Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Resizing 20 bullets/Minute

Boolit Bub

Resizing 20 bullets/Minute

High speed resizing for only $4.00. Turn the press upside down and drop the bullet in the hole. It's a lot harder to hit the hole than you think. Using Lee push through dies. old Lyman c press. slide the bullets ina bucket.
    http://youtu.be/3xYkgeAMoBY
    Hope you can make sense out of the video.
    I can do 20 a minute for nearly 2 minutes.
    Cracker Engineering at it's finest.

Boolit Master

Yikes!

I have always said some reloaders are more interested in the process than the result.

That is a LOT of trouble for 20 bullets a minute. Did you mis-count?

I routinely size 30 to 35 a minute with a right-side-up press.

Admittedly, it does take a little preparation to get every thing lined up before starting. And this does not include emptying the Lee bullet catcher and replacing it on the die.

And of course, I don't pick up the dropped ones till the end.

Last edited by williamwaco; 06-05-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I like it.........stimulates my creative juices.

Might have a suggestion though........rather than have the left pvc pipe to turn/guide the boolit from the right pipe, why not put a spring loaded flap on the right pipe? Boolit feeds down, strikes sheet metal flap and turns downward into die, ram comes down pushing pipe and flap unit to the right, exposing boolit sitting in die and rams it down. Pipe and flap swing back into position when ram is lifted. Make sense? (probably not)

Boolit Bub
    Both tubes are bullet feeds. I just did 9000 or so. and you have to switch back and forth. I'm 59 and the arthritis and bad joints are already here. Next time I set it up. I'll mount the press lower for less shoulder strain.
    Mike

I like it!. Put a motor on it. No pinched fingers anymore. Will it do rifle CBs? I think I'd try it with a U channel, stopper at the end and a hole for the ram.

Boolit Master
    I like the idea.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Boolit Grand Master

Rube Goldberg is alive and sizing bullets...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Hello to all.
    Very Nice Idea.
    Ciao
    Nino

Vendor Sponsor

I love stuff like this! This guys was thinking and came up with a method that is beyond the norm.

Great job!

randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Just how long did it take you to develop this ? will the plans be for sale for do-ityourselfer's or will you be manufacturing the units for sale ?
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-07-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    I don't know what advantage this is, they still aren't lubed, why not just use a Star?? It's faster and the bullets are lubed??

why not just use a Star?
    Not everyone can afford a star.

Boolit Master
    So you go fast and then the bullets have to be lubed?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I don't know what advantage this is, they still aren't lubed, why not just use a Star?? It's faster and the bullets are lubed??
    Not knocking what you did but your time has to be worth something. Twenty bullets sized in a minute is not a major accomplishment by any means. I suggest that you save your money and purchase a used Star which will size and lube on the same cycle. This press can also be easily adapted to air activation which would work well with your tired body.

Boolit Grand Master
    I prefer my Star over a setup like that. I will say this, I like the fact you found a way to keep your finger away from the punch. I tend to not race with my Star out of fear of sizing something that bleeds!

Interesting idea. I applaud the innovation and desire to come up with something based on what you have on hand.

Boolit Grand Master

I read a lot of these posts saying this method is worthless, and unless the bullet drops out of the machine ready to load, the whole process is a total waste of time. B.S.! Tomuchiron had an idea, put it to use, and shared it with us, and you guys belitttle the idea telling him to buy a Star, as if the idea had no merit at all. I think Tomuchiron's type of thinking is what advances out hobby beyond waiting to see what one of the big manufacturers have decided we need for our reloading. If some of you think your time has such value, you shouldn't waste your time doing any reloading task; purchase bullets ready to load, or just buy factory ammo...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I never said it was a waste of time, it was quite ingenius in fact, if that's what the poster likes to do, more power to him, I'd like to see more of his ideas. My reply was more for newbies, and I didn't want them to think that this is the latest and fastest method of lubing and sizing bullets, many folks new to casting only know Lee products, and may think that this is it, euphoria! Never having experienced a Star or even a Lyman/RCBS luber/sizer. I for one would never have time to shoot all my guns if I had to use such slow processes, as this push through method and pan lubing or tumble lubing and then waiting 24 hrs. or for the wax to melt and harden again....

Banned
    mdi,

You have your opinion and I have mine. You are entitled to yours as I am mine. To me 20 bullets are a waste of time. I do however applaud his idea as being interesting and with merit if you own that type of machine. I will suggest that instead of going half cocked you blast me personally in a private message. That I could respect.

Boolit Bub
    I like it. Thinking outside the box.

Boolit Master

I for one think it's very innovative. If everybody did everything the same way life would be boring.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"