Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady LnL vs Dillon XL650?

Boolit Mold

Hornady LnL vs Dillon XL650?

Sell me on one or the other, please.

The half step indexing seems attractive to me. And I like the die bushing concept.

But Dillon has the better warranty. But it seems like you do pay for it.

How good is the LnL case feed system? How finicky is priming?

I've heard the LnL was hinky about case ejection in early models; how well has the EZ-Ject worked to fix that?

Boolit Master

IMO i prefer non indexing semi progressive reloading presses. like the Dillon 550, however from my experince I would go with Dillon presses over the Horndays

You may have started another REDvsBLUE forest fire.

But to answer your question, the eject system on the new LNLs works great.
    Read up on the posts about both machines. There is no shortage.

The primer system on the LNL uses gravity feed primer tubes like the Dillon. If you have a problem with the LNL system it will be on the feed stroke of the little shuttle that places the primer over the punch. Keep it clean, smooth any rough edges if you have them, and it works. Can't comment on the Dillon, but many are big fans of them.

I went with the Hornady because of the ease of changing calibers, and less expense to do so. The die bushing concept is wonderful! I use it to change around dies for a particular purpose. I load jacketed and cast, so I can move or change dies for either in about 10 seconds flat. I use dedicated dies so I don't have to adjust them in the bushing system. Just pop one out and pop in another and you are ready to go.

The LNL powder measure is good too. I bought the optional micrometers for both the large and small rotors. Good money spent. I can dial in a powder charge from my records and it will be right on. (Yes I check it always and update records with a new powder batch.)

Can't comment on the case feeder. I know they are pricey, but I haven't seen a barrage of complaints about them either, so they may work OK. It really may boil down to whether or not you are loading pistol or rifle. I don't see the point if you load mostly 30.06. There are videos on YouTube where guys have successfully made them, and others just showing off their use.

You can't go wrong with either machine, but study up on their differences.

Boolit Master

Go to www.ultimatereloader.com he reviews both and uses both.

Both are fine machines. Both have their quirks and little tricks to em. Both have great customer service. One is significantly more expensive than the other, however neither machine depreciates much. I have both.

For me, I like to run .223 on the Dillon and 9mm & .40 on one Hornady and .45 on the other. (2 LNL's)
    Performance reloading equipment.
    www.Inlinefabrication.com

Boolit Master
    I have a strong preference for the LNL-AP. I just think its a better press, a better design, for a whole bunch of reasons. The warranty on the lnl is just as good.

Having said that, both are the cream of the crop and you can sell out of either on ebay for more then full retail if you decide you don't like what you bought.

Most people don't realize but Hornady makes three different sized rotors for their powder measure. There's the pistol, and the rifle, and also the "bench rest". The bench rest is between the pistol & rifle and is a better choice for rifle calibers up to 30.06.
    Last edited by Oreo; 07-14-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Go to www.ultimatereloader.com he reviews both and uses both.
    Wonderful video. I love that it separates the priming into a discrete action, too.

Thank you.

I bought my Hornady progressive at least 15 years ago, still running strong. 50K+. I think Dillon makes a good machine but at the time the extra station made the difference for me. I like to crimp after the boolit is at the correct depth.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Dillon 550 and a Hornady LNL with case feeder, i like the Dillon but the Hornady is the better press and the case feeder was easy to assemble and works flawlessly

I have loaded about 10-12000 rounds with the LNL with no problems except when i didnt check things or clean up occasionally

the 550 is a great press and it has never given me any trouble either

if I were to make a recommendation it would be - buy the Hornady
    Last edited by pastor; 07-14-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    dillon and be done with it
    We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

[QUOTE=Oreo;1776756]I have a strong preference for the LNL-AP. I just think its a better press, a
    better design, for a whole bunch of reasons. The warranty on the lnl is just as good.

Having said that, both are the cream of the crop and you can sell out of either on ebay for more then full retail if you decide you don't like what you bought.......................

I think the RCBS is actually the "cream of the crop". If for nothing else because of the primer feed system. The same can be said for the Pro 2000 as either of the other two. YOMV...

I have had both pre and post "EZ" LNL's and have at least one of all of the Dillons. I would pick the 650 over the LNL everytime.

Banned

I too have 3 lnls and would surely vote for the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I have had both pre and post "EZ" LNL's and have at least one of all of the Dillons. I would pick the 650 over the LNL everytime.

Boolit Master

I have the 650 love it. is it better than the LNL ? I dont know I know hornady makes good stuff. I just like the 650 approach to tooling better than the LNL bushings. I do like the half step of the LNL but haven't noticed much of a problem with my 650 either. Both are good machines and if set up and maintained will give you good service.

Dillon 650
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I will say, the LNL-AP vs. the Dillon 650 is the right comparison to make. Too many folks wanna compare the LNL to the lower model Dillons. At least the 650 & the LNL have most of the same functions. What really separates them more then anything else is price.

With a 650 you can have a powder check die, bullet feeder and seat and crimp seperately, the LNL can't do that.

The Dillon 650 does cost more than the LNL, the case feed for the Hornady LNL cost more than the Dillon case feed. The reason is the base 650 already comes with the case feeder installed, why they incorrectly call the "case feeder" is only a collator or case feed feeder. They Hornady is not only the collator but the actual case feed parts as well. The Dillon being part of the machine instead of an add on is also why there are fewer problems with it vs the LNL.

Boolit Mold

Red & Blue & Green

Quote Originally Posted by Texandy View Post
    Sell me on one or the other, please.

The half step indexing seems attractive to me. And I like the die bushing concept.

But Dillon has the better warranty. But it seems like you do pay for it.

How good is the LnL case feed system? How finicky is priming?

I've heard the LnL was hinky about case ejection in early models; how well has the EZ-Ject worked to fix that?
    I also have both. I thought I would sell the LnL after I got the 650 and reality set in. They both have strengths and weaknesses, that is why I have kept both. Granted, it is a Boolit load of money for both but, if you have it do both. You wont be sorry. I got the LnL first and bought everything for six calibers then in my usual fashion I started breaking things. Alot of things, not due to manufacturing defects just operator stupidity and carelessness. Amazingly, Hornady replaced everything I broke without guestion or additional cost. The Dillon is a great unit, much faster than the LnL but, hardly as versatile with respect to stripping it down for single operations like seating 2000 rounds .002 deeper or depriming and resizing a 5 gallon bucket of brass. Love those LNL bushing wished someone would make a tool head to accept them for the 650. Then I would sell the LNL w/o question. They are finicky machines don't let anyone BS you. They both require attention to what's happening or mistakes will happen. LNL will be about half of the 650 straight across the board for everything from shell plates to powder measures. Shop prices Natchez Shooter Supply has the AP LNL for 389.00, $28 for shell plates, auto powder drop lower for $50. Warranties, absolutely no difference what so ever trust me I have even broke the main base plate that bolts to the ram, told them how I did it too, three days later had a new one. As you will find there is a huge gap between the red, blue factions. no matter which you chose get the strong mount they make it for both and a roller handle, two powder measures and spare parts for either one you chose. Read the instructions twice. The case feeder for 650 is the best $218 dollars I have spent, I know nothing about the LNL other than what I have seen on You tube, I do however doubt it performs like the video consistently. The LNL is a tweaker machine timing adjustment is a little PIA, the 650 is a powder slinger it is an easy fix though, LNL is a primer PIA, if anything gets in front of the primer slide it will crush, side load or break something. Canned air is you friend! A compressor and blow gun is what I use. The Hornady bullet feeder will work with either unit, much less expensive than Dillon. You cannot go wrong with either machine! Read the boards, make a list for each and then decide. Volume should be the main factor I reload 1500 - 3000 rounds per month. If your just reloading a couple calibers LNL or the 550 would be you best bets they are close in price and accessory cost.
    Last edited by djohncline; 07-17-2012 at 10:51 PM.

the 650 is a powder slinger it is an easy fix though
    Are you referring to powder spitting out of cases as it indexes? If so, there are different theories out there on fixes, but which one worked for you?
    Performance reloading equipment.
    www.Inlinefabrication.com

Boolit Master

Clip half a coil or so off the spring under the shellplate detent ball...