Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotshell Reloads Paid Off

Banned

Shotshell Reloads Paid Off

Here's a snap shot of a Crow I got with my 12 gauge reloads. I'm using some 12 gauge high brass hull pickups from the local shooting range. 26 grains of Hodgdon "Clays" powder. The #7/8 Reclaim lead shot from RotoMetals. The primers are #97 shotshell primers from Remington. My wife lets me use her Mossberg 500.

I reloaded a box of 25 shotshells for Crow hunting since the local stores don't sell anything worth owning here in Southern Maryland. I like to reach out and touch these Crows, but, I can't get it done with the light loads the local stores sell. I would like to fine some #6 shot.
    Last edited by DODGEM250; 10-06-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Well done that man!!
    Wish my wife had a Rem 500.
    or maybe not.

Cast Hunter

Nice! Using a MEC reloader?

Banned
    Here's another one I got this morning. Today is the last day of the season here in Maryland so this might be the last one until August 15, 2012 when the season comes back in.

I'm taking my nephew out this afternoon for the end of season hoorah.
    Last edited by DODGEM250; 10-06-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    Nice! Using a MEC reloader?
    Using a Lee Load-All II

I've priced them all and Lee was the best choice. I have both the 12 and 20 gauge presses.

Boolit Master

Our crow season here ended almost two weeks ago. I only went once but I sure enjoyed it. I am going to get some decoys and get ready for next season. It was really fun even though I only got one. When they come into the call they really come in. It could be additive I'm afraid.

Boolit Master
    Congrats, where I am you can shoot crows anytime, no season, yet Ravens are protected, same bird only bigger.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Our crow season here ended almost two weeks ago. I only went once but I sure enjoyed it. I am going to get some decoys and get ready for next season. It was really fun even though I only got one. When they come into the call they really come in. It could be additive I'm afraid.
    Get yourself a crow caller setup and at least 6 decoys and you'll be set. Use full camo or a ground blind and don't move when they come in, let them get right over you and then let them have it.

My crow caller is an old car cassette deck mounted in a wooden box I made ot carry the calls, cassettes, CD's, shotshells, etc, running off of a 12V car battery with a 8x4 PA horn speaker. The system is plenty loud and the battery will last all day.

If you leave the field with only one crow, the trip paid for itself. Our Crow populations are way down here in Maryland due to a disease a few years ago. Numbers are climbing again however.

If you hunt over an open field, use a four sided ground blind and plant yourself right in the middle of the field about 20-30 yards from your decoy setup. Spread 3-4 decoys far about and use 3-4 in a small group tight to some fake roadkill like they are feeding on something and use the Crow Frenzy tape and get ready.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I used to shoot them, I ended up loading mag 2's. Too many times I just rattled #4's off their feathers. Could really reach out and "touch em" with the mag 2's

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Congrats, where I am you can shoot crows anytime, no season, yet Ravens are protected, same bird only bigger.
    I wish Maryland would omit the 1918 federal law here (Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918). We were good until 1972 when the law was amended to include Crows.

However, Crows are a Federally protected migratory species and are only allowed to be hunted in any state no more than 124 days in any calender year. No state in the U.S. has a 365 day season on Crows. If you assume this in your state, you better dig into your states laws because no state is year-round on Crows. See #2 and #3, otherwise you are breaking the law.

Additional information:

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act was enacted, principally, between Great Britain (for Canada) and the United States and was intended to give Federal protection to most birds in the United States but did not include crows or other birds in the Corvidae family. Various treaties were made with different countries and in 1936 the Migratory Bird and Game Mammal Treaty with Mexico was adopted. This protected certain migratory birds in the U.S. and Mexico and amended the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. The Treaty was further amended on March 10, 1972. This amendment finally added 32 additional families of birds including eagles, hawks, owls and the Corvidae family…which includes the crow species.

Therefore, crow hunting regulations are handled differently and are subject to different restrictions than hunting regulations for other birds. Crows are not considered a game bird and Corvidae is not included in the list of families under the definition of game bird. However, there are two provisions specifically for taking crows under Federal regulations (50 CFR Parts 20 and 21).
    Section 20.133 provides States with the opportunity to set sport-hunting seasons without notifying the service. These seasons must comply with certain restrictions:

1. Crows shall not be hunted from aircraft.
    2. The hunting season or seasons on crows shall not exceed a total of 124 days during a calendar year
    3. Hunting shall not be permitted during the peak crow nesting period within a State and
    4. Crows may only be taken by firearms, bow and arrow and falconry

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    When I used to shoot them, I ended up loading mag 2's. Too many times I just rattled #4's off their feathers. Could really reach out and "touch em" with the mag 2's
    I started using some left over steel #4 from my waterfowl hunting this year about 3 weeks ago. Problem is that steel **** we have to use now for waterfowl is no good for shooting anything.

The #7/8 reclaimed shot I bought from RotoMetals is good, but, it's a tad small for Crows. I would love to have some #6 or #5 to reload, but, I have 20 pounds of this reclaimed stuff yet.

Besides it's now summer, today is the last day for Crow here, and I'll use up the reclaim stuff for clay targets.

The reason I reload my own for Crow is simply that the commercial stuff lacks "BANG" I want to be able to get up there about 50-60 yards and spice them before they hit the ground. The commercial shotshells just don't do it. My reloads with the 26 grains of Clays makes a bang.

Boolit Buddy
    Why bother to shoot crows?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by michael30.06 View Post
    Well done that man!!
    Wish my wife had a Rem 500.
    or maybe not.
    I have a Remington 870 20 gauge...
    she has the Mossberg 500 12 gauge

I have a 17HMR revolver...
    she has a .357 Mag revolver

Sad ain't it... LOL

Banned

#4 1 oz steel shot loads at 17-1800 fps isn't anything to sneeze at.......
    45-50 yd shots on a crow should be a slam dunk with it.
    even #5 lead pushed along at 14-1500 will put them down that far out.
    you need to research shotshell loads a little bit better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    #4 1 oz steel shot loads at 17-1800 fps isn't anything to sneeze at.......
    45-50 yd shots on a crow should be a slam dunk with it.
    even #5 lead pushed along at 14-1500 will put them down that far out.
    you need to research shotshell loads a little bit better.
    It's ok, I'm not ignorant of shotshells. Been using them for 30+ years. Again, this is why I reloaded my own, to get what I wanted out of the shotshell. Ask just about any waterfowler and they'll tell you same thing, the new steel shot regulations is a joke. Commercial shotshells are a joke, good for shooting clays and Dove. I am also not new to Crow hunting, been doing it since I was a kid.

Boolit Master

Dodgem250: Thanks for the set up info. The old car player is a good idea. I have a couple of mouth calls. They each sound a little different. They seemed to work because when me and my buddy started calling in they came and in a hurry. It was over all too quick. We were stationed under some cedar limbs and in full camo, so they didn't see us. I am sure they did spot us at our first set up because they came in so quick we weren't ready. They have extremely sharp vision apparently. We were using some pheasant loads. The one I shot really wasn't that far off the ground and it came right down and landed about 5 yards from me. I had planned to get about six decoys.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Dodgem250: Thanks for the set up info. The old car player is a good idea. I have a couple of mouth calls. They each sound a little different. They seemed to work because when me and my buddy started calling in they came and in a hurry. It was over all too quick. We were stationed under some cedar limbs and in full camo, so they didn't see us. I am sure they did spot us at our first set up because they came in so quick we weren't ready. They have extremely sharp vision apparently. We were using some pheasant loads. The one I shot really wasn't that far off the ground and it came right down and landed about 5 yards from me. I had planned to get about six decoys.
    They do ave very good vision. They are like hawks, they see a field mouse from a mile away. If the come in a group they are more often "stupid" and don't pay much attention to surroundings if there are decoys on the ground. If one comes alone, he is very weary.

Early morning is the best hunting, be set up and ready to shoot before the Twilight starts. Crows come off of roost right at the start of twilight and they fly lower at this time. When the Sunrise starts they start flying higher. By 8:30 - 9 AM the game is over, they have gone to their day hangout and they are tough to pursued off of that tree.

As for decoys I would suggest 6-8 regular size decoys. There are some "over-sized" decoys out there, but, the Crows know the difference in the size. Also you want to make the decoys have some motion as well.

The best investment I have made is the Air Wings, you have got to buy a couple sets of these and install them on at least 2 of your decoys. Also consider adding 1-2 of the spread wing "flying" decoys and mount these on poles. As for calling tapes, look to a "Crow Frenzy" tape like this Western Rivers 593 Mity Call Crow Distress
    Of course you can use a less power draining CD player as well and simply buy Crow Call CDs instead of cassette tapes.

This is the new speaker I just bought to replace my old, smaller, speaker: PHSP5 8'' Indoor / Outdoor 65 Watt PA Horn Speaker

Crow calling is an art just like Duck / Goose. Electronic calls are fine BUT, you have to remember to talk "to" them and not "at" them.A mouth call talks to them. Tapes and CD's talk at them. They learn quick what is real and what is really fake.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DODGEM250 View Post
    It's ok, I'm not ignorant of shotshells. Been using them for 30+ years. Again, this is why I reloaded my own, to get what I wanted out of the shotshell. Ask just about any waterfowler and they'll tell you same thing, the new steel shot regulations is a joke. Commercial shotshells are a joke, good for shooting clays and Dove. I am also not new to Crow hunting, been doing it since I was a kid.
    everybody looks at the steel regulations as a problem.
    they aren't new b.t.w. they have been testing steel since the 70's.
    the steel regulations have actually been a good thing for shotgunning,it has lead to more development in 15 years than anything else has ever done for the sport. [except the plastic hull/wad]
    i doubt anybody ever missed a crossing duck by leading it untill the high vel steel loads were used.
    the factory cheap fodder is just that cheap,to buy, and to make.
    quality loads take time,effort,and testing.
    when you can roll a coyote at 70 yds with a shotgun,it is because of the junky "steel" loads.
    lead shot isn't the top dog anymore [except in price]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    everybody looks at the steel regulations as a problem.
    they aren't new b.t.w. they have been testing steel since the 70's.
    the steel regulations have actually been a good thing for shotgunning,it has lead to more development in 15 years than anything else has ever done for the sport. [except the plastic hull/wad]
    i doubt anybody ever missed a crossing duck by leading it untill the high vel steel loads were used.
    the factory cheap fodder is just that cheap,to buy, and to make.
    quality loads take time,effort,and testing.
    when you can roll a coyote at 70 yds with a shotgun,it is because of the junky "steel" loads.
    lead shot isn't the top dog anymore [except in price]
    and... back to Crow hunting with reloaded lead shotshells...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PanaDP View Post
    Why bother to shoot crows?
    Why bother to shoot anything ? Food, population control. Not here to debate why we shoot them. Save that for a PETA thread. annnnnnd... back to Crow hunting with reloaded lead shotshells...