Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky

Thread: 9.3x74R

Boolit Mold

9.3x74R

Hello,

This is my first post although but I've 'lurked' for many years.

First off there is more than enough good information here to get me going with PP'ing for smokeless - really straight forward and informative Cheers!

One thing though I would like to ask. I'm looking at a double in 9.3x74R which would be shot most of the time using only one barrel but it would be good to have the capability to load both if needs be.

So my question is will I be able to achieve enough 'grip' on a PP bullets without resorting to crimping to stop the second chambered bullet moving? And do you think that accuracy will remain with this level of neck tension?

I'm quite familiar with casting and can if necessary make a selection of tips for an M type expander die if it resorts to a 'suck it and see' method.

Thanks Terry

Welcome aboard, TerryH.

I'm sure about your question but magazine fed cartridges seem to work Ok. What I've found with printer paper is that it grips the brass pretty well with a little compression of the paper only. Not so with note pad paper that requires a more precise fit. I would be guessing that the recoil of the 9.3x74R would be more of a push than a kick which will have less tendency to dislodge the boolit. But I would use Dacron fill just in case it does dislodge the boolit (you don't want the powder spilling out).

The second barrel would shoot to a different POI anyway unless you were able to regulate the load to bring the two close together. Point being that that a small loss of accuracy from tightening the neck might be moot.

Something I have done is seat a boolit in an unsized neck that was actually a contact fit in the chamber. What this does is squeeze the neck a little tighter on the boolit since the boolit expands the neck slightly and this grips the boolit pretty good. The problem is every time you open the breach that cartridge gets drawn out some and that may require a free-er fit. But you only only need to get it just perfect for that one chamber with just a few cartridges.

Hope that helps.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    You may be able to seat the bullets out to touch the origin of the rifling depending on the throating and or throat erosion, then they can't jump. Some of my rifles will only shoot well with cast bullets when the bullets are seated this way.

Some folks have achieved regulation on doubles with cast bullets so it can be done.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Hi Terry , the 9,3x74R it's good caliber for hunting and with enough recoil to pull out the bullet , with paper patch you can't do a roll crimp , you need to stack with two or three punches around the neck .

Also you need to drop freely the cartridges on the chamber or the action don't close , it mean full resizing and not the bullet touching the lands , a trick to avoid pulling , it's to change the cartidges on reloading it mean if you use a SXS and fire right barrel pick up the left cartridge and drop on right chamber , it mean the left round always it's a fresh one and don't be pulled by repetitive firings .

You can try a .358 rifle mould , as this is usually the bore of the .366 barrel

saludos

Daniel

I reload 9.3x74R with PP bullets for my Ruger No.1. I apply just enough crimp to remove the flare from expanding to allow easy chambering. I think the same procedure would work for a double rifle.

The neck grip on the boolit does depend on the patch paper used. Printer paper (the cheap kind) seems to grip the best.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''