the same as when Bangor Punta was running it. Back then, it seemed every new S&W felt like it was trundled down a conveyer belt and fell into a box full of sand.

When will they learn that customers stick to a specific brand because of guaranteed QUALITY???? You can build plastic parts for my car, but don't cheapen my guns......ever.

Boolit Master
    Well, I am glad for you. At least you won't be out much, except time and effort (and what expense you've incurred for components, etc.). Under the circumstances, I think that is the least S&W could do.

It is sad, though (what S&W said). Hard to believe that they find this acceptable - that ANY such company would.

I guess that, from now on, I must look at (new) S&W's with a jaundiced eye - they have definitely lost a big portion of my respect.

Banned
    A refund was the eventual outcome of my experience with Marlin in the early 90's. I bought a '94 in 44Mag and it had a bulge in the barrel where the dovetail slot that attached the forend to the barrel was cut. Two trips back, one to replace the bbl, which wasn't done and another when they replaced the barrel but left grind marks and no bluing on the bolt was too much for me. After much run a round I called the company President at his house and talked to his wife. She was very pleasent and concerned and after that things started happening. I had requested a refund and payment for the receiver sight I bought. They sent me a check for the amount I asked and asked me to send the gun back when I got around to it. I have not bought another gun from them and I most likely will not ever do so.

Boolit Master
    I would like to know how much of their revolver business is with cast boolit shooters.
    I'm hopeing their revolver sales will decrease as a result of their unsuitable bbls, but I doubt it.

Has anybody else seen the same lousy bbls on a recent new purchase as Castblaster?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    I would like to know how much of their revolver business is with cast boolit shooters.
    I'm hopeing their revolver sales will decrease as a result of their unsuitable bbls, but I doubt it.

Has anybody else seen the same lousy bbls on a recent new purchase as Castblaster?

Yes. A S&W 327 Performance Center TRR8. The key words here being performance center. I sold it and am now buying a Ruger.

Well you "took on for the team" with your experience. I am sorry you had to put up with the angst, but we all learned something and are grateful to you for the knowledge.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Bought a new 625 5" around 2005, it shoots cast very well. Got a 45 PB gas check maker on order from Pat. I hope the PB gas checks shrink the groups more. But it doesn't out shoot my custom built 45 ACP's.

Boolit Bub
    I bougth a new with lock. 629 this year and my barrel doesnt look like his and mine does shoot my cast boolits well.

Boolit Buddy

Have you posted this on the Smith & Wesson forum? I'd be interested to see the reaction over there.