RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 500 s&w x frame

First off I am a big bore fan too. I LOVE big booms and big recoil. I have the .460 and had - past tense - the .500 X frame. It remains THE only handgun that I have ever fired that bruised the palm of my hand. The classic S&W grip frame is not ideal for massive handgun recoil. I'd much rather shoot full house loads in a BFR or SRH or FA 83 - I'm actually most partial to the Ruger Bisley grip than any other - over the S&W.

If you want one, get one! It is the biggest revolver any of us are likely to ever own. Just don't forget that you can download it so that you can actually shoot it and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a shooting glove when you do!

FWIW the .460 recoil is entirely different. Even shooting heavier bullets than the hotrod 200gr pointy ones, it is not the same as the .500 S&W. Listen to Whitworth, 44Man and Subsonic. They have forgotten more about big bore shooting than I shall ever know. The other posters I simply don't know.

I'l parrot the advice on the Ultra Dot. Mine has held up to both X frames just fine!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Listen to Whitworth, 44Man and Subsonic. They have forgotten more about big bore shooting than I shall ever know. The other posters I simply don't know.
    Thank you, but I'm a newbie compared to the other fellows mentioned and I'm sure there are many others that have much more experience with the big guns than I do.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both the 6.5" and 8-3/8" S&W500. I tend to shoot my 8-3/8" more...

I made my decision 8 3/8 barrel. I hope to pick it up tonight. I will post pictures if I do. I know everyone knows what they look like but you will be able to see the beaming smile on my ugly mug.

Boolit Bub
    I picked up the regular 4" and 8" barreled 500s, then I compared trigger pull and action to the performance center version.

Much Much Much smoother action on the performance center, and way crisper trigger break in single action mode.

Needless to say I bought the 7.5" barreled performance center version, and it has been a great gun.

I thought the 7.5" also balanced better in my hands than the 8" version for open sight alignment.

Boolit Master

I sold my 4" S&W 500 and regret it still but will wait and get one of John Ross's 5" which would be a perfect packin gun. I do still have my 6.5 and my 10 1/2" PC and they both shoot excellent.
    For pig hunting with a hot load that has light recoil for a 500 I go with my 385gr HP/FP mold, will do 1600 comfortably. I use to shoot these out of my 4" rapid fire.
    They will all shoot as good as you can and if you stick to a 350-450gr like the new NOE mold from John Ross's design you wont go wrong.