Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Sprue plate screw on NOE mould

Boolit Buddy

Sprue plate screw on NOE mould

The sprue plate screws backs out on my 230gr NOE mould. I tighten it and every time move the sprue plate the screw back out.

This mould casts such nice boolits except for this annoying screw issue. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

Pauli

Boolit Grand Master

Did you tighten the set screw that holds the sprue plate screw in place? If that is tight then I would shoot Al a PM and ask for suggestions.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Did you tighten the set screw that holds the sprue plate screw in place? If that is tight then I would shoot Al a PM and ask for suggestions.

Rick
    If you have enough room drill and tap to put an additional set in to lock the the sprue plate screw in place.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't really want to do any drilling or tapping on a new mould...

I guess I'll just keep tightening the screw when casting...

Made in U.S.A.
    Paulinski

To adjust the sprue plate screw do the following.
    Check the small horizontal set screw to confirm that it is loose.
    Do not try to move the vertical sprue plate screw if the set screw in not loose.
    You can and will damage the sprue plate screw.
    With the set screw loose adjust the sprue plate screw so the sprue plate swings
    free with just a small amount of resistance, This will change as your mould heats up
    and you may have to change it as you cast to find that happy medium.

After you have adjusted the sprue plate screw tighten the horizontal set screw to hold it in place.
    Just snug the screw up so you don't damage the sprue plate screw.

If by chance this doesn't work for you please get back to me and we will get you taken care of.
    This is also a very good time to use some sprue plate lube to keep things moving smooth.

Drilling a new hole is not necessary.

Swede Nelson
    Last edited by SwedeNelson; 02-27-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info Swede. I'll check that tonight.

Boolit Master

I might add to that - cut a very small piece of solid copper wire, maybe 12 ga - and drop the little copper "plug" in the lock screw hole. Then insert and tighten the locking screw. This will keep the lock screw from damaging the sprue plate screw. I think RCBS actually does this. They use a nice little flat piece of copper, I assume. Whatever it is, it works. I used to use lead shot for this job, however, the lead will melt and allow things to loosen up. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Got everything set.

Thanks everyone...

Banned

oooooooooooooo, I like the pictures!

Boolit Master
    That is NOE not Lee, and they think of most everything, installing that set screw is required on Lee products, most all their products.

Boolit Buddy
    Casted this evening - adjusted to sprue plate screw as Swede indicated and it worked like a charm.

Now I have a bunch of beautiful 230gr boolits to lube / size.

Boolit Bub
    The copper wire suggested by captaint is a good idea. I use lead shot under set screws on other things, but I didn't know what to use on mold set screws. The copper sounds like just the thing to prevent screw damage.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester, VA, but I'm from the better Virginia...WEST Virginia
    I'm impressed; less than an hour and a half after the problem was brought up the manufacturer himself popped up and fixed it.

Coincidentally he fixed mine too, and I barely realized there was a problem!

I'm even more pleased with my new NOE now.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    I might add to that - cut a very small piece of solid copper wire, maybe 12 ga - and drop the little copper "plug" in the lock screw hole. Then insert and tighten the locking screw. This will keep the lock screw from damaging the sprue plate screw. I think RCBS actually does this. They use a nice little flat piece of copper, I assume. Whatever it is, it works. I used to use lead shot for this job, however, the lead will melt and allow things to loosen up. enjoy Mike
    just an FYI,
    Saeco molds use a small brass plug...The one RCBS mold I reconditioned didn't have any type of plug, not saying they don't use one.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    The one RCBS mold I reconditioned didn't have any type of plug, not saying they don't use one. Jon
    Yes, RCBS does use a brass plug, if ya call and ask them they will send ya some.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    RCBS does use the brass plug, They sent me one for free along with the new, thicker and free sprue plate for an old mold.
    By the way, why did no one suggest grinding/filing a flat on the pivot screw for the set screw to engage? I end up doing that on all my Lyman moulds.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Irascible: how do you guarantee that you won't need to move the screw at some time in the future, and the flat won't clock right....

Banned

just grind another flat.