Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Aftermarket barrel - Can it ruin results with the stock barrel?

Boolit Master

Aftermarket barrel - Can it ruin results with the stock barrel?

I have a Glock 19 that in one JRN load group test clovered 5 of 8 rounds at 10yrds.

I know you old farts can do better, but when I got in a drop-in Jarvis barrel to convert over to boolits exclusively, I began to wonder: Will the tight-fitting drop-in Jarvis barrel ruin the grouping results with the stock barrel? Sure, the grouping isn't any exceptional, but I'd rather it not worse.

(I had intended to use my stock barrel for carry and the Jarvis barrel for target shooting, but if that compromises the thankfully unlikely scenario of needing good groups on the street, then I'll be force to reconsider my decision.)

I'm A Honcho!
    You will have to shoot it to find out.

Boolit Master

Well, as long as they don't find out about each other you'll probably be OK. Wait, that's the answer to a little different question...

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think so.
    Unless the Jarvis barrel somehow damages your 19, it will not affect anything.
    I've had several aftermarket barrels for Glocks and have never had any problems.
    The only issue might be a change in group location on the target. 2 of my aftermarket barrels were right on the money at 25 yards and one shot 2" to the left.

Boolit Master
    I do not see it, unless its makes a rub somewhere and is harder than the slide and starts wearing. That said my Glock 22 shows signs of wear where the barrel goes thru the slide, but it has a lot of rounds on it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I do not see it, unless its makes a rub somewhere and is harder than the slide and starts wearing.
    That's my concern. Different wear from different barrels, resulting in slop.

Boolit Master
    never had a problem with real guns. colt 1911, browning hi-power or rugers. but the tupperware guns i don't know.

try it and find out then write a report.

Boolit Master
    Glocks where designed with quite a bit of slop to start with. Thats why they tend to go bang everytime. They can be made to shot decent and are great for action events like USPSA and IDPA and also self-defense. But they don't have the bullseye accuracy of the 1911and reevolver types. That said by the time you wear it out you will probaly have 3 or 4 other glocks in the stable or have gotten rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    That's my concern. Different wear from different barrels, resulting in slop.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going to disagree about the slop in Glocks.
    There is some between the frame rails and slide, but barrel to slide lock up is as tight on my Glocks as it is on any other pistol I've owned.
    My aftermarket barrels fit just like the stock barrel-perfectly.
    I've never seen any signs of unusual wear or any change in accuracy with the stock barrels.

I think the lack of match grade accuracy in Glocks is due more to the unusual trigger and the polygonal bore. I've found few bullets that shoot under 3" at 25 yards with the stock barrels. Hornady HAP and XTP are about the only ones that do.
    OTOH with KKM barrels I get terrific accuracy with most any bullet including plated bullets.