Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice sub sonic 22RF ammo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Peters/Remington years ago made great target ammo
    - I don't know where the subsonic's come from now,
    but I don't buy them unless I can't get something I prefer.
    Artful,

The RP ammo plant is one of my customers. "Someone" there told me that he felt the quality of their rimfire ammo went down when they stopped manufacturing their own rimfire priming compound.

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    Artful,

The RP ammo plant is one of my customers. "Someone" there told me that he felt the quality of their rimfire ammo went down when they stopped manufacturing their own rimfire priming compound.
    Excuses, excuses.

Their weight variance alone shows that their overall process control is horrible, so far as the versions I've evaluated are concerned. Thunderbolt often has a weight variance of 3 or 4 whole grains over 100 rounds. Good ammo like CCI Minimags and Auto Match vary a couple or three tenths of a grain. Priming may contribute a bunch to the poor quality of Remington ammo, but even with perfect priming that weight variance alone would make it shoot patterns and not groups.

Going "outside" for a key component is usually a bean-counter decision. GM was almost destroyed in the late '80s by a bean-counter (Lopez) who insisted on cheapening the engine block castings. The iron in them was so bad that all the engines needed ring jobs at under 100K miles. While by 1995 they had gotten rid of Lopez and changed back to good iron, their reputation still suffers. Today they make better engines than the Japanese can do on their best day, but nobody believes it. Hell, I was there. Saw it all. Burned the T-shirt.

Remington is run by a big conglomerate of bean counters, as we know. . . .
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I can give you direct experience on the priming compound only little "pointy heads"
    I never had a problem shooting them out of a match chamber 14" Contender.
    Very first shot in a 20" rifle and it failed to exit, stuck at about the 17" point.

I have read of several instances of this.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    CCI standard velocity. Quiet, cheap (if bought in bulk) and accurate.

http://www.championshooters.com/stor...cat=285&page=1

Boolit Buddy
    Even out in the country neighbors respond badly to 22 LR gunfire at night. And that is, of course, exactly the time when one usually has problems with critters like opossum and such. Finally got it well handled. Had an High Standard M106 in the safe that I bought more than 40 years ago and never got a lot of use. Could not bear to hack on the original barrel, so ordered a new one from Brownell's and had it threaded while I waited for a Form 4 to be approved by the BATFE. Here is the result:

With CCI SV standard velocity ammo and the Bower's Paradigm can it shoots quarter sized groups at 40 yards. We no longer bug the neighbors dealing with critters.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by troy_mclure View Post
    Just shot cci cb long and cci quiet. I filled the cylinder mo my single six with 3 of each randomly placed. You could not tell the difference by loudness, but the cci. Quiet is slightly " deeper" sounding, and the poi is about 2" lower than the cb at 50'.
    The colbri and super colbri are both quieter, but not as accurate, the SSS is a bit louder, but not so loud you can't hear the bullet smack the target.
    Btw the cb short and cb long both had the same poi out of my gun.
    Your not going to get quiet out of a revolver. even a pistol is gonna be louder than a rifle. You need a closed chamber the best would be a rifle with a longer barrel.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    Artful,

I am 60 years old I shot the Remington Golden bullets back in the 60's and early 70's and even back then I had misfires with them. I quit buying Remington bullets for that reason back then and never went back. UNTIL a couple of years ago I ran into some bricks of Thunderbolt at a rummage sale for 10 dollars a brick. I bought three of them this was at the time that rimfire ammo was selling for about 35 dollars a brick. I felt for 10 dollars it was worth it even for a few misfires. Funny thing is I have not had one misfire yet. I was surprised. Not that I would buy more if I could get other ammo for the same going price but this Thunderbolt has not treated me bad and has been accurate enough through my Marlin 80 I have been shooting it up at my Silhouette matches.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Quote Originally Posted by mstarling View Post
    Even out in the country neighbors respond badly to 22 LR gunfire at night. And that is, of course, exactly the time when one usually has problems with critters like opossum and such. Finally got it well handled. Had an High Standard M106 in the safe that I bought more than 40 years ago and never got a lot of use. Could not bear to hack on the original barrel, so ordered a new one from Brownell's and had it threaded while I waited for a Form 4 to be approved by the BATFE. Here is the result:

With CCI SV standard velocity ammo and the Bower's Paradigm can it shoots quarter sized groups at 40 yards. We no longer bug the neighbors dealing with critters.
    Nice looking setup - it's a shame we have to jump thru so many .gov hoops to be considerate of our hearing and our neighbor's peace and quiet.

Boolit Master

Well local gun shop has 3 boxes they claim of Quiet yet so I told them hang on to them I will take all three boxes tomorrow and I will try them out Sat.

I've had great luck with Aguila Super Extra Subsonic out of my Savage MkII FV-SR. It is accurate, and even without the suppressor it is pretty quiet. I have the rifle zeroed at 50 yards, it hit POA at 100 yards I have to run my (1/4 MOA per click) scope up 30 clicks.

I've never had a failure to fire with Aguila, but I have yet to run any over the chronograph to see how consistent they are. I will say that with the accuracy I am getting I think they are likely pretty consistent.
    "The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Landric

Honcho for NOE .38-200 Mk. I British Round Nose Group Buy

Boolit Master

The CCI Quiet is awesome stuff and accurate and you do not have to adjust your sights from LR.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to be a kiil-joy, but the .22 LR is marginal for groundhogs. I've killed them with a .22, and people will still be shooting them for the forseeable future, but it's not really a humane way to shoot them.

Aim for the eye, or if facing away, the base of the skull. Don't try body shots.