WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazing stop!

Boolit Master
    Longwood, you need to pay more attention. Notice that the buffalo went down after the first shot. I would say he did a fine job with shot placement as he was able to get CNS (on the first shot).
    Last edited by Whitworth; 02-18-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Semper Fidelis

Boolit Grand Master
    "Killed" two buffalo? With a spear?

No doubt after hazing it around for a while before it finally succumbed, or having been shot previously and finishing it off. If the spear was like Lynn's, the point shape and heft mean the animal will live a great while after being struck, even vitally.

A stunt? Certainly. For a starving native, necessary. For a fat white guy, a stunt exhibiting poor judgement.

The criticism is heartily deserved and appropriate. This should hardly be surprising to anyone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    "Killed" two buffalo? With a spear?

No doubt after hazing it around for a while before it finally succumbed, or having been shot previously and finishing it off. If the spear was like Lynn's, the point shape and heft mean the animal will live a great while after being struck, even vitally.

A stunt? Certainly. For a starving native, necessary. For a fat white guy, a stunt exhibiting poor judgement.

The criticism is heartily deserved and appropriate. This should hardly be surprising to anyone.
    Yes, killed two buff with a spear -- that is what they were hunting with in Australia. Like hunting with a stick and string, or any other weapon, sometimes animals succomb quickly, sometimes not so much. But, since we weren't there.....

Again, do you hunt with a spear? Just curious.

One man's opinion, nothing more, nothing less, and worth what we paid for it (as well as mine). We can agree to disagree.

Yet more Monday morning quarterbacking, and sniping from your armchair.
    Last edited by Whitworth; 02-18-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Semper Fidelis

Boolit Grand Master

The spear has enough power to stick in a very hard horn so it probably would have gotten to the vitals if it hit in the right spot.
    He did the right thing IMO by circling the termite mound and firing his revolver. He did not freeze or fire wildly so he has some big ones.

Not something I would do anymore, but maybe in my younger, impulsive days. I guess this is what makes life exciting for some people.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    The spear has enough power to stick in a very hard horn so it probably would have gotten to the vitals if it hit in the right spot.
    He did the right thing IMO by circling the termite mound and firing his revolver. He did not freeze or fire wildly so he has some big ones.

Not something I would do anymore, but maybe in my younger, impulsive days. I guess this is what makes life exciting for some people.

Exactly. Everyone picks everything apart from the comfort of their own homes.
    Semper Fidelis

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kenjuudo View Post
    Paleo people used sticks and stone against alot larger meals than that or went hungry.

jim
    And hunted in packs, and suffered a LOT of rodeo clown type injuries

Boolit Master
    Those of you who have never seen or used a spear for anything NEED to understand that a spear packs tremndous kinetic energy any has more than enough force to punch though a buff like that, with the proper throw in the proper place. The design of these spears does not usually permit a pass-through. However if you compare the force and cutting area of one of these spears to a modern broadhead on a skinny little carbon arrow that weighs next to nothing you may be supprised at how effective a spear is compared to a modern and archery rig that is commonly accepted to ethicly take game. I might add that i do not own a Cold Steel spear, i use what i have made myself because i can't afford it (not because of some macho trip about making it myself)
    That said, I stand by the fact that it was poor judgement to take that throw, and give a millon armchair experts ammo against spears.
    And come on guys, this isn't a moon landing/ JFK conspirasy theory, as near as i can tell he shot the bull himself and had an instant kill with his first shot. He made a few excuses but he got himself out of the situation with no outside help and used his big bore in a totally safe mannor.
    I am 19 and i weigh 145 lb's but you don't hear me calling anybody fat or out of shape, he moved when he had to and was good with his backup.
    Not smart, didn't make those of us who hunt with spears look good, but he made the best of it.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

I think I am going to get one of those spears

I was impressed. Reason I posted it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post

Bravo

Aw come on! It is nice to see someone work out of a bind with a handgun every once in a while. I know nothing of spear hunting, so I can't comment on his "technique" and weather he goofed or not. He didn't hesitate when it counted with the revolver. How many of us would have came out the same?

Boolit Master
    aw come on! It is nice to see someone work out of a bind with a handgun every once in a while. I know nothing of spear hunting, so i can't comment on his "technique" and weather he goofed or not. He didn't hesitate when it counted with the revolver. How many of us would have came out the same?

+1.......

Boolit Master

I have the cold steel boar spear, and it is anything but a timid wimpy weapon. Given a choice; I think I might rather be shot than have this thing in me. Hopefully I'll never find out.

The cold steel video is lots of fun with friends and beer.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    Why in the hell is this so polarizing? Lynn Thompson's company, Cold Steel, produces those spears. He wanted to use one on a water buffalo. The throw wasn't girlie, the buffalo moved, the shot blocked, and from a mere few feet away, it came for him. In the interim, he managed to draw that rifle-like 7 1/2-inch SRH, and hit the buff in the head with the first shot. It was reflexive, and it stopped the charge. He emptied the revolver reflexively -- as I would have after soiling myself. Lynn is one of the best revolver shots I have ever seen. What is so controversial about it? As soon as it hits the internet, all of the critics who "would have done it differently" -- for sure, come out of the woodwork. No offense meant to anyone here, but look at the masterful reaction to the screw up -- and it was a screw up even according to Lynn (and I have talked to him about this), but his shooting and training successfully took over. He stopped the buff from running his backside over.
    Been watching this for a while and Whit is 100% correct.
    I have one of Lynn's spears and I am going to tell you it takes extreme effort to reach a bale of hay at 10 yards.
    I have his video showing him stick a spear in a foam pig from a tree stand at unreal distances.
    That spear is deadly and would have no problem penetrating through the animal. The buf seen the movement and turned his head. THAT IS ALL!
    I will tell you that any one of us here would throw their shoulder out of joint trying to reach 20 yards with that thing.
    It is Lynn's business and he knows what he is doing.

Banned

It is fun but you might need 10 years to build your arm up!
    I still shoot an 82# bow but that thing tries to ruin me.

Boolit Grand Master

A few points from another middle-aged fat guy. First, Cold Steel sells an excellent product and I've seen their spears, I have no doubt the weapon was up to the job at hand. Second, our hero has quite the set of stones and I admire him for that. His quarry was just a little quicker and luckier than he planned on. Lastly, he had an excellent "plan B" and executed it better than most of us could have. It wasn't graceful, it wasn't pretty, but it worked and nobody got hurt.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Like many of you, I've watched the video closely, a number of times. Everyone seems to be talking about the action involving the spear and of course that is very important in the video. I believe only one other poster spoke of it but if you watch and listen closely there was a mild report before the guy cleared his holster. I believe that may have come from someone with a rifle who was backing the guy up. I haven't been able to pick up any signs of a hit on the buffalo but in the next instant the guy has his .454 out and fires the first of 4 shots. The buffalo went down instantly. So the guy hit the buffalo in a seriously vital spot. That Buffalo went down from that single shot or maybe, just maybe, the combination of a rifle shot and the shot from the .454

Why the 2nd, 3rd and 4th shots were fired puzzles me. Okay, I'll give him the 2nd shot but why the 3rd and 4th, which come two or three seconds later, with no movement from the Buffalo?

I keep looking at the video because something just isn't right about what I am seeing vs what I am hearing but I cannot put it together. Anyway, that's just me.
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

Boolit Master
    I just don't get the conspirisy theory ideas. What was there to hide? The buff is dead no matter how we slice it!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Banned

In that situation I would be shooting until the gun was empty too.
    Even a knock down can be shock and that animal could have come right back up.
    I prefer doing that shooting in a video game.

Boolit Master

I think this thread is helpful and useful, because if Obama is reelected, we will all be using those spears....
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Buddy
    Lyn is not well regarded among knife makers....